• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    But it's not full of blood, gore, vampires etc.

Although I always had my suspicions about Kate. She could sink her teeth into me any day. wink
  1. I stopped watching for various reasons after season 3, so when we're at it. Is there *any* sensible explanation that at least until then everybody, really *everybody* who got shot, bit a bullet in the ABDOMEN? Nobody got shot in the head later? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    At least one person got shot in the head later. No blood.

Actually there was but you couldn't exactly see much.
  2. Steven wrote
    Me too. I'll likely enjoy it more than the original film's score... I've never really understood what all the fuss is about with that score?

Context is most of it, for me. I don't listen to it a lot on its own, but there's some very striking choices in the picture. Types of music you don't expect when they come.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, gotcha.

I must admit I've not seen the film, so there's no context for me.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

True, it's going to be inferior no matter what, and of course very very different. Soderqvist's universe for the film is very hard to even near. Meh.

How is it going to be inferior? Matt Reeves said he was doing an adaptation of the book, not redoing the original film's screenplay and visual set ups. I'm not defending the remake, it's just I'm tired of hearing people dismiss these remakes before they're released. Granted, a lot of them are bad but some turn out to be decent. Even rarer to see some great remakes.

But there is one remake I'm sure people are going to view as pointless: David Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (also a Swedish movie based on a best-selling novel). Apparently, they're shooting the remake primarily in Sweden and have the actors use Swedish accents. What's the point of a remake if you can't update it or give your own interpretation?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Matt C wrote
    But there is one remake I'm sure people are going to view as pointless: David Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (also a Swedish movie based on a best-selling novel). Apparently, they're shooting the remake primarily in Sweden and have the actors use Swedish accents. What's the point of a remake if you can't update it or give your own interpretation?

Indeed. This has got to be one of the most pointless remakes ever.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Most pointless Remake for me still is the Chris Rock-Version of "Death at a Funeral"... What for?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nope! King of the pointless remakes is easily PSYCHO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Nope! King of the pointless remakes is easily PSYCHO.

That was at the very least an interesting experiment (frame-for-frame remake) by an excellent filmmaker.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How is a frame-by-frame remake (i.e. doing exactly the same) an interesting experiment? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    How is a frame-by-frame remake (i.e. doing exactly the same) an interesting experiment? confused

If you're updating it to contemporary times, which they did, it's interesting to see Hitchcock's editing and framing in such a setting. Whether it's dated or not. As it came up, I don't think it was.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It seems such a pointless exercise, tampering with something that was never broken, inserting an unnecessary masterbation scene notwithstanding, a frame for frame remake where the original score still fitted like a glove was, to me, pointless. This is time and money that would have been better spent on making something original.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    What he said.
    Completely agree.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Thor wrote

Indeed. This has got to be one of the most pointless remakes ever.

I'm not going to completely dismiss the Tattoo remake, if only because Fincher is directing it and he's assembled a great cast like Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara and Robin Wright. But I wonder just how Fincher is going to make this his own film, and not ape the original.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

True, it's going to be inferior no matter what, and of course very very different. Soderqvist's universe for the film is very hard to even near. Meh.

How is it going to be inferior? Matt Reeves said he was doing an adaptation of the book, not redoing the original film's screenplay and visual set ups. I'm not defending the remake, it's just I'm tired of hearing people dismiss these remakes before they're released. Granted, a lot of them are bad but some turn out to be decent. Even rarer to see some great remakes.

1. Cause the original was very genuine and well, brilliant in many aspects including its music.
    2. Cause 99% of remake suck ass.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Far easier explanation: Americans and Brits in general tend to hate subtitles.
    And dubbing is really old hat (except for cartoons).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Who's looking forward to LOST then?

Come on the 14th! :party:
  3. Martijn wrote

Why ... it gives us that noticably missing masterbation scene, of course! What would this cinematic wonder be without someone wanking it? [/HEAVY SARCASM]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010
    Some Lost season 6 clips

Hot diggity, Doing Jacob's Work is one of those great cues I thought would never make the cut. I hoped it was the piece in the clip, and it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010
    Want!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010 edited
    :grabby:

Edit: A big thank you to Colosseum for providing me with high-res scans for the spinny cover. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    Here's a clip from Let Me In with (very) prominent use of Giacchino's music:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/let-me- … 1#movTitle
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    fail
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    More like "Let Lost In."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    lol, Erik! Well it's only a brief sample of the score, so we'll see. I must say, though, I like what I'm hearing so far even if it's a Lost cousin.

It's good to hear Giacchino's voice again; I just hope he's coming back a bit fresher! I'm of the opinion that his perhaps overwhelming workload caused the general quality of his work to fade a bit in 2009.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    MG has said Lost is "his" sound. While I've got no problem with it I'd like to hear something along the lines of MoH again from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    MG has said Lost is "his" sound.

I hope, found it will be, soon, again, yes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    I'm with ya on that, Anthony. His MoH scores were a lot of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    And still are, coincidentally. wink