• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012
    At the 19 seconds mark of "Get Carter." Those swirling strings are right out of Frontline.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Seriously? It's just some strings playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012 edited
    It's exactly the same string writing at 6:19 in "Escaping Gotha."

HAVE A LISTEN!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Huh, that actually is the same. It must have been a conscious decision?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I stand corrected. That has to be intentional, but I wonder why.

Perhaps it's like Super 8 where he just wanted to use the baddie music from SWON in a movie...except here he wanted to use a very specific string line... wink

Or it could just be plain coincidence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the army motif in Super 8 has more chance of being coincidence since it's not exactly the same (though it almost is). This sounds intentional. And I like it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If I remember correctly, somebody did ask him about the Super 8 thing and he said he really wanted to use it in a movie.

This piece is in the 10 minute clip Disney released (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaE5Zs8dAY) at the 7 minute mark. A guy is shouting "Colonel Powell" (jesus, I've just realised that's Bryan Cranston!) In Medal Of Honor Allied Assault you play Lt. Mike Powell...that's literally the only thing I can think of however.

Or maybe I'm grasping at straws here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    It's definitely intentional. If he wanted a generic building string line, he coulda easily come up with something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    If I remember correctly, somebody did ask him about the Super 8 thing and he said he really wanted to use it in a movie.

Ah, okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    Getting the John Carter score as we speak. Hopefully gonna go see the film this weekend!

The movie is a bit laughable at least to me, but the score is top.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    At the 19 seconds mark of "Get Carter." Those swirling strings are right out of Frontline.

-Erik-

And the whole score's melodic passages sound like lost smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Yup. Big mistake, IMHO.

Anthony wrote
    This piece is in the 10 minute clip Disney released (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaE5Zs8dAY) at the 7 minute mark. A guy is shouting "Colonel Powell" (jesus, I've just realised that's Bryan Cranston!) In Medal Of Honor Allied Assault you play Lt. Mike Powell...that's literally the only thing I can think of however.

Or maybe I'm grasping at straws here!

Yeah, you are because the MOH reference in Carter is from Frontline NOT Allied Assault. But I like your thinking! wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I said I was looking for any kinda reference! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yup. Big mistake IMHO.

Why? I think it works quite well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because it belongs in Secret Weapons Over Normandy... not in Super 8.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Anyone here have the John Carter score on CD? Pre-ordered it a LONG time ago on Amazon.co.uk, but it says "Temporarily out of stock". So I cancelled the order, and ordrered it somewhere else, who said they had 14 left in stock... but they haven't shipped it either, so getting a little worried here slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Note to self: Check your e-mail before posting stuff like this. The shipping confirmation was send 1 hour ago beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And the whole score's melodic passages sound like lost smile

For sure! Especially in Carter They Come, Carter They Fall. Some moments of that sound VERY similar to the There's No Place Like Home theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    No. They sound like Giacchino, who may or may not sound like Lost. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well now it belongs in Super 8 too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well now it belongs in Super 8 too.

It might be there but it's not welcome!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012 edited
    This cue is bloody awesome, but can't seem to find it on the soundtrack album. Have I just missed it, or is it not there? smile Kinda sounds like "The Prize Is Barsoom", but not quite the same...
  1. My review of JOHN CARTER, if anyone is interested smile

http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/03/30/john- … giacchino/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012
    Guys, I would appreciate your feedback on the below.

http://michaelgiacchinomusic.com/wordpress/

Do you think this would work as a replacement to the current site?

(I posted this in the Computer Help thread, although I imagine a lot of people ignore that one! wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012
    Ha, cool. Seems to work quite well. Is it what you expected? Great theme! Did any tweaks to it yourself?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's better than I expected. I haven't done many tweaks yet, though there are a few bits that I want to change which have me stumped for example, getting a parent page to stay highlighted in the menu when you're viewing a child page (e.g. keeping Soundtracks highlighted when on the Super 8 page).

There also seem to be some CSS rules which aren't determined by the theme but by the standard Wordpress CSS which I just can't find! I can see all the rules in Firebug but don't know where to go to edit them.

What I really want to know is if people liked the theme or not. I'm proud of the latest site I built at the end of last year, but IMO it doesn't have that "web 3.0" look many sites do nowadays, plus it has limited functionality and the entire site consists of static pages. I'd like to continue with the Wordpress site but it's just as case of is it as good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited
    Anthony wrote
    What I really want to know is if people liked the theme or not. I'm proud of the latest site I built at the end of last year, but IMO it doesn't have that "web 3.0" look many sites do nowadays, plus it has limited functionality and the entire site consists of static pages. I'd like to continue with the Wordpress site but it's just as case of is it as good?

I added a comment over on the computery thread the other day. Did you see it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes, thank you. Text contrast noted. smile

It's surprisingly easy to use premium themes - they are just like the regular ones only with more options, and the best ones will present everything to you in menus as well as giving great documentation so you can tweak to your hearts content!

The most time consuming thing I've found is working out where everything is. Rather than going "right, I want to change this" I need to work out what it is exactly and then where and what it's called in the menu. I'm sure you could do it!