• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013
    It is? Two scores ain't enough. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So this is new. Joel Iwataki is recording Star Trek Into Darkness - not Dan Wallin.

He has worked with JNH and Brian tyler a lot.
  1. So, Don Davis has what? Self-imposed retirement?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    So this is new. Joel Iwataki is recording Star Trek Into Darkness - not Dan Wallin.

Don't forget Elliot Goldenthal!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote

Anticipation has doubled.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2013
    STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS

Music Composed by
    Michael Giacchino
    (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Star Trek, The Incredibles)

This summer, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness. When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Composer Michael Giacchino — an Academy Award winner for his score for Up — reunites with director J.J. Abrams to steer the Enterprise through its darkest territory yet.

Paramount will open STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS nationwide on May 17.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 198 2
    Release Date: 05/14/13
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013
    Can't wait. I'll buy it in a heartbeat, knowing that there might be an expanded release within a year, and that I'll never listen to the regular release ever again smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Funny... I'll never spin the Deluxe Edition of Star Trek again. I very much prefer Giacchino's original 45 minute presentation!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a fan edit out there taken (I assume) from the expanded release which tops both releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He or she may or may not be amongst us here...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013
    I'm happy with the original release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    He or she may or may not be amongst us here...

I wonder if that idiot The Shadow knows?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Erik Woods wrote
    Funny... I'll never spin the Deluxe Edition of Star Trek again. I very much prefer Giacchino's original 45 minute presentation!

-Erik-

Well, don't get me wrong, the regular album was great. I must have listened to it a hundred times. But with the Deluxe Edition you got some great cues like "Jehosafats", "Chutes and Matter", "Frozen Dinner" and "Black Holes Have A Lot Of Pull", that I just really miss on the standard edition.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I find the standard STAR TREK album to be a little too much so there was never any way I was going to get the deluxe version. I like the score and am looking forward to hearing MG's second foray into Trek territory.
  2. The only reason why I'd like to hear the deluxe edition is because (just as it happened with the album version of The Last Airbender and Salt later on) is that due to budgetary constraints (paying re-use fees) they downmixed the choral part of the score, so they didn't have to pay the singers... The Deluxe Edition, as I've heard, gives the choir the right mix.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I thought it was the deluxe edition where the choir parts were missing?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Erik Woods wrote
    I thought it was the deluxe edition where the choir parts were missing?

Correct.
  3. Oh, still on the regular release it was downmixed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh, still on the regular release it was downmixed...

But at least it was there. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2013
    Michael on Stars Wars:

"I'm a huge Star Wars Fan, but one of the things that excites me most about it coming back is the chance to hear new John Williams music, not new Michael Giacchino music based on John Williams music. I'm excited to hear what he would do, so however it shakes out, it would be great."
  4. Anthony wrote
    Michael on Stars Wars:

"I'm a huge Star Wars Fan, but one of the things that excites me most about it coming back is the chance to hear new John Williams music, not new Michael Giacchino music based on John Williams music. I'm excited to hear what he would do, so however it shakes out, it would be great."

shows the admiration for John Williams to put yourself on the background in favor for another John Williams score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Him being a huge Williams fan, that's what I would imagine he would say. But this sure points in the direction, that Williams will be back. Either way, it's a win-win... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not a Giacchino fan at all, but I'm sure he could channel Williams if asked for it (like those MEDAL OF HONOR thingies). In that case, it would be tolerable. But if it's just a matter of channeling Williams, I would rather see guys like Joel McNeely, Mike Verta or even John Debney instead of Giacchino.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yeah, well, I very much like his work for "Lost" and "Rats cooking in Paris". I am lukewarm about "Star Trek" and undecided about "John Carter". Basically there is a lot I like about "John Carter", great orchestration, some nice themes, way too much temptrack, but that might be to blame to the producers. If Ciacchino gives me bold, memorable themes for "Star Trek II" then I'll be all right with him doing "Star Wars". But I agree with Thor, when it comes to channeling Williams - and music for SW will never be much more than that - then Joel McNeely would be among my prime choices: "Shadows of the Empire" remains the best piece of SW music not written by John Williams.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like LOST in context, but not as a listening experience. I like elements of JOHN CARTER as a listening experience, but not the whole thing. All the other stuff I've heard has left me cold. Feels very 'direction-less'.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    John Williams is pretty old though.... Who knows if he will be alive long enough to complete another Star Wars trilogy.
  6. Longevity genes are strong in this one. Isn't his father still alive? And even then he died around 100...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2013 edited
    Actually, he died in 1984 at the age of 79.
  7. Really? Then someone must have lied to me that his parents are still alive...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2013
    I too was under the impression there was longevity in the Williams genes?