• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015
    Earlier this year, Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino recorded his score to the new Brad Bird film, Tomorrowland. The movie, starring George Clooney, marks the fourth collaboration between Giacchino and Bird, and was written by Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof, and opened this past Friday (May 22, 2015). Recording took place at the Sony Pictures scoring stage, and ScoringSessions.com is excited to bring our readers exclusive photos from the sessions!

http://scoringsessions.com/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  1. My review of TOMORROWLAND, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/05/29/tomor … giacchino/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015
    Great review, sir!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015
    What are you guys' thoughts on Jurassic World?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor hates it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Which of course means it's quite good. The new theme, as heard in 'As The Jurassic World Turns', is one the year's best tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I think 1:18 of As the Jurassic World Turns is good, but the stuff before that honestly sounds pretty cheesy. And the use of the JW Island Journey theme at the end feels a little too forced, to me. Kind of shoehorned in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's a case of you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He couldn't use any of Williams' themes in his '98 Jurassic Park: The Lost World game score, and it suffers through it. It's still a fine game score (as indeed all of Giacchino's game scores are!), but it sorely lacks an awesome dinosaur theme.

I enjoy Giacchino's style...but I would really love it if he employed a a stronger thematic approach.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015
    William wrote
    What are you guys' thoughts on Jurassic World?

Meh-tacular! Giacchino's first miss of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor hates it.

Not entirely true. I love the John Williams bits.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I have some "issues" with it for sure. But overall I'm enjoying it.
    There's some very cool stuff going on in places.
    I certainly don't feel it's a "miss" for Giacchino.
    Just not quite up there with his other two 2015 mega-score outputs.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015
    Still awaiting the physical CD's but having seen both Tomorrowland and Jurassic World in cinemas in the past week, I much preferred the latter's score. The former was bland, without a single theme to match Giacchino's new one for JP.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love how the "live park cams" on the Jurassic World website show various areas of the park in operation - a queue for the gyrosphere, a cam on the Isla Nublar ferry, a maintenance alley with staff going about their day...

However now if you visit the page...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    The former was bland, without a single theme to match Giacchino's new one for JP.

Really? REALLY???? Each to their own but I much prefer the thematic structure of Tomorrowland to the unbalanced JW score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Shortly after finishing work on Tomorrowland, Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino was back at the stage, recording his score to the highly anticipated summer blockbuster, Jurassic World, directed by Colin Trevorrow. ScoringSessions.com also came back to document Giacchino's session, and we're excited to bring our readers exclusive photos from the sessions!

http://scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  2. Synchrotones reviews Jurassic World, should you be interested. smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  3. I saw the film yesterday, which itself was rather good (though i liked the first part more than the second). The score was like-able too, though I had occasionally a problem when the themes of Williams returned. Though I'm all for musical continuity, I felt that when they were used that they were out of place, for instance the piano melody when they wandered through the walls of the old Jurrassic Park or the glamor of the main theme that barely had the same effect of the first when they used it to give us the shot of the water park.

Though I was pleasantly surprised that Giacchino inserted the Lost World theme briefly at the end.

Arghh, perhaps it got to do to with the fact the film was soooooooo silently projected in the theater. Gonna love it more I think when I'm going to play this at home on our own sound system smile

Movie: 7 out of 10 (for now)
    Score as heard in the film (7 out of 10)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. When was the 'Lost World' theme quoted? I didn't catch that, was it Williams theme or Giacchino's 'Lost World' video game theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    When was the 'Lost World' theme quoted? I didn't catch that, was it Williams theme or Giacchino's 'Lost World' video game theme?

At the 1:50 mark in 'Our Rex Is Bigger Than Yours'.
  5. John Chambers wrote
    When was the 'Lost World' theme quoted? I didn't catch that, was it Williams theme or Giacchino's 'Lost World' video game theme?

Williams one, and I only remember it from the film way at the end when the final raptor appears for the kill in the final battle
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Steven wrote

Oh yeah, it's orchestrated so differently that completely passed me by. I'm liking the score but the action material is the weakest part to me.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh yeah, it's orchestrated so differently that completely passed me by. I'm liking the score but the action material is the weakest part to me.

I knew it was in there from reading comments but I didn't notice it when I saw the film, probably because I was cringing too heavily as it's used to score [spoiler]the raptor running in slow motion to save the day[/spoiler].
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Interesting... I never thought or feel the need to putting "“As the Jurassic World Turns” on my personal best of Giacchino playlist. Actually, no tracks from Jurassic World are on it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm very surprised (and perplexed) you don't like it, especially given how reminiscent of Christopher Gordon's music it is? Would it fare better were it not written for a Jurassic Park film I wonder? (And didn't have the John Williams theme inserted at the end.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just don't like it. I just don't feel it. It maybe the lethargic nature of the cue and the overly simple tune. And it really isn't doing ANYTHING in the middle portion of the cue.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I just don't like it. I just don't feel it.

Yes. This is a problem with most of the score. You think "oh right, here's some tense music...better pretend I'm scared", or "here's some sad sounding music...I'd better feel upset" rather than it actually being any of those things.

The best thing in it is the InGen/Hoskins theme, which would have worked perfectly as the military theme in Super 8.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes, I agree, Anthony. I do like that "march."

-Erik-