• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015
    BTW, Wha' happened to michaelgiacchinomusic.com?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015
    Steven wrote
    I'm very surprised (and perplexed) you don't like it, especially given how reminiscent of Christopher Gordon's music it is? Would it fare better were it not written for a Jurassic Park film I wonder? (And didn't have the John Williams theme inserted at the end.)

Yet again I'm agreeing with you. I didn't care about the shoehorned-in JW themes but thought this was a good, solid and entertaining score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015
    If you'll afford me a moment of fanboyism...how can anyone not like this!?

Mental.
  1. Nice piano play.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. My review of JURASSIC WORLD, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/06/30/juras … giacchino/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015
    I like INSIDE OUT a lot actually. Its main theme is catchy, but some tracks are a bit too theme parky perhaps. Looking forward to see the movie. It's the first Pixar in ages I actually want to see.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2015 edited
    The score is great (got the CD today, actually smile), and I too want to see the film. Sadly it doesn't open here for another two months sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2015
    "Michael Giacchino: Composer. Storyteller. Land based wind energy expert. Two out of three ain't bad." smile
  3. My review of INSIDE OUT, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/08/20/insid … giacchino/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016
    In November of last year, Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino scored his first film for Walt Disney Animation: the smash hit Zootopia. Recording took place at the Eastwood Scoring Stage at Warner Bros., and we’ve been provided with photos from the sessions for a gallery to share with our readers!

http://scoringsessions.com/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  4. My review of ZOOTOPIA, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2016/03/22/zooto … giacchino/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016
    Afraid the link broke but according to The Hollywood Reporter Giacchino is going to score DOCTOR STRANGE
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thor will be thrilled!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less. I have no idea who DOCTOR STRANGE is (there's a Hugo Strange on the GOTHAM show right now, are they making a film about him?), so whether it's Giacchino or Rick Astley doing the music, I really don't care. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's a Marvel character Thor, master of the mystic arts, considering the "worlds" Strange inhabits it could make for some interesting scoring ( not that you care wink )

I'm happy it's Giacchino though my personal preference would have been Christopher Young ( even better than that would be Elliot Goldenthal....some hope rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm all Marvel'ed out at this point, and I'm not so enamoured by Barnarby Cumberlandsausage as everyone else seems to be. But then I do like Giacchino, so this is great news! (As long as the suits let him do what he wants.)
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016
    In May and June of this year, Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino returned to the final frontier to score the third entry in the rebooted Star Trek series, Star Trek Beyond. Directed by Fast and Furious director Justin Lin, recording for the score took place at the Newman Scoring Stage at 20th Century Fox, and we’re thrilled to share our exclusive photos from the sessions with our readers!

http://scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016
  6. My review of STAR TREK BEYOND, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/07/26/star … giacchino/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016
    Giacchino replaces Desplat. Scores ROGUE ONE!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v … ces-929387

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Beat ya!

tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Damn!

It's not for the reason stated in that piece, though. I was expecting it to be JNH given Gilroy's involvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't think scheduling conflicts had anything to do with this!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm pleased mostly for Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016 edited
    lol
  7. Well, if FSM posters information is to be believed:

Desplat's film scores for 2016 were already in the can, so he should. have had tiem to write the score, which he said he would begin writing in mid June, and record in September. People keep citing reshoots, but they weren't that big, and reportedly Conrad Pope said decided to replace the composer, so it would seem now that Disney has Star Wars, we've gotten our first rejected Star Wars score. I can't imagine anything but pettiness getting in the way of geting that score out. Would they seriously not let a Star Wars score be released just 'cause it wasn't used? I guess we'll find out.

Somewhere ut that George Lucas is wiping the sweat off his brow and saying, "Woo -- dodged a bullet there!"

EDIT:

Okay, so supposedly the score never got recorded. I'm wondering how this worked -- if he was indeed going to record in September, that means the orchestra would have to have been booked in advance. You can't just show up and record. Did last second they just drop the booking?

Oh well. Maybe some computer demos will leak.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Noooooooooo. I'm about equal on desplat vs giacchino but the idea of an unreleased star wars score is utterly maddening. Especially after the heart stopping brilliance of light between oceans. I can only hope we at least get more Jupiter ascending and less Jurassic world in terms of recording sound and overall inspiration...
  9. I'm a Giacchino fanboy and I look forward for this score. Still the overall situation makes me sceptical. "Re-shoots to soften the tone" and a change of composers at this point indicates that Disney is playing it save. I would have loved to see a harsher approach at a Star Wars Story, something that I still think, Desplat would have bee a great choice for.
    I hope Giacchino will still be able to make this his own, that he is not forced do deliver a Williams emulation.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    They reshot nearly half this film, without its original director, who was the man who hired Desplat, and reportedly completely changed the tone of the film. I guess someone thought Giacchino was more in tune with what they're now going for.

I actually think Desplat is capable of writing more naturally like Williams than Giacchino is (Giacchino can do a pastiche of Williams very well as his early scores show, but his natural style is nothing like him - but listen to the theme even from Girl with a Pearl Earring and harmonically and tonally it's very much like Williams, some of the action music in Desplat's Harry Potter scores and Rise of the Guardians is very Williams-like also) so I wouldn't assume this decision has been made because they want someone more like Williams.