• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    There´s the problem, I think Iron Man had a score that fit the atmosphere perfectly.

vomit

I seriously would love to hear some of Debney's demos that he wrote for the film. I hope to God he gets to score the second picture.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    There´s the problem, I think Iron Man had a score that fit the atmosphere perfectly.

vomit

I seriously would love to hear some of Debney's demos that he wrote for the film. I hope to God he gets to score the second picture.

-Erik-

Basil Poledouris would have been perfect for Iron Man.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry for the reaction, but if you ask me, Ramin is on the list of those people who should never be writing film music in the first place. The leader of the list is Tyler Bates smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wouldn't mind seeing Elfman doing Iron Man, even though it would be the biggest cliche ever. (Elfman on another superhero film?!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    I wouldn't mind seeing Elfman doing Iron Man, even though it would be the biggest cliche ever. (Elfman on another superhero film?!)

Well, he IS the best at them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Given that this is the Giacchino board, I´ll keep it short.

@ Erik: (Debney) Yeah, that would be cool.
    @ Timmer: (Poledouris) Yeah, that would have been cool.
    @ Demetris: (Ramin and Tyler suck) Harsh, but fair enough, considering your taste.
    @ Anthony: (Elfman = Cliche) Yes, it would be.
    @ Southall: (Elfman is the best) No, he isn´t.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile And? Your point is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ Southall: (Elfman is the best) No, he isn´t.

Who is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ramin Badelt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2009 edited
    Yay, the pioneers of the superhero score mashed all together.

Let's make a list of all the composers who have written a greater number of excellent superhero scores than Danny Elfman. I'll start the ball rolling with [spoiler]there isn't anyone[/spoiler].
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Agree, btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Yay, the pioneers of the superhero score mashed all together.

Let's make a list of all the composers who have written a greater number of excellent superhero scores than Danny Elfman. I'll start the ball rolling with [spoiler]there isn't anyone[/spoiler].

Well, sure Elfman is the main composer to go to with a superhero movie, and since that is his specialty, he has scored more superhero films than other composers. And sure, his two Batman-scores probably contains some of the best superhero music I have ever heard. But I could still name a few other fantastic superhero scores NOT composed by Elfman:

Superman - John Williams
    X-Men 3 - John Powell
    Hellboy - Marco Beltrami
    Batman Forever/Batman & Robin - Elliot Goldenthal
    Spider-man 3 - Christopher Young
    The Rocketeer - James Horner

And a little stretch: Unbreakable - James Newton Howard... smile

So Elfman doesn't have to do every single superhero film - there ARE other options! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Artworks wrote
    So Elfman doesn't have to do every single superhero film - there ARE other options! smile

Oh, absolutely. I entirely agree. Elfman's done quite enough of them, I think. But someone suggested he wasn't the best at them... with which I couldn't agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Williams wrote SUPERMAN.

If you pyt all the other serprehero scores together they would still come 2nd.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009 edited
    Panthera wrote
    2009 seems promising for Giacchino. Star Trek, Up, and Land of the Lost?
    All of them seem like they could be great source material to work with.

Yes, I agree. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I suspect a small corner of Canada is erupting in agreement!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I suspect a small corner of Canada is erupting in agreement!

I'm just glad to see that the "damage" I did last night was no worse than a bit of bad spelling. I stand by what I said though, however drunk I was last night the truth still came out. wink
  1. Elfman did ONE good superhero score (and not a great one if you ask me). Everything that came after that was a rewrite/variant/samestuff score. Elfman wrote one superhero score, which he continues to use every time he´s asked to do a superhero score.

In my book, that doesn´t make him the best superhero movie composer, but the best "I´ll write this stuff as long as I get hired to do it again and again" composer, which is absolutely no accomplishment at all.

So, who IS the best superhero movie composer if not Danny Elfman?

The answer is simple. Just look at all those superhero series out there:

Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, none of these series had exclusive composers. Even Spider-Man 3 got Young, and look what happened.

The only series that managed to keep its musical identity was Superman.

And that was because John Williams laid down such an amazing groundwork that no one had the balls to scratch that away and try something new. Even after 25 years, Ottman was unable to get himself rid of Williams.

The best superhero score ever is Superman - The Movie, composed by John Williams, which means he is the best superhero score composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Best superhero scores...

SUPERMAN - John Williams.........above and beyond ALL OTHERS.

ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

THE PHANTOM - David Newman

SUPERGIRL - Jerry Goldsmith

Not many others, James Bond is a murdering bastard so he don't count tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Best superhero scores...

Robocop is not a superhero movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009 edited
    King Rao wrote

I agree. It´s a SciFi cop drama. biggrin
  2. I concur.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. But I'd say it's rather a thriller tongue
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    King Rao wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Best superhero scores...

Yes it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Elfman did ONE good superhero score (and not a great one if you ask me). Everything that came after that was a rewrite/variant/samestuff score. Elfman wrote one superhero score, which he continues to use every time he´s asked to do a superhero score.

In my book, that doesn´t make him the best superhero movie composer, but the best "I´ll write this stuff as long as I get hired to do it again and again" composer, which is absolutely no accomplishment at all.

So, who IS the best superhero movie composer if not Danny Elfman?

The answer is simple. Just look at all those superhero series out there:

Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, none of these series had exclusive composers. Even Spider-Man 3 got Young, and look what happened.

The only series that managed to keep its musical identity was Superman.

And how much better the sequel scores could have been if they weren't watered-down rehashes of Williams's brilliant original.

What I like so much about Elfman's work in the genre is the entirely different musical identities he gave each of those films. Batman, Hulk and Spiderman are I guess the three main ones and they're all excellent and all entirely different from each other, which is why he gets my vote (even though in isolation perhaps Superman is the best superhero score). Throw in the not-quite-so-good (but still good!) Darkman and Dick Tracy (and does Hellboy 2 count?) and you have a wonderfully rich, diverse body of work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009 edited
    I don´t agree (as you may have guessed), but that has a lot to do with me just not recognizing Elfman´s different superhero work as so different. Hulk is kind of different, all right, but I have a hard time seperating the action from Batman, Spider-Man, or Darkman. Even the thematic material doesn´t feel very different to me. It may be Elfman´s specific orchestrations, the style he writes in. I have the same complaint with Horner. Both can be quite different from their usual stuff, if they want to (Horner´s Name of the Rose immediately springs to mind), and Elfman can write very beautiful stuff, but so far, I miss it in his superhero work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    I suppose a few folks might be interested in this forthcoming release:

LOST: Season 4
    Original Television Soundtrack

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino

It's here! Michael Giacchino’s brilliant soundtrack, which follows every mysterious twist and turn of Lost’s addictive Fourth Season. Exploding with excitement, Lost reached new heights in the fourteen episodes of its fourth season. More than three months after their fateful crash, the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 discover that the only thing more dangerous than the island might be the people who have come to rescue them. The mind-blowing story was told with original flashbacks and mind-bending flash-forwards. There was no shortage of drama in Lost’s thrilling Season 4 ... just what you would expect from one of the most groundbreaking shows in television history.

Michael Giacchino’s music has played a huge role in the series from the very beginning and fans have been dying for our latest collection of Lost musical highlights — over 75 minutes of Season 4’s emotional and thrilling score.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 964 2
    Release Date: 05/12/09
  4. I see they've learned from Season 3. Two discs of tv music don't sell twice as much! wink

And as for superhero scoring, it's hard for me to disagree with Elfman. Profokiev gothic stuff for Batman, jungle drums and duduk for Hulk, electronics-tone colour festival for Spiderman, fairy tale Herrmann for Hellboy... They're only as similar as they are, and given they're by the same composer, it should be no surprise that there's some similarities there. (Though for me, Batman and Spiderman are night and day - the main titles have a similar energy to them, but just about everything differs from that point on. It's like the John Williams of Crystal Skull put next to the John Willliams of Raiders of the Lost Ark.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LOST 4 and this thread hasn't gone nuts!???? shocked confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    biggrin shocked

I'm just about to finish Season 4 on DVD!