• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    Great news. Snow Queen especially might be very interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good to see him keeping busy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    The Snow Queen

omg
    I've heard that project was cancelled years ago (because "nobody wants to see hand-drawn fairy tales" slant )... now they're bringing it back! wow!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    Dunno if it's been posted here before, great interview with Alan Menken here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKhtZ7F13UQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Dunno if it's been posted here before, great interview with Alan Menken here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKhtZ7F13UQ

That interview has been around for a while. To be perfectly honest, I get a little uncomfortable watching it, mostly because a) the interviewer clearly has no idea what he's talking about and b) I hate that "Hollywood smooching"-style interviews where they go "Oh my Gawd, you're the best thing since Beethoven!"-type adulation. I just get embarassed and cringe in my seat when I hear and see that, probably even more so than Menken himself.

Perhaps it's more common in American culture, but it's the complete opposite of our own.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Thor wrote
    I get a little uncomfortable watching it, mostly because a) the interviewer clearly has no idea what he's talking about and b) I hate that "Hollywood smooching"-style interviews where they go "Oh my Gawd, you're the best thing since Beethoven!"-type adulation.

haha Exactly my thoughts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sylvos wrote
    Thor wrote
    I get a little uncomfortable watching it, mostly because a) the interviewer clearly has no idea what he's talking about and b) I hate that "Hollywood smooching"-style interviews where they go "Oh my Gawd, you're the best thing since Beethoven!"-type adulation.

haha Exactly my thoughts!

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    So, Disney's Rapunzel film (being scored by Menken) is now named Tangled and will be released in November. Info taken from Facebook -

"Hey everyone, I'm Roy Conli, producer of Disney's next animated film. I have some exciting news to ...share, and it was important to me that YOU guys – the Disney fans – hear it first. I want to tell you about Walt Disney Animation Studio's 2010 release, Tangled. It’s a really fresh,
    smart take on the Rapunzel story.

In our film, the infamous bandit Flynn Rider meets his match in the girl with the 70 feet of magical golden hair. We're having a lot of fun pairing Flynn, who's seen it all, with Rapunzel, who's been locked away in a tower for 18 years.

I’m so proud of the crew working on this film – they’re doing a fantastic job creating an awesome story with great characters and a stunning world – and it's all going to look amazing in 3D. All of us
    here at the studio are incredibly excited for you to see Tangled when it comes out in theaters this November."
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Cool. Looking forward to hear more music from Menken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010
    The Tangled soundtrack is up for pre-order - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042K … B0042KZJZU
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010
    the tangled

cd cover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images … mp;s=music
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Looks like two Barbie dolls...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or one chick and one really gay dude which has been very trendy lately wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    TANGLED

Soundtrack release of new Alan Menken score

1. When Will My Life Begin? Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel'
    2. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise 1) Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel'
    3. Mother Knows Best Performed by Donna Murphy as 'Mother Gothel'
    4. When Will My Life Begin? (Reprise 2) Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel'
    5. I've Got a Dream Performed by Brad Garrett as 'Hook-Hand Thug,' Jeffrey Tambor as 'Big Nose Thug,' Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel,' Zachary Levi as 'Flynn Rider' and Ensemble
    6. Mother Knows Best (Reprise) Performed by Donna Murphy as 'Mother Gothel'
    7. I See the Light Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel' and Zachary Levi as 'Flynn Rider'
    8. Healing Incantation Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel'
    9. Flynn Wanted Score
    10. Prologue Songs and Score Performed by Donna Murphy as 'Mother Gothel' and Delaney Stein as 'Young Rapunzel'
    11. Horse with No Rider (Score)
    12. Escape Route (Score)
    13. Campfire (Score)
    14. Kingdom Dance (Score)
    15. Waiting for the Lights (Score)
    16. Return to Mother (Score)
    17. Realization and Escape (Score)
    18. The Tear Heals Score and Song Performed by Mandy Moore as 'Rapunzel'
    19. Kingdom Celebration (Score)
    20. Something That I Want Performed by Grace Potter

Info and source article here:
    http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    While I still don't think the guy should have won as many Oscars as he did in the 90's Menkin certainly is an accomplish and incredibly skilled composer/song writer! I'm looking forward to this one very much!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, he has the vein of Disney's lush in him pretty naturally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    While I still don't think the guy should have won as many Oscars as he did in the 90's Menkin certainly is an accomplish and incredibly skilled composer/song writer! I'm looking forward to this one very much!

-Erik-

Me too. He's incomparable at what he does. The Oscars for Best Score were probably not deserved but the Best Song ones certainly were (indeed I think he should have won more of those, certainly for Enchanted recently).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010
    "I See The Light" from Tangled is available to listen in full from Walt Disney Studios' awards promotion website.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010
    Seems great so far. Can't wait for the full thing. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010 edited
    Tangled clips
    http://www.amazon.com/Tangled/dp/B004B4LG2M/

It sounds more Broadway-ish than I expected! smile

(...Prologue at the 10th track? confused )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Miya wrote
    Tangled clips
    http://www.amazon.com/Tangled/dp/B004B4LG2M/

It sounds more Broadway-ish than I expected! smile

Not sure that's a seller for me. I prefer his more dramatic work. Less Broadway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Thanks for posting up the samples, Miya.
    I am not familiar with the '60 rock music that were supposedly the main source of inspiration here, but what I am hearing here sounds closer to the Miley Cyrus song on Bolt (a film that was also helmed by Tangled directors. hmm). It seems that Disney has gone further into attracting youngsters to this film than just a title/story change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just got this one today... I'll give it a spin tomorrow and hopefully will have it on my show soon!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Let us know if it sounds stronger than what the samples suggest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    After all the rumors about modern popsongs that would've gotten it's way into the film, I'm very glad to determine, listening to these songs, that the songs are still classic Disney - that is, with a back-up of full orchestra and Broadwayish in style. It's that classic, timeless quality that I feel works best for these kinds of fairytales and is what the competition (DreamWorks, mainly) have ruined in their films.

Sylvos wrote
    I am not familiar with the '60 rock music that were supposedly the main source of inspiration here, but what I am hearing here sounds closer to the Miley Cyrus song on Bolt (a film that was also helmed by Tangled directors. hmm). It seems that Disney has gone further into attracting youngsters to this film than just a title/story change.

I don't exactly see this. Sure, the first track is a Miley Cyrus kinda song, but it's probably the 'radio edit'/end credits version of the main song. As you can see, it is also present further on, now with a back-up by orchestra and more traditional in-character singing. I.e.: not that forced moderney, and certainly not Bolt-ey.

Miya wrote

Well, the album seems to be sequenced like Disney always does, namely starting with the songs and then, in the second half, the score. Prologue obviously functions as the opening of the score-section, probably starting out as a song and then segueing into orchestral score (the sample ends pretty big, choir and all!). I can see the logic there smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    Thanks for the samples! smile

I mainly checked the score portion (which is what I'm mostly interested in anyway). This seems to be a case where they didn't choose the best parts of the tracks for sampling, but still there seem to be some great classic Menken-style action cues in there (Flynn Wanted, Horse with No Rider). Here's hoping The Tear Heals is a grand orchestral knockout like Storybook Ending from Enchanted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    Thanks for the samples! smile

I mainly checked the score portion (which is what I'm mostly interested in anyway). This seems to be a case where they didn't choose the best parts of the tracks for sampling, but still there seem to be some great classic Menken-style action cues in there (Flynn Wanted, Horse with No Rider). Here's hoping The Tear Heals is a grand orchestral knockout like Storybook Ending from Enchanted.

Didn't like the songs AT ALL (from the samples), but the score sounded OK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    BobdH wrote
    I don't exactly see this. Sure, the first track is a Miley Cyrus kinda song, but it's probably the 'radio edit'/end credits version of the main song. As you can see, it is also present further on, now with a back-up by orchestra and more traditional in-character singing. I.e.: not that forced moderney, and certainly not Bolt-ey.

There are numerous Menken interviews on this subject. My personal impression after reading most of those was that Menken was indeed asked to bring modernity to his music. Apparently He's even had more rejected songs for this film than anything else he has worked on. From his recent Variety interview: "Every project has its own trunk," Menken says, using the old Tin Pan Alley term for songs written and then discarded. "Tangled has a trunk and a half."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Alan Menken Honored with Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Nov. 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    In case anyone is interested, you can listen to Daniel Schweiger's interview with Menken regarding his work for Tangled, his working relationship with Disney, the awards he has won, and more, here.

Also can anyone with better listening skills confirm that I am wrong and the choir on the album is not sampled stuff?