• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    Sylvos wrote
    Also can anyone with better listening skills confirm that I am wrong and the choir on the album is not sampled stuff?

You never know these days. A sampled chorus sounds just as good as a live chorus. For instance, the chorus used in Debney's Lair is all sampled.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    The reason I got skeptical here is that besides being mixed so low, on several occasions I felt there is a slight gap between the notes that the choir is singing. With the real choir, what the voices are singing just flows from one note to another, but with sampled stuff they often simply jump from one note to another. No transitions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Alan Menken to write music for ‘Captain America’

According to Badass Digest, Alan Menken is involved in Joe Johnston’s upcoming comic book adaptation of Captain America: The First Avenger.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … n-america/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    y'what?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Are there going to be songs?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Are there going to be songs?

I just wondered that? Maybe he'll be providing some pseudo-period songs for the film?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not very clear what his involvement will be yet, probably song-writing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They could've asked him to do the score as well. I think that ability of his is really underestimated among the mainstream Hollywood biz.
  2. He was a score guy before a song guy, right? I mean, he didn't write the lyrics to Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast - he wrote the melodies. I could see him writing the score for this and I think a lot of people will end up really liking it. He strikes me as the kind of guy that would go kind of old school on a superhero film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    He was a songwriter before anything - the scores only came as a result of doing the songs for Disney. I don't think he was great at it to begin with, but recently the non-song parts of his scores have been impressive (in Tangled and Enchanted, for instance, and his last score-only film, The Shaggy Dog, was very good).

He'd be a weird choice for this, but a refreshingly unpredictable one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you don't think this man can write epic action music then please sample THIS! Very Carl Orff indeed but this showcases Menken's potential for dead serious scoring!

If this news is true then it's one of the most ballsy assignments of the year... that is destined to be rejected.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    If this news is true then it's one of the most ballsy assignments of the year... that is destined to be rejected.

Sadly, hard to disagree! But I guess he's only been hired to write a song or two...
  3. No way Hollywood is going to let him score it. I would have said Horner would get it, but he might be busy with those two upcoming scores and may not be able to fit this in, and if he shoved it in and cranked out another effort that makes fans yearn for his glory days, that'll be anoither wasted oppritunity for someone in Hollywood who could have done a wiz-bang job.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm out of touch. What's Horner got coming up? I'd love him to do this.
  4. "Song of Names"

and this film:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … cristiada/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    If you don't think this man can write epic action music then please sample THIS! Very Carl Orff indeed but this showcases Menken's potential for dead serious scoring!

-Erik-

ah The Hunchback, killer soundtrack, killer score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    And He Shall Smite The Wicked from Hunchback is really terrific too.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

ah The Hunchback, killer soundtrack, killer score

Hunchback is a favorit of mine! "Sanctuary" is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    If that is true, I'd say it's a brilliant choice! However, I'll reserve my applause untill it's official or untill it's actually done.

Love Menken, and have long been waiting for him to branch out outside the Disney/musical mold.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011
    Nice little interview with Menken about Captain America:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-beat-go … in-america

He wishes he had scored the film as well as writing the song and asked to be considered to do so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited
    That would have been very interesting!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    That would have been very interesting!

-Erik-

Indeed! But for that it takes a leap of imagination and it seems to me that Hollywood rarely has the balls or the imagination for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've so been hoping for when he is finally recognized widely for his scores as well, not just songs. Tangled is one of my top favourite scores from last year, even though I wasn't too keen on the songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That would be very interesting. I'm a big Menken fan, but have waited endlessly for him to take on something unusual...to branch out into territory we haven't really heard him before.

But as Erik said...once again, Hollywood went for the "safe choice".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011
    I usually think he's basically a broadway songwriter than a film composer, but in Tangled I'm impressed by the score rather than the songs... or rather the songs are too weak and incoherent. Some are too pop and some are too broadway...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    Sound Clips from "Mirror, Mirror" over at CinemaMusica.de:
    http://www.cinemamusica.de/1728/alan-me … ror-mirror

Enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012
    I love Menken's work...though I am a child of the 90s, so I suppose I grew up with his Broadway-esque style as the standard in my mind for what a Disney movie should sound like. I loved his work in Tangled, but I was kind of disappointed that they picked someone else to do the soundtrack for Brave (Doyle?). Perhaps Disney has finally decided that they're going a different direction than the classic Menken way?

Perhaps I'm also biased because I much prefer a kids' movie where I walk out singing a song/melody (Under the Sea, anyone?) than just gushing about the story.

As for his work in Broadway musicals, I was fortunate enough to play in the pit for a production of Beauty and the Beast, and I think the expanded music needed in the musical showed off his talent much more than the Disney movie ever did. Beautiful scoring, and amazing horn parts (the most important part...to a horn player anyway!).

By the way, hi! I'm Allison :D
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
  6. Maybe Disney "pigeon-hole" Menken as the main go-to guy for music that is song-heavy? Even though his scores are very dramatic they tend to go with others for score-dominated movies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    Interestingly, ever since they started making that move, I've started moving away from their movies. Maybe I'm too traditional in liking the feel of his music/scores/songs, but I'm seeing other score-dominated movies outside of Disney doing much better than those score-dominated movies from Disney. At least IMO.

Perhaps they simply feel he's outdated. I wonder if they would ever hire someone to do what he has done (in the sense of composing the score/songs for several decades worth of movies for Disney)? Or have the days of a "composer-in-residence" at the studios moved on?

Nonetheless, I'll keep listening to the scores of Menken's work and enjoying them smile
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche