• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    Alan Menken rules. Simple as.

Surprised they moved away from him (and that style of film) since it was so successful.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    zond0 wrote
    I love Menken's work...though I am a child of the 90s, so I suppose I grew up with his Broadway-esque style as the standard in my mind for what a Disney movie should sound like. I loved his work in Tangled, but I was kind of disappointed that they picked someone else to do the soundtrack for Brave (Doyle?). Perhaps Disney has finally decided that they're going a different direction than the classic Menken way?

I believe that Disney has invested a lot of resources to keep the animated musical alive and relevant over the past decade. Of course Alan Menken is a unique asset to them, and perhaps it has been their belief in his talents alone that has funded films like Tangled, Home on the Range, or Enchanted, into production? The marketing tactics certainly seem to point in that direction, with movie posters headlined: "from the composer of Little Mermaid, Aladdin", etc.

But to take a film that Menken is an obvious choice to score, and give it to someone else, doesn't have to be dramatic. It could be a possibility to explore different story-telling possibilities, work methods, and styles. Or it could be that Menken didn't believe in the project or had other commitments. I'm pretty sure however, that when the perfect project comes along, Menken will be fired up and ready to deliver!
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    So I suppose this leads to my next question: Why has no one reviewed his scores on here? I realize that they're only half "score" and half "song"...does this make his stuff not qualify? Just curious.
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
  1. I can say I never reviewed a Menken score for the simple fact stated: half songs, half score. I own one boot of "Beauty and the Beast" -- I've skipped all others since I don't want a bunch of songs. Even if some are enjoyable. And I don't think it's fair to review the score and skip the songs which Menken sometimes worked on.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    There's no Disney film after, say, 1967 I am able to see without fast-forwarding through the songs. slant
    It's just...ugh....I'm already extremely prejudiced against musicals, but the syrupy awfulness of latter-day Disney just makes me want to tear my ears off.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    There's no Disney film after, say, 1967 I am able to see without fast-forwarding through the songs. slant
    It's just...ugh....I'm already extremely prejudiced against musicals, but the syrupy awfulness of latter-day Disney just makes me want to tear my ears off.

I'm with you on that bro slant 1967? I'm guessing it ends at THE JUNGLE BOOK?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Trust in me...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012 edited
    I meant to watch The Aristocats at the weekend. I remember this being a good film. I loved the look of the animation when I saw it as a child (not sure that it was when it first came out in 1970). Can't remember many of the songs though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Trust in me...

INDEED I WILL!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I meant to watch The Aristocats at the weekend. I remember this being a good film. I loved the look of the animation when I saw it as a child (not sure that it was when it first came out in 1970). Can't remember many of the songs though.

Surely everybody wants to be an (aristo)cat!
  2. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Sweeet!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Trust in me...

INDEED I WILL!

Guess that's what friends are for. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Trust in me...

INDEED I WILL!

Guess that's what friends are for. slant

biggrin hug
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Sweeet!

Far out man!

:psychedelic:

:lsd:

:acid:

:jimmorrison:

:timothyleary:

???? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    flash
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012
    Huh, maybe it comes from being from the generation that grew up with the latter-day Disney. Nonetheless, I love the score and the songs from a lot of those movies. Perhaps reviewing all of those will be one of my life goals lol
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
  3. I grew up with "latter-day Disney." THE LITTLE MERMAID was the first film I remember seeing in theaters (I was pretty young). I think Menken was/is great for Disney. THE LITTLE MERMAID, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, ALADDIN, ENCHANTED, and TANGLED all have great songs (not all of the songs are great, mind you, but they all have at least one great song). However, I don't own a single one of those albums. If I'm going to sit down and listen to a song-score album from any of those (excellent) films, I'd rather just watch the film and see the songs and hear the score in context. That's just me, I'm sure.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012
    Actually, I reviewed the music of several of Menken's Disney musicals for a fake webpage we were supposed to make in IT class. That was in high school. I think those reviews are long gone now, but remember spending more time on them than the actual computer-related things...

"ever just the same/ever a surprise/ever as before/ever just as sure/as the sun will rise" (Howard Ashman was a genius beyond reason!)

The worktape from that song is as hilarious as it is touching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-SbS-TrEQ smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    zond0 wrote
    Huh, maybe it comes from being from the generation that grew up with the latter-day Disney. Nonetheless, I love the score and the songs from a lot of those movies. Perhaps reviewing all of those will be one of my life goals lol

Same here. I'm a HUGE Menken fan and love basically everything he's done -- to a varying degree. Even though I was already 12 by the time THE LITTLE MERMAID came around, I feel connected to latter-day Disney even more than the older stuff (disregarding the shorts). The old ones I'm more into the films themselves than the scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013
    Our God-of-Disney-Musical Alan Menken changed his job in Japan...?

http://twitter.com/AIMenken/status/322118605900771328
    AIMenken: Fisherman Al at Tokyo fish market @ 築地場外市場 (Tsukiji Outer Market) http://instagram.com/p/X8QRv1F7Rz/
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015
    Oscar-winning songwriter and composer Alan Menken has literally written the soundtrack to the childhood of millions, and he's bringing that special brand of magic to the small screen with ABC Studios' new medieval musical comedy Galavant. The show features songs composer by Menken and lyrics by Glenn Slater, and an underscore composed by Menken with Christopher Lennertz. ScoringSessions.com is delighted to bring our readers exclusive photos from the scoring sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015
    dgoldwas wrote
    Oscar-winning songwriter and composer Alan Menken has literally written the soundtrack to the childhood of millions, and he's bringing that special brand of magic to the small screen with ABC Studios' new medieval musical comedy Galavant. The show features songs composer by Menken and lyrics by Glenn Slater, and an underscore composed by Menken with Christopher Lennertz. ScoringSessions.com is delighted to bring our readers exclusive photos from the scoring sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!

The show is completely absurd, basically a musical version of Princess Bride, but I am quite enjoying Menken and Lennertz' music. The songs are incredibly catchy.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016
    Beating the odds, the quirky medieval musical comedy Galavant was renewed – and award-wining songwriters Alan Menken and Glenn Slater returned to provide the wisecracking hysterical songs for the 8-episode run. The underscore was once more handled by Menken along with collaborator Christopher Lennertz, and ScoringSessions.com is delighted to bring our readers exclusive more photos from this season’s scoring sessions!

http://scoringsessions.com/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  4. My review of the score for new live-action remake of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, for anyone who's interested. Warning: this one is pretty in-depth!

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/04/04/beau … an-menken/

Jon
  5. Well done, Jon. That's an epic review there. This must be the one you were having writer's block over? I'd say yo got past that. I'm glad somebody liked the title song, but I can't Thompson's accent just drives me nuts. Same with McGreggor's accent in be our guest. They're so distracting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2019
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    Is anyone intending to go to Hollywood in Vienna next year, where Menken is the guest of honour? I will do everything in my power to go there, and to get an interview. Menken is top 3-4 of my most desired interviewees.
    I am extremely serious.