• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    This thread is dedicated to a Hollywood and Broadway composer, ALAN MENKEN.

His film works include:
    # Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
    # The Little Mermaid (1989)
    # Rocky V (the song "The Measure of a Man") (1990)
    # Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    # Newsies (1992)
    # Aladdin (1992)
    # Pocahontas (1995)
    # The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    # Hercules (1997)
    # Home on the Range (2004)
    # A Christmas Carol (2004)
    # The Shaggy Dog (2006)
    # Enchanted (2007)
    # Tangled (2010)
    # Captain America: The First Avenger (the song "Star Spangled Man") (2011)
    # Jock (song contribution) (2012)
    # Lidsville (TBA)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    I don't understand it. For all the great music this guy has written, so many of his themes just get on my nerves. It's really weird! spin sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My favourite Menken scores - Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast, Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Home on The Range and Enchanted.

I also like Hercules and Shaggy Dog but little less than the aforementioned titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Aladdin was the second score I got when I first started collecting scores, actually biggrin
  1. There's only one superior Alan Menken score for me and that is Hunchback of Notre Dame, probably capturing some of the best choral music ever written. The threatening scale, the power and the drive alone are really superior and nothing that Menken has topped yet.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Menken is GREAT!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Menken is GREAT!

Oh yes! Incomparable at what he does.
  2. Oh yes, Hunchback is definitely his best! I also like some from Beauty and the Beast, like the prologue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    There's only one superior Alan Menken score for me and that is Hunchback of Notre Dame, probably capturing some of the best choral music ever written. The threatening scale, the power and the drive alone are really superior and nothing that Menken has topped yet.

Many people have mentioned this particular score and yes, it's quite good but nothing to get over excited by. I'm sure I could name 100's of better choral tracks? ( I'll add : IMO wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    There's only one superior Alan Menken score for me and that is Hunchback of Notre Dame, probably capturing some of the best choral music ever written. The threatening scale, the power and the drive alone are really superior and nothing that Menken has topped yet.

Many people have mentioned this particular score and yes, it's quite good but nothing to get over excited by. I'm sure I could name 100's of better choral tracks? ( I'll add : IMO wink )

I just didn't expect anything from this magnitude from Menken, perhaps that's the reason why I was so surprised with these choral tracks. Hence the reason I like them so much wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

I just didn't expect anything from this magnitude from Menken, perhaps that's the reason why I was so surprised with these choral tracks. Hence the reason I like them so much wink

Yeah I can understand that. I remember first hearing the huge choral track on Snow Falling On Cedars which blew me away.

I think some film score fans took against Menken because of his multiple Oscar wins, quite understandable to an extent when you consider how many Oscars the likes of Goldsmith, Morricone and North received.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Timmer wrote

I think some film score fans took against Menken because of his multiple Oscar wins, quite understandable to an extent when you consider how many Oscars the likes of Goldsmith, Morricone and North received.

I don't agree with that way of thinking. Just because Menken won more oscars than the favorable Goldsmith or Morricone, doesn't mean people should bash Menken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    Still not sure why Menken was replaced for Princess and the Frog. I think all his works were absolutely brilliant, even the much criticized Hercules... Why did Lasseter want to fix something that ain't broke?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. I second the motion of the member for Bristol.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I second the motion of the member for Bristol.

biggrin cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009 edited
    Seems like Menken will now take care of the scoring duties for Disney's Rapunzel, replacing Jeanine Tesori if I'm not mistaking. The source for this is Menken's bio on the Sister Act Musical website.

OH YEAH!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
  5. Someone posted this saying it was from a recent Menken interview:

"Rapunzel will be released in the Holiday Season 2010, as for the music it will be a kind of Rock of the 60s, in the veins of Joni Mitchell and Cat Stevens.It's still too early for speaking, but the film is at a good point, I'm very excited, but before this I'm involved with the musical Sister Act to be opened in London this year..."

And appearently the movie was put in hiatus and re-tooled. I guess they "re-tooled" the composer too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009
    Excellent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009
    Alan Menken is on Channel 4 right now! He's a midget. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    He stands tall in our hearts and respect. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    He stands tall in our hearts and respect. smile

Fair do biggrin beer He came across as a really nice guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    beer HAPPY BIRTHDAY Alan Menken , hero of our generation beer

He's now 60! I thought he's much younger shocked
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009
    birthday to ALAN MENKEN! beer fireworks punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Miya wrote
    beer HAPPY BIRTHDAY Alan Menken , hero of our generation beer

He's now 60! I thought he's much younger shocked

me too. birthday
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Happy birthday to one of our time's greatest tunesmiths! Can't believe he's 60 already.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Happy birthday to one of our time's greatest tunesmiths! Can't believe he's 60 already.

60!

I've never seen a photo of Menken nor do I know anything about the man himself away from the scores he has written. Which is maybe why I have a mental image of him being a lot younger.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Just to let you know that the 2009 stage adoption of Sister Act has been available on CD since 21st of July. Apparently the show hasn't received favorable critical response but the music is generally praised.

Also, earlier in May (I think) Menken appeared in the Paul O'Grady show in the UK to promote this project. For those who missed it various clips are available on YouTube.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Last June, Alan Menken was in Milan (Italy) for the premiere of the Beauty and the Beast musical. In an interview with La Stampa (The page is in Italian) Menken revealed a couple of his upcoming projects for Disney:

"Right now I am writing music for two Disney animated feature, Rapunzel and The Snow Queen. In addition I will be working on a live-action musical film adoption of Beauty and the Beast, as well as a new Broadway musical project that will debut in fall 2010: Leap of Faith."