• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2011
    clever idea
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice! I'm sure there were a lot of Horner tracks to choose from!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was ready to fire off a "But how can you not include...", but looking at my 15 minute tracks in iTunes, that's pretty much what I'd choose too! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    In order to find all the 15 minute tracks in my collection I created a smart playlist with following the perimeters:

GENRE=Soundtrack
    TIME=greater than 14:59
    TIME=less than 16:00

From there I took out all the concert suites, re-recordings and classical pieces! What I was left with was about 12 usable tracks. Unfortunately, I had to drop Newman's THE BLACK SWAN and Walton's HENRY V.

The 3 Horner tracks that fit the guidelines are all featured on the show.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011 edited
    UPDATE: December 23, 2011

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

Just in time for the holidays we here at Cinematic Sound would like to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. To celebrate this wonderful time of the year we have produced an epic three hour program featuring music from some holiday favorites – past and present. On the program you will hear music from the following films - A VERY HARALD & KUMAR 3D CHRISTMAS (Ross), JINGLE ALL THE WAY (Newman), ARTHUR CHRISTMAS (Gregson-Williams), ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS (Snow), SCROOGED (Elfman), NATIONAL LAMPOONS CHRISTMAS VACATION (Staples), HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK (Williams), HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS (Horner), THE POLAR EXPRESS (Silvestri), THE CHRISTMAS MIRACLE OF JONATHAN TOOMEY (Farley), SILVER BELLS (McKenzie), IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (Tiomkin), A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Silvestri), A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Waxman), THE HOLLY AND THE IVY: FANTASY ON CHRISTMAS CAROLS (Arnold), BLIZZARD (McKenzie) and MIRACLE ON 34th STREET (Broughton). http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1734

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear the show. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011
    Nice one Erik, I shall be listening cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A very nice selection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks guys!

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I realize the work involved in what you do.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    UPDATE: January 9, 2012

FILM MUSIC MIX | THE BEST INDIVIDUAL CUES OF 2011

Our first show of the brand new year is a special film music mix program featuring some of my favourite individual cues from film, TV and video game scores in 2011. You will hear music from 18 films, TV shows and video games including THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN (Williams), THE ARTIST (Bource), SUPER 8 (Giacchino), THESE AMAZING SHADOWS (Golub), THE TREE OF LIFE (Desplat), PRIEST (Young), SOUL SURFER (Beltrami), HAWK (Babcock), CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (Silvestri), SOURCE CODE (Bacon) and more. Be on the lookout for our Top 10 Scores of 2011 special which will be airing later this month. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1770

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear the show. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012 edited
    UPDATE: January 13, 2012

FILM MUSIC MIX | SHUFFLING THROUGH iTUNES SHOW #1
    Originally Aired July 10, 2010

Back in July of 2010 I produced the first episode of Shuffling Through iTunes. When I moved the site from iWeb to Wordpress last year I forgot to move across a few of the older programs including this one. So, in order to remedy that I have begun to uploaded all the older programing that didn't make the transfer over last year starting with this show. On this inaugural edition of Shuffling Through iTunes you will hear music from VALIANT (Fenton), BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (Rosenman), WHEN NIETZSCHE WEPT (Ferber), FIREWORKS OVERTURE (Conde), THE WHITE DAWN (Mancini), FOUR WIVES (Steiner) and more. http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1790

Don't forget to listen to our Top 10 Individual Cues of 2011 by going to http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1770

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
    No Kilkline? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't know why you find that so funny Mr Erik, you're supposed to please your punters, at this rate we'll all be boycotting your show.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012 edited
    Since a "little birdy" tells me you have a 12 hour Kilkline special coming up I'll let you off.

Anywayz, I enjoyed your latest show Erik ( or more accurately your 2010 show ), two things struck me, one was that Young's THE CORE has remarkable similarities to Philip Glass ITAIPU ( a work I seriously suggest you check out, it's AWESOME! ) and two, just how fantastic Mancini's THE WHITE DAWN is, I haven't heard this for some time and it just re-affirms how much I'd love this score to get the release it deserves ( Intrada maybe? ), it's one of a very little few "grails" I have left waiting for release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    UPDATE: August 30th, 2010

FILM MUSIC MIX | SHUFFLING THROUGH iTUNES WEEK 3

Our third edition of SHUFFLING THROUGH iTUNES features every thing from Golden Age love themes to epic battle music. We open up the program with an obscure Lee Holdridge score for the 1996 sci-fi film STAR COMMAND. You’ll also hear music from the cowboy/vampire film SUNDOWN featuring a rousing main title theme by Richard Stone. Pianist Michael Chertock performs a medley from John Williams’ E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL. We will also present a hidden gem from an album called FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE: GREAT FILM THEMES FROM MODERN CHINESE CINEMA as we feature the heartbreaking main title cue from the spectacular score to THE OSMANTHUS ALLEY composed by Chen Yang. That’s only a small sampling of what you will hear on this eclectic edition of SHUFFLING THROUGH iTUNES.

If you are interested in producing your own one hour soundtrack radio program please send an email to cinematicsound (at) yahoo (dot) com with your show idea.

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear the show.

Enjoy!

-Erik-

I re-up this one today. So if you missed it then it's new to you! wink
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1802

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2012
    UPDATE: February 2, 2012

THE SHOW | THE BEST SCORES OF THE NEW MILLENNIUM

Back in early 2010 I had planned to produce a program dedicated to the very best film, TV and video game music composed in the first ten years of the new decade.  The script was written but for some reason I never got around to recording it.  Fast forward to present day, and while writing my best of 2011 script, I thought why don’t we first look back at the film, TV and video game music from the first eleven years of the new millennium and then present the best of 2011.  So, I immediately pulled out the original script, made a few changes, deleted and added a couple of scores, and produced the program over the course of the last few days.  I must say that this has been one of the most rewarding shows I’ve done.  It gave me an excuse to listen to all of these wonderful scores all over again.  I’ve been in film music heaven over the course of the past week and I’m honoured that I get to share the experience with you right here on Cinematic Sound.

So, what will you hear?  Well, here's the format. 

During PART I you'll hear music from four honourable mentions - the futuristic sounds of Daft Punk for TRON LEGACY, LOVER'S PRAYER featuring the best score Joel McNeely has ever written, Christopher Gordon's epic score to ON THE BEACH and the lush beauty of Philippe Rombi's ANGEL.

During PART II we will begin the countdown with scores 11 through to 8.  (We are doing a top 11 because we are looking back at the first eleven years of the new millennium.)  You will hear music from John Powell's brilliant score to HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, Alan Silvestri's action packed score to THE MUMMY RETURNS, John Williams beautiful score to A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE and the memorable themes from Marco Beltrami's HELLBOY.

During PART III we wil be presenting scores 7 through to 4.  We begin with the symphonic power of Elliot Goldenthal's FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN and then move onto the techno sounds of Don Davis THE MATRIX RELOADED.  We revisit Middle Earth and Howard's Shore classic score to THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING and end this section with one of the very best scores written by Michael Giacchino for the video game SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY.

The countdown concludes in PART IV as we present three diverse scores including the swashbuckling epic SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW by Edward Shearmur, Conrad Pope's exotic score to PAVILION OF WOMEN and one of the greatest scores ever composed for film SIGNS by James Newton Howard.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1818

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear more programming. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012
    Erik I have a question for you. Why isn't any japanese scores in your list for the best scores of the new millennium?
    You are not familiar with japanese scores or this is only a Hollywood list? Or maybe you think none of japanese scores qualify for your list?

I just want to know the reason since I am a big fan of japanese composers and I think some of the best film music is written by composers like Joe Hisaishi, Taro Iwashiro, Michiru Oshima, Naoki Sato.
  1. I will let Erik answer his specifics but for me, I went through a stage of buying a lot of Japanese CDs. There is consistently great music from Japan but it is difficult to keep tabs on what is available (SAE was instrumental in keeping me up-to-date) with this). And Japanese CDs are very expensive and Japanese labels do not seem bothered in promoting there stuff outside their region (so no chance of promo discs.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote
    Erik I have a question for you. Why isn't any japanese scores in your list for the best scores of the new millennium?
    You are not familiar with japanese scores or this is only a Hollywood list? Or maybe you think none of japanese scores qualify for your list?

I just want to know the reason since I am a big fan of japanese composers and I think some of the best film music is written by composers like Joe Hisaishi, Taro Iwashiro, Michiru Oshima, Naoki Sato.

There's no doubt that the composers you listed above compose phenomenal music it's just that the 15 that I presented on my show were my 15 personal favourites and the ones I like to return to the most.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I will let Erik answer his specifics but for me, I went through a stage of buying a lot of Japanese CDs. There is consistently great music from Japan but it is difficult to keep tabs on what is available (SAE was instrumental in keeping me up-to-date) with this). And Japanese CDs are very expensive and Japanese labels do not seem bothered in promoting there stuff outside their region (so no chance of promo discs.)

Yes unfortunately Japanese CDs are expensive and are hard to find but it is worth the effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

There's no doubt that the composers you listed above compose phenomenal music it's just that the 15 that I presented on my show were my 15 personal favourites and the ones I like to return to the most.

-Erik-

I understand.

I listened to your show and I discovered Lover's Prayer by Joel McNeely. I like it, it's a score for my taste, emotional, lead by piano. Gorgeous!

I agree with you on SIGNS. It is one of those perfect scores that works very well in the movie and on CD. The music in the movie it's like an important character, always there with you, take the music away from the movie and the movie became soulless. I don't think I exaggerated by saying this. At first Shyamalan wanted not to use music!!! But I think he realized that this would be a major mistake. In this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdRw5b2I8U we see at 7:32 the baseball bat scene without the music and then with the music. It makes all the difference! JNH worked very hard on this score I read that the Hand of Fate cue was re-written 64 times! Signs is without a doubt my favorite score of the decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012
    UPDATE: February 8, 2012

THE SHOW | THE BEST SCORES OF 2011

To my surprise, 2011 turned out to be one of the best overall years for new film, TV and video game music in recent memory.  2011 saw the return of John Williams, who scored not one but two films, after a three year hiatus.  Pinar Toprak scored the first ever documentary film to break into my yearly top ten, and Mark McKenzie crafted the greatest score of his career for a tiny, Mexican animated family film, which just so happened to capture the top spot on our countdown. Those scores along with six others will be featured on the program today as I present ten of my very favorite scores from 2011.

And to spur on some more conversation I will be breaking a fifteen year trend by listing the ten scores before you have a chance to listen to the show.  Enjoy the show by listening to it at
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1818

And don't forget to check out the very best individual cues of 2011 by going to http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1770

CINEMATIC SOUND'S TOP TEN OF 2011

10. DREAM HOUSE (John Debney)

9. MY WEEK WITH MARILYN (Conrad Pope; main theme by Alexandre Desplat)

8. PRIEST (Christopher Young)

7. THE WIND GODS (Pinar Toprak)

6. THE TREE OF LIFE (Alexandre Desplat)

5. WAR HORSE (John Williams)

4. THE ARTIST (Ludovic Bource)

3. THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN (John Williams)

2. SOUL SURFER (Marco Beltrami)

1. THE GREATEST MIRACLE (Mark McKenzie)

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear more programming. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As always I'll be giving a listen soon, good work as always Erik beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks Timmer!

-Erik-
  2. tonight I'm gonna listen for the first time to your show Erik, I'm quite ashamed to admit that I never listened to your creations before, but I'm going to start listening now.

Because let's face it, I've always put my time in listening to crappy scores so that I could review them. Now I want to invest time and effort in efforts that are worth it. and no better way to discover some of them through your shows smile

gonna respond later tonight
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012
    Excellent! Looking forward to your review. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    tonight I'm gonna listen for the first time to your show Erik, I'm quite ashamed to admit that I never listened to your creations before, but I'm going to start listening now.

Because let's face it, I've always put my time in listening to crappy scores so that I could review them. Now I want to invest time and effort in efforts that are worth it. and no better way to discover some of them through your shows smile

gonna respond later tonight

For me, Erik's shows are a great way to listen to the latest scores and have helped me make decisions on whether to buy or not at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks Timmer! That means a lot!

beer

-Erik-