• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014
    The Marvel suite is really quite excellent. I didn't know Tyler had even written a full piece - was it released?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    The Marvel suite is really quite excellent. I didn't know Tyler had even written a full piece - was it released?

Nope!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This is bloody excellent, Erik!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Should have used that as the theme for Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    This is bloody excellent, Erik!

Thank you, Steve. That means a lot. Was never sure if you ever tuned in.

Anthony wrote
    Should have used that as the theme for Thor.

That's pretty much Thor's theme anyway, isn't it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    Excellent Erik. I know this must take a lot of effort and I always appreciate it. Will give this a listen tomorrow. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    beer
  1. Highly entertaining program, Erik! The suite by Tyler is a true gem.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014 edited
    UPDATE: May 22, 2014

CATCHING UP WITH 2014 - PARTS 1 and 2

On the program today you will hear parts one and two of a four part “Catching Up With 2014″ show where we are featuring new music from films released in 2014.

We open up this program with the premiere of John Powell’s highly anticipated score to HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2. It’s fantastic! We will also play music from NON-STOP (Ottman), THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Zimmer and Friends), THE LEGEND OF HERCULES (Kantelinen), TARZAN (Newman), COSMOS: A SPACE TIME ODYSSEY (Silvestri), JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT (Doyle), NOAH (Mansell), NEED FOR SPEED (Furst) and 50 TO 1 (Ross) Parts three and four will be uploaded some time next week.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/this-just … -wth-2014/

Visit http://www.cinematicsound.net to hear the show. Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/cinematicsound and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool

I will give a listen as always. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Sweet! Thank you, Erik, I've been so excited to hear HTTYD 2.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014
    Damn, that opening track from HHTYD2 is perhaps the best thing John Powell's ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pretty sweet, huh? It's like a concert suite of all the themes in one high energy piece! It's like Powell's own THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK end credits.

A-MAZING STUFF!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Loved the shows Erik beer

The "over-board" praise for HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 is utterly deserved. Exhilarating, soaring and glorious, of what I hear this score is pure magic..... Perhaps unfortunately, I'm afraid it easily overshadowed everything else you're showcasing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Perhaps unfortunately, I'm afraid it easily overshadowed everything else you're showcasing.

Oh, I agree with you. Maybe I should have left the score for last. wink Thanks for taking the time to listen. I very much appreciate it!

-Erik-
  3. The only issue I have with "Dragon Racing" is that it plays like a highlight reel from the first score. Yes, the arrangements are fresh - especially that INCREDIBLE version of the love theme at the end - but I would have liked it if he had integrated a couple of his new themes into that opening cue. It's the only thing holding it back from complete perfection for me. On the other hand, the rest of the score is (thankfully!) much less reliant on the established themes, so it makes for a nice refresher course at the beginning of the album.

The score is incredible, but right now the highlights aren't jumping out as me quite as much as they did on the first score. Nothing is quite as emotionally moving as "Forbidden Friendship", or quite as soaring as "Test Drive". The new themes are good but don't have that instant memorability. But there are moments that come really, really close - and if anything, the sequel score is more consistent from beginning to end. Not a single moment on that album I would get rid of (other than the two songs). I think I need to give it a few more listens before I fully "get it", but it's easily Powell's best score since, well, the first one. Come to think of it, it might be the best score period since the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The only issue I have with "Dragon Racing" is that it plays like a highlight reel from the first score. Yes, the arrangements are fresh - especially that INCREDIBLE version of the love theme at the end - but I would have liked it if he had integrated a couple of his new themes into that opening cue.

I'm going to assume that the music accompanies a scene re-introducing our main characters. I highly doubt that any new characters are in the opening scene hence no need for new themes. I think "Dragon Racing" is magnificent and is the equivalent to something like John Williams' brilliant end credit cues to TEMPLE OF DOOM and THE EMPIRE STIKES BACK. A brilliant montage of themes with new flourishes and fresh variations.

-Erik-
  4. Right, but it would be like hearing those end titles in The Last Crusade and Return of the Jedi, respectively! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There are some definite highlights in that score, but I'm not as enamoured as everyone else seems to be. It's a bit "full-on" for my taste.

*insert dispaired Erik Woods comment here*
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    It's a bit "full-on" for my taste.

I'm sorry the score isn't a bit more boring for you, Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Calm and tranquility is all I ask. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  6. And that's what's great about both of these scores...they're bombastic and exhilarating, but they also have periods of respite that are just as good as those big thematic/action moments. In the first score they were "Forbidden Friendship", "Romantic Flight" and "Where's Hiccup?"...in this one they're "Losing Mom/Meet the Good Alpha" and "Stoick's Ship". Both scores are also excellent albums with strong narrative flow! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True. But a bit too much of the bombastic and too little of the calmness that I require. I also feel this is slightly less thematic than the first score. But yeah -- overall, I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. The new themes aren't quite as memorable as the old ones, I agree. But I find that Powell's themes sometimes take two or three listens before they hook you - once they do, it's worth the wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hummm... every theme from the first film plus new themes equals less thematic? Oh, King Thor.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hummm... every theme from the first film plus new themes equals less thematic? Oh, King Thor.

-Erik-

I don't share that assessment. The thematic blocks seem shorter (often just a few bars) and interspersed between lots of busy mickey-mousing. It all flows fine enough -- all things considered -- but I don't think it's as strong as the first.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So Thor's assessment is that it's not so good, which means in reality, this is sure to be awesome! I'm going to wait until I've got the album before I listen to anything. Yay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I don't share that assessment. The thematic blocks seem shorter (often just a few bars) and interspersed between lots of busy mickey-mousing. It all flows fine enough -- all things considered -- but I don't think it's as strong as the first.

You are NOT listening to the same score my man. Shorter blocks and interspersed is the WRONG assessment.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014 edited
    Says you! Good for you that you're super-excited about it, but don't expect everyone to share that level of enthusiasm. At least I'm not disliking it, if that's any comfort.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014 edited
    It's not a matter of being super excited, it's your evaluation of the themes which is incorrect.

-Erik-