• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2022
    NEW EPISODE

THE FLAGSHIP SHOW: NATIONAL FILM SCORE DAY 2022 – RANDOM TRACKS
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-flag- … om-tracks/

Happy National Film Score Day!

National Film Score Day was created on April 3rd, 2018 by Jeffrey D. Kern of the defunct internet film music radio station MOVIE SCORES AND MORE RADIO, and is officially recognized by the National Day Calendar. National Film Score Day “was created to celebrate film scores and the talented composers that compose those musical masterworks called film scores!” Jeffery was interviewed last week about the holiday on the Celebration Voices Podcast.

We’ve only officially celebrated National Film Score Day here at CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO once, but I would like for it to be something we celebrate every April 3rd.

We commemorated National Film Score Day with 12 tracks chosen at random on today’s special broadcast. I didn’t know what I wanted to do to celebrate the occasion, so I decided to do my best to incorporate the number 4 into the festivities, as today is the 4th anniversary of the event! I went into my digital library and made a smart playlist to collect all of the 4-minute cues in my collection. Everything was reduced to 760 as a result of this. I didn’t want to waste an entire day trying to choose 12 tracks from that list, so I went to random.org and had them choose the cues for me. Each track was assigned a number and the playlist was arranged alphabetically by title. After that, I began recording and did the random draw “live” therefore I had no idea what I was going to play.

This was a lot of fun and I hope to do something like this again in the near future. See the entire playlist on our webpage.

Thanks again to Jeffrey D. Kern for creating this day in celebration of the art form we all love!

-----

LISTEN:
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/links-page/

PATREON:
    https://bit.ly/2QWDGeO

MERCH STORE
    https://www.teepublic.com/stores/cinematic-sound-radio
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Darn, I just missed it! Didn't know there was a Film Score Day!
  2. I just finished listening to your Jerry Goldsmith episode Erik featuring the latest release of Rudy. I, too, consider Rudy a true film score classic and the themes always makes me teary. My question is, would you recommend purchasing the new Deluxe version? I have the regular release of course, and wanted to know if you thought the extra tracks were worth it or is it just kind of rearrangements of the already great themes that are present on the regular release? Would love to know your thoughts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2022
    Thanks for listening. The Rudy deluxe edition is a curiosity and does offer a sight upgrade in sound quality but after listening to the Rudy expanded release, I'd have to say that the complete and chronological presentation doesn't do the album any favours. The score is brilliant in context but does get repetitive in it's expanded album form. Having said that, there are some interesting variations on the Rudy main theme ("More Training") but I think the original presentation of the score is the superior listening experience.

Feel free to listen to the new Varese album on Spotify before making a decision to purchase.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6DgA3zqkvVKdxgb2QeUDcm

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I have seen the film multiple times (I think we all have tongue ), even by watching you could hear a lot of light variations on the theme, but not any important 'unreleased' material. It's perhaps fun to have better sound so to speak off. But in terms in holy grails, Rudy is not the one to expand.

So I'll stick to the original short release (after all, not all scores favor from a complete edition)

Good god, I'm starting to sound like THOR spin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Thanks Erik and Thomas! That's kind of the inkling I had. Thinking that perhaps the length might make the themes a little too repetitive.

And while I only have a few expanded scores, I feel like the best attribute of them is that I feel like I'm listening to my favorite scores with new ears a bit. Since I'm so familiar with the original already, it's fun to be surprised by little changes and additions that I hadn't heard. Like it's fresh again and my appreciate for the score and composer's work grows even more overall. That's the fun part for me I guess, even if the music is perhaps superior (as in showcasing the highlights) on the original album release.