• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    Here we go – 25 clips, identify the composer and name of each score, for a total of up to 50 points.

A few pointers:

18 composers are represented here – one of them, three times! – but sadly ten of them are dead. They have all won Oscars (though not necessarily for Best Original Score!) – in fact they have won an amazing 41 Oscars between them.

However, not all the scores represented here won Oscars – several of them were not even nominated.

The clips are in chronological order, based on release year provided by IMDB (where more than one was released in the same year, they are just in random order). The clips in general are much older than most Guess the Score games – would you believe 76 years separate first from last! (This may be a slight trick - I suspect the first score may have been written some time after the film was first released.)

The majority of the clips are from world-famous scores, by world-famous composers, and they’ve all been released. There’s the occasional exception but in general I have tried to make this game a lot easier than the last one I did. I’m hoping a lot of people will be able to take part, and score highly. If this proves not to be the case, I will add some individual clues.

Because there are 25 clips I’m afraid I’m too lazy to link to them all individually. You can download a ZIP containing all 25 at this link:
    www.movie-wave.net/guess_score_southall2.zip

Submit your entries to me by PM by Sunday. Guess as many times as you want. Good luck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008
    I suspected there would be some high scores in this game!

The first contestant posts an extremely high score:

franz_conrad 31 points

goat
  1. I'm just downloading the set now, James.

Michael, beware!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Ah, Alan, but I have only begun to fight! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008 edited
    A new leader!

plindboe 37 points smile
    franz_conrad 31 points
    FalkirkBairn 26 points

goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The goat distracts me.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    goat + wave spin + beer = explode
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    A new leader!

plindboe 37 points smile
    franz_conrad 31 points
    FalkirkBairn 26 points

goat

shocked

I may have a chance! Probably not though...
  3. Peter, do not ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for your first place! Prophetically! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008 edited
    Some of them are killing me!!!I have them inside my mind and I cannot express them crazy
    Great selection by the way!More cds for me to buy...I see it coming! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    An added incentive: for the winner, a sealed copy of the 2-CD Christopher Young Lucky You promo (should they want it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe 37 points smile
    franz_conrad 31 points
    FalkirkBairn 29 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    An added incentive: for the winner, a sealed copy of the 2-CD Christopher Young Lucky You promo (should they want it).

shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote

shocked

Well, under somewhat mysterious circumstances, I do have two of them, which is one more than anyone needs!
  4. I find it somewhat mysterious that you have any of them! Maybe I should get back on the Costa Communications mailing list... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote

shocked

And I'm on the first place! Lucky me! biggrin

I just hope everyone else are too busy to play, especially Bhelpuri. moon

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe 37 points smile
    franz_conrad 31 points
    FalkirkBairn 29 points
    Thor 26 points

Not many entrants (which also seemed to be the case with Anthony and Tommy_Boy's games) - are people losing interest? Or are people just waiting till nearer the deadline before entering? Or do people think they'll get a low score so aren't bothering? I'd have thought an awful lot of people would be familiar with at least half of the scores in this game.

goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2008 edited
    I just decided to count the number of contestants of the 14 games there have been since the birth of Maintitles and these are the results:

Game 1: 12
    Game 2: 12
    Game 3: 12
    Game 4: 9
    Game 5: 10
    Game 6: 8
    Game 7: 13
    Game 8: 10
    Game 9: 10
    Game 10: 10
    Game 11: 12
    Game 12: 9
    Game 13: 6
    Game 14: 8

Now, all we need is someone to make a nice graph out of these numbers... spin

But it does indeed seem like the last couple of games haven't gotten much attention. But luckily overall it doesn't look like there's a negative trend.

Oh, I also took the time to count winners (the game where there were 4 winners, means they get 0.25 points each):

Southall: 3.75
    franz_conrad: 3.25
    BhelPuri: 3
    Thor: 1.25
    plindboe: 1 (soon 2, hopefully)
    JuPe: 1
    Tommy_Boy: 0.50
    FalkirkBairn: 0.25

(Another graph needed)

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interesting! So my next question - if this is the 15th game - why is it called "Guess the Score XII"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well a really want to participate but I'm a bit stuck and even though I definately know some of them.I'll try again soon!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Interesting! So my next question - if this is the 15th game - why is it called "Guess the Score XII"?

Hehe, good question. The answer is, that the first "Guess the score" thread contains 3 games.

Peter cow
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote
    Well a really want to participate but I'm a bit stuck and even though I definately know some of them.I'll try again soon!

The more the merrier. I'm sure you can take your time, as the game is rather new.

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008 edited
    People need hints.

I'll participate too, soon.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Hehe, good question. The answer is, that the first "Guess the score" thread contains 3 games.

Peter cow

Either that or roman numerals are not the strongpoint of one of our game officiators. wink

Peter, did you count me as a player in the last game? (Even though my answers didn't make it in, I did spend a couple of hours getting what answers I did get.)

Oh, and I think now's a good time for a few hints as well. smile
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Peter, did you count me as a player in the last game? (Even though my answers didn't make it in, I did spend a couple of hours getting what answers I did get.)

If they were not officially submitted then they should not count. wink

And some hints would be welcomed at this point. I think that I have got as far as I can without clues.

And now that there is a prize at stake could you just send the hints to me James?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

If they were not officially submitted then they should not count. wink

Oh come on! I'm not asking for the points or anything, just for some acknowledge that I exist, and tried. cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008
    The leaderboard:

plindboe 37 points smile
    franz_conrad 31 points
    FalkirkBairn 29 points
    Thor 26 points
    petersv 23 points

OK... some hints...

1: The composer of this music is one of the most famous people in the history of cinema.
    2: This official release came with a warning that the sound quality was not up to the usual standard set by this label
    3: I have been raving about this album lately
    4: Surely one of cinema's most famous themes
    5: The film would appear in many people's list of top ten films of all time. It is not an American film.
    6: Alan Silvestri fans will have heard the main theme from this film many, many, many, many times
    7: The name of this film is also the name of a song set to this music
    8: One of the final scores of an extremely talented European-immigrant (to Hollywood)
    9: There are two releases of this full score... both on the same label. But one has a black spine and the other has a white spine.
    10: Surely this composer can easily be guessed.
    11: ...hmm, this one too
    12: The final score of a legend
    13: One of cinema's greatest melodists went to slightly unusual territory, with stunning results
    14: This score was a controversial Oscar-winner... not really because of its own quality, but because of the score it beat
    15: This film features my all-time-favourite death scene
    16: Only European viewers will have been able to see the film with this music in it
    17: This one's the only clip which comes from television
    18: Nobody has guessed this. It's probably the least famous score in this bunch. It's a composer I praise endlessly - nobody else seems to share the love (round here, at least)
    19: One of the best-selling film score albums of all time...
    20: ...but this one's probably sold more than every other one in this game put together
    21: Again... the final score of a legend
    22: A beautiful theme from this composer's most romantic period
    23: A superhero gets a new composer
    24: Had I let this clip play for five more seconds, the signature instrument of this composer would have appeared. This is one of his most outstanding scores.
    25: In a game dominated by older film music, this clip is from a very recent film... but the composer is most often associated with stuff he did 30 years ago
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote

Have edited it now to 8 players.

Peter wink