• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Pre-orders for Tadlow's 3CD re-recording of El Cid are now being accepted. This could easily be the soundtrack release of the year!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10068

-Erik-

September is such a long way away!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Pre-orders for Tadlow's 3CD re-recording of El Cid are now being accepted. This could easily be the soundtrack release of the year!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10068

-Erik-

September is such a long way away!!

No it's not, don't say that! slant (For the main reason that I move back to Pompey... but I'm also looking forward to this release too.)
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    track list

Disc One:

1. Overture (3:42)
    2. Prelude (2:53)
    3. Ben Yussuf (5:22)*
    4. Destiny / Burgos (3:10)*
    5. Palace Music (1:25)*
    6. Bad News (4:52)*
    7. Entry of the Nobles (2:16)*
    8. The Meeting (4:33)*
    9. The Slap (0:48)
    10. Count Gormaz / Courage and Honour / Gormaz’ Death / Honour and Sorrow (7:43)*
    11. The Court of Ferdinand (1:20)*
    12. The Gauntlet (0:31)*
    13. The Fight for Calahorra (3:33)
    14. The King’s Champion (1:29)*
    15. Chimene’s Decision (1:57)*
    16. Investiture (0:33)*
    17. The Expedition (1:46)
    18. Betrayal /Ambush (3:58)*
    19. The Wedding (0:44)*
    20. Wedding Supper (1:35)*
    21. The Wedding Night (5:39)
    22. The Road to Asturias / Thirteen Nights (2:56)*
    23. Ride to Valencia (1:45)*
    24. Al Kadir’s Delights (0:37)*
    25. Sancho’s Demand (2:09)*
    26. Dolfos’ Mission / Sancho’s End (6:01)*
    27. Coronation (2:22)

TT: 75:53

Disc Two:

1. Alfonso’s Oath (0:39)*
    2. Banishment / Forgiveness (6:13)*
    3. Friendship (1:33)
    4. The Barn – Love Theme (5:06)
    5. For Spain! / Farewell (6:47)*
    6. Entra’cte: The El Cid March (4:03)
    7. Rodrigo’s Men (1:09)*
    8. The Twins (2:40)
    9. Rodrigo’s Doubts (1:53)
    10. Unity (1:26)*
    11. Moorish Feast (1:27)*
    12. The Siege of Valencia/ Rodrigo’s Encampment (2:34)*
    13. Desperate Love (1:52)*
    14. United Again (1:21)*
    15. Battle Preparations/ Starvation / Revolt (7:37)*
    16. Valencia for the Cid! (3:20)*
    17. Ordonez’ Death (0:52)*
    18. For God and Spain! / The Battle of Valencia (8:45)*
    19. The Arrow / The Promise (4:16)
    20. The Cid’s Death (4:13)*
    21. The Legend and Epilogue (5:42)

TT: 73:39

Disc Three:

Bonus Tracks.

1. Burgos / Entry of the Nobles - alternative version (2:48)
    2. Palace Music - flute and harp version (1:47)
    3. Sancho’s Demand – take 1 (2:32)
    4. The Twins - oboe version (1:12)
    5. Rodrigo’s Doubts – take 1 (2:48)
    6. Battle Preparations / The Battle of Valencia– short version (7:04)
    7. The Legend and Epilogue - with original intro and including

“The Falcon and the Dove” (5:26)

1. Suite from DOUBLE INDEMNITY (8:39)

(Prelude/Narrative/The Meeting/The Murder/Finale)

* Contains previously unreleased music

CD EXTRAS

FOOTAGE AND INTERVIEWS FROM THE EL CID RECORDING SESSIONS

1. Battle Preparations (3:00)
    2. Farewell (4:00)
    3. The Twins (2:40)
    4. Valencia for the Cid (3:20)
    5. Interview by Doug Raynes with Nic Raine and James Fitzpatrick (11:00)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds like a real 'MUST HAVE!' punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    As it's a re-recording, the quality must be perfect I guess. Only if the orchestration is good, it will be a treasure! smile
  2. DemonStar wrote
    As it's a re-recording, the quality must be perfect I guess. Only if the orchestration is good, it will be a treasure! smile

Going on their past releases - True Grit and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - I'm confident that it's going to sound absolutely brilliant!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Going on their past releases - True Grit and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - I'm confident that it's going to sound absolutely brilliant!!

I agree... and I'm one who generally hates most of what the City of Prague has recorded in the past. The Tadlow recordings are actually REALLY good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I've always liked the score to Double Indemnity. Though El Cid remains my favorite Rozsa score.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Well, BLOOMIN' 'ECK! angry

There's too much worthwhile stuff coming out (yeah, In know: whining that there is too much of a good thing rolleyes ...but then I remember the Delphi Oracle's meden agan: "never too much", and I am reminded that anything that has "too" in front of it by defiition isn't good).

This is definitely worrthy of attention, especially as I'm mad about Rozsa AND acoustic guitar...but funds are seriously depleted round about now...

I hope this release sticks around for a bit, but as it's -again- a limited edition of just 1000 pressings, I'm not too optimistic. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank God i am neither mad for Rozsa nor acoustic guitars wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're obviously affected with a rare disorder. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rozsa and acoustic guitars? I need to change my underwear...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    You're obviously affected with a rare disorder. slant

Yeap! slant beer

There's just too much stuff coming out for my wallet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ordered it, after considering for a nanosecond or two.
    1000 issues is just too scarily scarce. It's ROZSA and it's GUITAR.

Penaut butter sarnies for Christmas, obviously, at the rate my money is going.
    slant slant slant slant slant slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Anyone seen this new Rozsa concert work from BSX? Sounds very interesting! Mind you, most often when film composers try their hand at stand-alone music I feel that they try too hard to be "intellectual" about it and succeed only in doing very cerebral music and not outrageously fun. That's how I feel about John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith's concert works.

Then again there are exceptions, like Michael Kamen's concert works (stupendous!!!), Elmer Bernstein (pretty entertaining!), and Danny Elfman's Serenada (wicked fun). I wonder how Rozsa's concerts are. Only one way to find out.

I've always been curious about Horner's "Spectral Shimmers".
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Anyone seen this new Rozsa concert work from BSX? Sounds very interesting! Mind you, most often when film composers try their hand at stand-alone music I feel that they try too hard to be "intellectual" about it and succeed only in doing very cerebral music and not outrageously fun. That's how I feel about John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith's concert works.

Then again there are exceptions, like Michael Kamen's concert works (stupendous!!!), Elmer Bernstein (pretty entertaining!), and Danny Elfman's Serenada (wicked fun). I wonder how Rozsa's concerts are. Only one way to find out.

I've always been curious about Horner's "Spectral Shimmers".

Has 'Spectral Shimmers' ever been available?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote

It has, to James Horner himself.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

It has, to James Horner himself.

biggrin

Not even as a b**t?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Battle Beyond the Stars did escape his iron grasp, but not that, apparently.
  4. Spectral Shimmers got a very lukewarm response, so he quit it and doesn't want to revisit it again, I guess.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not sure
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Hey, Freedom Song got lukewarm responses, too, and yet the man didn't quit film music for it!

Having Titanic under your belt tends to galvanize you. biggrin If he were to release Spectral Shimmers now, he'd probably find an interest among the fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Somebody who registered at goldenscores.com e-mailed me the following

"By the way, keep an eye out for my new CD release of MIKLOS ROZSA: Music for Guitar - first of several to come out. It also contains the Guitar Sonata written for me and my recording of it.

Gregg Nestor"

Not sure if that is useful information added to the above already available data of this new release, but well.
    Kazoo
  5. Personally, I think that it is nice to have someone who is involved in some way with these releases to make contact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Would love to review
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    New from Prometheus: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad

Double CD. Reportedly sounds a lot better than their old one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm...I wonder if it'll be interesting enough to do away with my old one?
    I think that one is actually rather fine.

I'm also not sure if this film warrants a DOUBLE CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, I see: it's a combination of the studio album (which was taken from the LP masters, and issued before on CD), augmented by a complete rendition of the original mono film tracks. I'll happily stick with Prometheus' original release, then. smile
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10975

Lovely score though.
    Great Oriental fantasy film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    This sadly sounds very interesting... Guess I won't be able to say no to more of the same good stuff. Thankfully it's not $30....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Chandos has also released a CD of his orchestral work