• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    The guitar concerto thing I also read about? Yes, I'll be all over that! cheesy cheesy Not all composers can successfully transpose into the concert hall and retain their charm, but I believe Rozsa can.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    he has. it is an excellent cd
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Golden Voyage is, as moonie says, "ORDERED!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Pass
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008
    Southall wrote
    New from Prometheus: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad

Double CD. Reportedly sounds a lot better than their old one.

lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Right now I'm into his Orchestral material.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Golden Voyage is orchestral.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote

Yes, I much prefer it to his drum and bass. biggrin
  1. bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote

Yes, I much prefer it to his drum and bass. biggrin

He, he... biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    Just remember fellow MT members what goes around comes around
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    A new review of the orchestral Rozsa CD released on Chandos
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/12/17/o … ol-1rozsa/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    There is another classical release available on Naxos which includes his Viola Concerto, his last orchestral work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    It very much seems like Rozsa is getting some recognition in the classical world that he so much deserves.
  2. Does it also feature (this respect) other Golden Age composers? Herrmann and Korngold did make some classical music too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Herrmann really had a minor contribution to classical music. Korngold did some interesting work. Korngold did use existing themes he had created for Hollywood films in his work something that Rozsa never did, although Rozsa at the request of Wilder did rework one of his previously written works (violin concerto) for a film.
  3. Anybody else did that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Did John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith also do some classical music? I think I read somewhere..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Did John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith also do some classical music? I think I read somewhere..

They have both written music specifically for concert purposes, yes. I haven't actually heard any of Goldsmith's concert material to my shame, but the Williams pieces aren't really my cup of tea - not his experimental stuff at least.

Though his Olympic music, especially the brilliant Olympic Spirit, and American Journey are absolutely wonderful compositions by Williams. (Although American Journey is technically a film score... o_0)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I love Williams' Olympic music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Rozsa spent a great deal of his time on his classical material, it was more than a sideline for him. His work has been recorded on RCA, Chandos, Naxos, Koch, and other labels. You can actually purchase or listen to different recordings of his work. I doubt that this is true of Goldsmith or Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    I love Williams' Olympic music!

Enough brass in it to rebuild the Titanic... albeit using brass.
  4. sdtom wrote
    Rozsa spent a great deal of his time on his classical material, it was more than a sideline for him. His work has been recorded on RCA, Chandos, Naxos, Koch, and other labels. You can actually purchase or listen to different recordings of his work. I doubt that this is true of Goldsmith or Williams.

Actually some Williams works were recorded by decent labels, I am thinking Treesong for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    sdtom wrote
    Rozsa spent a great deal of his time on his classical material, it was more than a sideline for him. His work has been recorded on RCA, Chandos, Naxos, Koch, and other labels. You can actually purchase or listen to different recordings of his work.

That's great! I have been impressed with the Rozsa scores I heard so far. Eager to check out more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    List of John Williams' classical/concert works

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=c … ;Itemid=36

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

They have both written music specifically for concert purposes, yes. I haven't actually heard any of Goldsmith's concert material to my shame, but the Williams pieces aren't really my cup of tea - not his experimental stuff at least.

Though his Olympic music, especially the brilliant Olympic Spirit, and American Journey are absolutely wonderful compositions by Williams. (Although American Journey is technically a film score... o_0)

Have you not heard Goldsmith's 'Fireworks' Steven?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope. And I'm a Goldsmith nut. shame
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Steven wrote

It's the only enjoyable track on his concert works CD, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    tjguitar wrote
    Steven wrote

It's the only enjoyable track on his concert works CD, IMO.

Yeap, me too.

It's the only worthwhile reason for having Chritus Apollo IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    sdtom wrote

Williams actually has a couple of recordings of his violin concerto, for example. Or his tuba concerto.

Have you heard Korngold's opera "Die Tote Stadt"?
    I am extremely serious.