• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    i'm of course getting it.

shocked

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has anyone gone for the Miklós Rózsa Treasury box?

Yes. shame
    I couldn't help myself: I noticed the original Rozsa concert hall suites presentation for King Of Kings and the Mathieson rerecording for Knights of The Round Table both of which are superb and offer tracks I have been looking for for ages (like the choral version of The Lord's Prayer).

I'm only hoping there's been some cleanup on the Mathieson recording...as I actually have the orginal (which was worth a LOT of money until this box came out dizzy )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/t … ckeyrozsa/

My first review from the Rozsa box.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010 edited
    Tom's review of Tip on a Dead Jockey, and soundclip!
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/tip-on-a-dead-jockey/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    I'm listening to another selection in the Rozsa box V.I.P.S a Taylor/Burton film from 1963. It has a pretty nice main title with a touch of the noir style. However, the second track an Irish track is absolutely wonderful.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
    Does anyone know whether "The lord's prayer" on the "King of kings" album is a Rozsa piece? I've been wondering about it for a while, since I found some online info once about a choral piece by the same name that wasn't by Rozsa, and it made me wonder whether he simply adapted a popular hymn/choral piece. It's one of my all-time favourite choral pieces, so I hope it's entirely Rozsa.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As you might expect from the single most famous Christian prayer, there are many dozens of different choral versions and interpretations.

The one from King Of Kings, the very best and most spiritual *I* have ever heard,is entirely and solely Rozsa's.
    Except the lyrics, of course. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with Martijn, it's beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm happy to hear that, Martijn.

Btw, what are you guys favourite recording of the piece? Being an old movie, I think the OST rendition has too poor sound quality to be enjoyed fully. On the album "Ben hur: The essential Miklos Rozsa" the piece is performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and it's breathtakingly sublime.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I really enjoy Erich Kunzel's take on the KING OF KINGS on his Three Choral Suites album but the sonic of the original soundtrack sound pretty good on the remastered 2CD set from Rhino.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think the original Rozsa rerecording (hee! There's a contradictio in terminis! I mean the LP recording) as previously only available on vinyl, but released last year as part of FSM's Rozsa Treasury box is the very best. Rich, powerful and beautiful, with the right mix of subdued reverence and epic power. No rerecording equals that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    That piece is my favourite Rozsa piece bar none, followed by the religious opening music from BEN HUR. I'm glad to hear it's an original piece by him.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    I really enjoy Erich Kunzel's take on the KING OF KINGS on his Three Choral Suites album but the sonic of the original soundtrack sound pretty good on the remastered 2CD set from Rhino.

-Erik-

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this recording too. This is one that I put in the must have category especially if you're Rozsa selection is thin.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Hmmm.

Rozsa=194 comments
    Rahman=332 comments
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Hmmm.

Rozsa=194 comments
    Rahman=332 comments

It's bound to happen Tom, you're talking about an active composer vs one that has sadly departed from us for many years now.

Still, it would be nice if more of 'this top heavy with young uns' board took more interest in a collossus of film scoring, but then the likes of Friedhofer, Herrmann, Arnold, Waxman and many more are just as "ignored" as Rozsa, you can't force interest on people, they just have to discover it for themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Hmmm.

Rozsa=194 comments
    Rahman=332 comments
    jai hoe nation
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Hmmm.

Rozsa=194 comments
    Rahman=332 comments
    jai hoe nation

*sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Very sad indeed
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    Found a very cool video... Rozsa talking and conducting Ben Hur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaqlY8_4T90
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011 edited
    Another, even cooler one.. with John Williams too. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O9lCYM2Dh4

Interesting story about the evolution of film music... ! Story about Bernard Herrmann is PRICE LESS!!! Check it out. Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011 edited
    double post...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    Talos wrote
    Another, even cooler one.. with John Williams too. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O9lCYM2Dh4

Interesting story about the evolution of film music... ! Story about Bernard Herrmann is PRICE LESS!!! Check it out. Great stuff!

Always amused when I see that clip....Williams just sits there, without saying a word.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorSangreal
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012
    From FSM:
    Ben-Hur (1959)
    The Complete Soundtrack Collection. Limited to 2000.
    Composed by: Miklos Rozsa

http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=484

I'm very happy.............. biggrin
  1. This good for anyone who does not have the release such as the Rhino 2-CD from a few years back, but personally I think that this is way over the top in terms of a single release. But then again, Shore's Lord of The Rings can be seen as being excessive also.

So, as usual, I'm talking a load of rubbish.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This good for anyone who does not have the release such as the Rhino 2-CD from a few years back, but personally I think that this is way over the top in terms of a single release. But then again, Shore's Lord of The Rings can be seen as being excessive also.

So, as usual, I'm talking a load of rubbish.

No, you're making way too much sense!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Farrrrrr too much fine steak for me, I'm full already.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Farrrrrr too much fine steak for me, I'm full already.

Wrong topic Tim. You want the food thread. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm very happy that the hardcore fans of Rozsa's score can enjoy every list note that was written for Ben-Hur on FSM lavish box set. I'm sure the liner notes are going to be spectacular. However, and this is my watermelon statement, I'll be skipping this release as well as I think I have a very good representation of this score with the exquisite Rhino 2CD release and the brilliant Decca/Phase 4 re-recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I too have the Phase 4 and the Rhino and frankly this isn't one I've revisited very often anyway.
    Tom
  3. I have the Rhino 2CD and that's definitely enough for me. The FSM is a pass.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website