• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
  1. New release of Intrada

THE RED HOUSE

Label: Intrada MAF 7122
    Date: 1947
    Tracks: 33

World premiere all-new recording of masterful Miklos Rozsa score for 1947 Delmer Daves film from George Agnew Chamberlain tale of passion and deception, love and murder, starring Edward G. Robinson, Lon McCallister, Julie London. Rozsa fans have asked us to record this one for years, now they get their wish. Charles Gerhardt recorded 12-minute suite in 1975, offering taste of involved, complex and colorful score. Splendid Gerhardt sound inspired producer Kevin Kaska (who expertly reconstructs entire score) to seek same crisp, detailed sound from Royal Scottish National Orchestra & Westminster Cathedral Chamber Choir... plus composer's beloved ghostly sound for haunted suspense, the theremin. Rozsa's score plays in roughly equal parts sumptuous romance, sinister suspense, violent murder, sunny outdoors, grim seclusion, even the dark human subconscious. You name the emotion, Rozsa captures it. Love theme is widely-spaced, yearning line while dark main theme for titular house, while also widely-spaced, is angled, hard-edged. In fascinating turn of events, perhaps more than with any other score, Rozsa both looks backwards towards aggressive film noir voice while looking forward to rich, sweeping harmonic vernacular of upcoming costume epics, period scores. Results are musically profound. Highlights are many: tender violin solo during "Meg Asks Questions", haunting theremin tones hovering above "The Accusation", florid woodwind runs glistening as "Nath Explores The Woods", modal harmonies of "Graduation Present" that suggest later BEN-HUR, searching material and angelic voices that surge forth during "Meg Finds The Red House", agitated, violent action of "Teller Shoots At Meg", ghostly women's voices with theremin during climactic confrontation... the list goes on and on. Then, when Rozsa and film finish, dynamic score comes to powerful end with glorious, fortissimo major-key coda. One of the great film score endings. Powerful! Rozsa authorities Dan Robbins, Frank DeWald offer scholarly commentary in handsome booklet. Note: complete score would not fit on one CD and we refused to cut precious bars down to fit. As such, musically appropriate spot to change discs was made with Rozsa's musical architecture in mind. (In other words, CD 1 is considerably longer than CD 2.) But we are keeping price same as similar single disc releases! Paul Talkington, Paul Wing nurture entire recording with Kevin Kaska while Dan Robbins consults. Intrada proudly releases album under their Excalibur brand of classic film score re-recordings. Allan Wilson conducts Royal Scottish National Orchestra, gives Rozsa fans one of the greats

CD 1
    01. Main Title And Narration
    02. The Morgan Farm
    03. The New Hired Hand
    04. Oxhead Wood Mystery
    05. Screams In The Night
    06. Pete’s Strange Knowledge
    07. The Barn
    08. Nath Explores The Woods
    09. Meg Asks Questions
    10. Attack In The Woods
    11. The Accusation And The Conspiracy
    12. Search In The Woods
    13. Swimming
    14. Sunday Dinner
    15. Pete Threatens Meg
    16. Meeting In The Woods
    17. Crossing The Stream
    18. Pete Warns Teller
    19. Prayer Sequence
    20. Graduation Present
    21. Meg Finds The Red House
    22. Teller Shoots At Meg
    23. Pete’s Grief
    24. Meg’s Accident
    25. Nath And Meg
    26. Ellen Denounces Pete
    27. Teller And Nath Fight

CD 2
    01. Who Was Jeanie?
    02. Ellen Goes To The Woods
    03. Ellen’s Death
    04. Pete’s Confession
    05. Ride To The Red House And The Red House
    06. Pete’s Death And End Title
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014
    Just received a copy of a newer release from Chandos featuring the film music of Miklos Rozsa. These are not original but suites which are performed by Gamba and the BBC orchestra. Jungle Book, Thief of Bagdad, Sahara, and Ben Hur are included. You'd really enjoy this if your ear leans toward the classical side of music which are long as the CD is over 80 minutes. I have every Chandos music CD ever recorded which might tell you what I think of them. I'll be reviewing when I get time,likely this month.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this new release from Intrada....

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8 … egory=-113
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Well, hardly anyone besides Southall and myself mentioned the previous release "The Man in Half Moon Street", so seriously, why bother?

Great release of course and I again praise Intrada's return to the re-recording business. Yet I own and love the "Three Choral Suites" album by Erich Kunzel and the MTC, so I am not sure about obtaining this one.

Volker

EDIT: On closer inspection the choir and organ only content seems to be the same as on this Prometheus album:
    http://www.discogs.com/Mikl%C3%B3s-R%C3 … se/3662097

This album I own and love also. Highly recommended, whatever release you choose.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    I think the choir on the old Prometheus version is regularly quite off, which is why I never revisit that album much.
    Which is a shame: I love the organ arrangements!

I purchased The Man In Half Moon Street the other day, but rather than the tracks from the CD title the Sahara and Valley Of The Kings tracks really make the CD for me!
    Not Rozsa's most recognisable works. Certainly not his best.
    But certainly most interesting!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014
    I rarely buy a CD these days but your strong recommendation James got me to purchase it. Intrada has only sent me one CD to review. I watched the movie last night on you tube since I had never seen it and was surprised. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE6_6SjPRJA

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/t … reetrozsa/

My review of the Intrada release
    Tom
  3. Jon wrote (over at the the Filmtracks ScoreBoard)

Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to introduce the sixth part of the "Fathers of Film Music" series at Movie Music UK. Writer Craig Lysy is guiding listeners through an introduction to the best Golden Age composers, with biographies, explorations of their style and legacy, and recommendations for those whose knowledge of the era is limited, but who want to dive into the treasure trove of great film music. Our sixth composer is one of Hollywood’s great lyrical romanticists, the master of the biblical and historical epic, the composer of such scores as BEN HUR, EL CID and SPELLBOUND: MIKLÓS RÓZSA

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/11/01/miklo … ic-part-6/

Enjoy!

Jon

Craig Lysy isn't active at this board which may be the reason Jon doesn't post these announcements here. I take liberty to step in. The essays Craig writes in this series are outstanding and highly enjoyable for newbies and veteran score connoiseurs alike. Once finished these texts will warrant a physical book release. So check those pieces out, not only this sixth one but also the five essays that preceded it.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    Hopefully you can all access this. MIKLOS ROZSA on BBC Radio program DESERT ISLAND DISCS from the early 1980's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009mgyd

What a wonderful voice and, needless to say, great taste in music the gentleman had.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Hopefully you can all access this. MIKLOS ROZSA on BBC Radio program DESERT ISLAND DISCS from the early 1980's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009mgyd

What a wonderful voice and, needless to say, great taste in music the gentleman had.

Yeah, I remember hearing that some years back. It's a nice little treasure.

Of course, there's also video footage -- like this excellent chat between Andre Previn, John Williams and Rozsa (actually, Williams is just sitting there and not speaking):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O9lCYM2Dh4
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't access the BBC link, unfortunately, Timmer (same as when you first posted this three years ago wink ).

Loved the little clip on YouTube, though, Thor! Never saw that before.
    What lovely and erudite gentlemen Previn and Rozsa were!
    (Too bad we don't get to see John join the conversation).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I can't access the BBC link, unfortunately, Timmer (same as when you first posted this three years ago wink ).

Loved the little clip on YouTube, though, Thor! Never saw that before.
    What lovely and erudite gentlemen Previn and Rozsa were!
    (Too bad we don't get to see John join the conversation).

Indeed. I have the whole program somewhere, and in the other clips John speaks a bit -- but he seems awfully quiet in this particular session.

In any case, you can access the program Timmer speaks of from the Miklos Rozsa Society Webpage - go to http://www.miklosrozsa.org/, then click 'about miklos rozsa', then 'interviews'. Lots of other great stuff there too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks Thor! kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Be sure to point this out to me after I post it again three years from now. shame

Well done Thor for finding a more accessable link.

The downside being that those who may have wanted to peruse through many other wonderful guests over the years can't access the archive ( a brief glance shows me Louis Armstrong, Roger Waters, Andre Previn, Debbie Wiseman among others, John Barry was a guest twice but only the 1999 show exists unless someone miraculously uncovers the 1967 appearance )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You would think that Craig or Jon would post links to all of the articles on our board at some point especially given the fact that Alan is such an active member in IFMCA and Bregt got it all started with his computer knowledge.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015
    I hear Prague is lovely that time of year.
    (Actually, there could be sharknados for all I know and care. I'm SERIOUSLY looking into going)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015
    it would be nice to hear but I fear it's a bit more than a cab ride to get there.
    Tom smile
  4. Epic Hollywood: The Music of Miklos Rozsa

This is going in my collection for sure ! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Epic Hollywood: The Music of Miklos Rozsa

This is going in my collection for sure ! beer

46 and 43 minutes long? Somehow they could have squeezed a bit more material in there not?
    But I'm sure it will give you the kick most scores of today can't give you smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Was the actual concert much longer than that?
  7. I'm sure they decided not to include the 20 minutes of standing ovation applause. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016
    I'm listening to the suite that Rosza wrote and conducted in 1976 on DG of Thief of Bagdad (1940) To my knowledge this recording has never been made available on CD. I have a digital transfer from the LP. There is nearly 140 minutes of material from the 3 LP's.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Those three Rozsa recordings are three of THE very best film music recordings of all time. For those that haven't heard them before then I shamelessly offer you to click HERE and have a listen! You won't be disappointed.

I pray one day that SOMEONE releases these on CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was listening to "The Lost Weekend," The Walk Along 4th Ave and I was amazed how much better the Theremin sounded on the Rozsa recording. I realize the Rozsa is stereo and the OST is mono but everyone of the 28 tracks are superb.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Does anyone have the new Tadlow and if so how does it sound?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sodom and Gomorrah is magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    how about the rest?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016 edited
    I do not have the new Tadlow of THE LOST WEEKEND, no. I wasn't even aware that Tadlow had done THE LOST WEEKEND recently. I once had a CD-R of an earlier re-recording (RCA?), but I don't know what happened to it.

I sometimes wish James Fitzpatrick put away his Rozsa fandom for a minute (since he's so well-represented on album) and focussed on more unreleased material that will most likely never see the light of day unless it is re-recorded. Which is why I keep nagging him about doing John Williams' glorious STORIA DI UNA DONNA/THE STORY OF A WOMAN (1970).
    I am extremely serious.