• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    I like Martijn have a lot of Rozsa material already.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I have enough Rozsa to keep me happy for a long time. I wish they would release these as individual titles.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009
    I think so much of the Rozsa material has already been covered, in fact FSM has several releases to their credit which some of us have already purchased.
    Thomas
  2. The Miklós Rózsa Treasury (1949-1968) is now available to pre-order from SAE:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=13181

"Should be available by mid-December."

Certainly a Christmas gift for someone - at $180.00
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    This will be a collectible item for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    MASSIVE MIKLÓS RÓZSA TREASURY OF M-G-M SCORES TO ARRIVE ON 15-CD BOX SET

Complete scores to Quo Vadis, Madame Bovary and The Power highlight
    Film Score Monthly’s magnificent collection celebrating a true giant of film music

Linden, VA – November 23, 2009 – An upcoming release from Film Score Monthly is destined to become one of the most essential soundtrack collections of all time.

FSM presents the Miklós Rózsa Treasury (1949-1968), a 15-CD set celebrating one of the giants of film music. In this single package FSM makes available virtually every surviving, as-yet-unreleased note from the composer’s fertile and productive association with M-G-M.

At the core of the set are the first-ever complete releases of Madame Bovary and Quo Vadis (reconstructed with sound effects), two of the most sought-after titles in the composer’s filmography. Scores that have previously circulated in pirated editions – Young Bess, The Story of Three Loves and All the Brothers Were Valiant – are included with professional mastering and comprehensive bonus tracks. There are also complete (or near-complete) scores that have never appeared in any prior format, such as The Light Touch, Crisis, The Asphalt Jungle, Tip on a Dead Jockey, Something of Value and Crest of the Wave, plus surviving cues from The Red Danube, The Miniver Story and East Side, West Side. All this – and more: the U.K. recording of Knights of the Round Table is included for the first time complete (an abridged version was released by Varèse Sarabande), and Rózsa’s uncredited contribution to Beau Brummell is presented alongside the full original score by Richard Addinsell.

Extensive bonus tracks throughout the set shed light on both the filmmaking and composing processes, allowing fans to see how certain ideas were developed and changed over time.

The Treasury “closes the book” on previous FSM releases Knights of the Round Table and Lust for Life with additional bonus tracks; and also includes bonus tracks from King of Kings and Ivanhoe for which there was not room on their earlier Rhino editions.

This amazing set also makes available several score re-recordings conducted by Rózsa himself, including El Cid, The V.I.P.s and the first genuine stereo CD release of King of Kings. And for the first time ever on CD, listeners can hear the “greatest hits” album Rózsa recorded for MGM Records in 1963: Great Movie Themes Composed by Miklós Rózsa.

Crowning this magnificent achievement is the premiere release of the complete score to The Power – previously available only in abridged form, now with extensive bonus tracks and mastered for the first time from the newly discovered, original 35mm scoring masters.

The three clamshell cases come in a deluxe box with a 48-page booklet containing a short essay and complete track listings. Online you will find free extensive notes in the finest FSM tradition by regulars Lukas Kendall and Al Kaplan, plus Rózsa Society members Frank K. DeWald and John Fitzpatrick. There are also original LP notes and a few surprises.

This is a set to be loved and cherished by Rozsaphiles past, present and future. With only 2,000 being pressed, it is sure to become a treasured collector’s item.
  3. sdtom wrote
    This will be a collectible item for sure.

I'm sure it will be. But not in this house!

It's just too much for me - I'm not such a Rozsa fan that I want the new material in amongst the stuff I already have (though in a different form).

Thought I would be interested to hear anyone's comments when their copy arrives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm the same, Alan. I like Rozsa a lot, but I just can't justify $180!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Rozsa but not enough to fork out on this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I also like Rosza. A new re-recording of one of his scores gets my money in a half-second. A whole collection of archival recording.... don't know if I'd get enough out of it. I don't feel sad to let this one go.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've been saving for this since October. ORDERED!!! I had $70 left over so I ordered Intrada's latest batch. Happy Belated Birthday to me!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I too will be getting this one and not because it is collectible either. I'm a Rozsa fan and am somewhat of a completist.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I too will be getting this one and not because it is collectible either. I'm a Rozsa fan and am somewhat of a completist.
    Thomas

I'm purchasing the Rozsa Box because I love Rozsa's music and because it's a collectible.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've been saving for this since October. ORDERED!!! I had $70 left over so I ordered Intrada's latest batch. Happy Belated Birthday to me!

-Erik-

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited
    Quo Vadis (reconstructed with sound effects)

rolleyes
    We KNOW the masters are lost.
    This seems a bit desperate to get in the punters. slant

Anyway, it's a pass for me: I already have what I would want from that set.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've not bought very much this year so this will be my treat to myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    Can't really decide on this one... I have quite some Rozsa, but feel that more could not hurt... The question is if I will think it is really worth it when it does arrive... Hm. Need to think more about that. Would really be the perfect christmas present for myself though. smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009 edited
    Oh. I didn't read properly again.

This amazing set also makes available several score re-recordings conducted by Rózsa himself, including El Cid, The V.I.P.s and the first genuine stereo CD release of King of Kings. And for the first time ever on CD, listeners can hear the “greatest hits” album Rózsa recorded for MGM Records in 1963: Great Movie Themes Composed by Miklós Rózsa.

Especially the El Cid recording remains the definitive one for me, and if the good people at FSM can clean up the sound a little, this will be a great replacement for my old CD (although unfortunately right *now* it's worth about $150, to drop to *zilch* when this set comes out. dizzy ).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    Any "The jungle book" experts here? I wonder if there are other rerecordings other than the suite coupled with "The thief of bagdad". It bugs me that such an excellent recording of such an excellent score is presented as a suite, what a criminal injustice.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said before I've decided I'm going to get it.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited
    I basically paid for half of this set by selling off obsolete out of print versions of some of the titles in the box. And the other half....well, Chase gave me $125 free bucks for opening a checking account which covers it.

I think it's well worth the $180!

Of course...I just got a $300 dentist bill. (That's after insurance,) Thank goodness for insurance..So I guess I'll have to be more frugal in the coming months! I can't afford another big box after this one, that's for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Any "The jungle book" experts here? I wonder if there are other rerecordings other than the suite coupled with "The thief of bagdad". It bugs me that such an excellent recording of such an excellent score is presented as a suite, what a criminal injustice.

Peter smile

I wouldn't say that, as the suite has a generous running time of almost 30 minutes. It's a great representation of the score.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

There's a version available on a CD (boot?) from a label called Flapper. It's been a while since I listened to it so I can't compare it with the version you refer to.

And, of course, there's the original recording release of the score from Film Music Society (FMS002) and features almost 80 minutes of music. Again, I've not listened to this in a while but I do recall that the recording certainly shows the fact it was recorded in 1942.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    Thor wrote
    I wouldn't say that, as the suite has a generous running time of almost 30 minutes. It's a great representation of the score.

I find the selection, the running time and the performance top notch, my only complaint is that it's in a suite. I guess it depends on how you listen to a score. If you always listen to scores fully from start to finish, then a long suite wouldn't make a difference. But for the rest of us, who likes to listen to our favourite cues, who wants to make compilations with them, and who enjoys listening to scores or playlists on shuffle, it can really hurt one's enjoyment of the score.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's a version available on a CD (boot?) from a label called Flapper. It's been a while since I listened to it so I can't compare it with the version you refer to.

And, of course, there's the original recording release of the score from Film Music Society (FMS002) and features almost 80 minutes of music. Again, I've not listened to this in a while but I do recall that the recording certainly shows the fact it was recorded in 1942.

Thanks Alan. I hadn't heard of the boot, but will search for info about it. I admire FSM's release, as I'm sure they did their best, but for this one I only want re-recordings. I think the sound on the FSM album makes in vastly inferior to the 1990 suite.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Has anyone gone for the Miklós Rózsa Treasury box?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has anyone gone for the Miklós Rózsa Treasury box?

'fraid not. Not only because of the price (which makes it unobtainable in itself), but because it's not really designed for people like me. Don't get me wrong, there is music there that I would definitely like to own - KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, KING OF KINGS, QUO VADIS and ALL THE BROTHERS WERE VALIANT, in particular. I'm just not very keen on archival recordings and C&C presentations. I'd rather have good-sounding rerecordings that offer a good REPRESENTATION of the scores. Fortunately, for most of these, such alternatives exist.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. There seems to be a significant amount of music that's already available via other releases - some even from FSM themselves (e.g., Knights of The Round Table). I'm assuming that a lot of these already-released scores feature re-recordings, alternate versions, etc?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm all Rózsa'd out and have plenty other Rózsa to quench any thirst I may have for this composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Alan - You might be interested in reading the on-line liner notes found HERE. They will tell you what exactly is on each CD.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    i'm of course getting it.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Unless there's been some truly groundbreaking breakthrough or nigh-archaelogical find, I would think not: the master sound tapes for Quo Vadis have been destroyed in a fire, or at least so Kendall informs us.

I wasn't sure what the status of the masters was - oh, well!

I seem to recall an FSM user mentioning they had found some masters for the score (or maybe it was a different score -- not the Herrmann one from year ago). Not the whole score, but some of it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.