• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    I have the Rhino 2CD and that's definitely enough for me. The FSM is a pass.

I just love the whole Rhino package and there's enough material (music and text) to do me for this excellent score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. The truth is that I don't listen to Rozsa a lot. While I don't listen to Golden Age scores very often (in fact I don't listen to them enough), I have other preferred composers to the Hungarian maestro, I tend to prefer Herrmann and Alfred Newman.

Still no exposure to Dmitri Tiomkin.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012 edited
    Rozsa can be excellent in smaller doses, especially his softer or more spiritual material.

But I can't take his action or suspense music for long. Lots of chromatic, intense chords (perhaps emanating from his Hungarian roots) and clusters of sound which kinda grate after a while. I don't think I've even once been able to sit through all the rowing/sea battle tracks on the Rhino single-disc version without skipping ahead. And I VERY rarely skip ahead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The truth is that I don't listen to Rozsa a lot.

shocked

You DEEPLY disturbed and flawed individual!
    How DARE you even post here?
    I am taking the necessary steps to have you banned from this site.

dalek

(wink , just to make sure!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    dalek

Crimebuster? Is that you?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. The whole alternate take thing is something I've never really understood. If there's a substantively different version of the film's music there, and it's a really pivotal moment, yeah, that's interesting. (E.g. John Williams, 'Binary Sunset (alternate)'.) But most of them... a section might be 10 seconds shorter or longer... I don't get it. (Rachel Portman's THE HUMAN STAIN has a funny version of this. To pad out the album to half an hour, they put in the 7 minute end credits cue twice, one titled 'album version', the other 'film version', or somesuch. Humourously, they differed in a very minor way, and neither was the film version.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks to FSM I have one of my favorite version of The Superman March... which is an alternate take.

Anyway, these sorts of releases are more archival rather that for "normal" listening. It give the hard core fans everything and closes the book on that particular score.

I for one would love to hear every alternate take of Williams' Indy and Star Wars scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a fine point Erik, for those that want it it is a fabulous gift, I'd say it's not for me but I'd probably change my mind if these releases were Star Wars, Goldsmith's Trek and Barry's Bond scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thanks to FSM I have one of my favorite version of The Superman March... which is an alternate take.

Anyway, these sorts of releases are more archival rather that for "normal" listening. It give the hard core fans everything and closes the book on that particular score.

I for one would love to hear every alternate take of Williams' Indy and Star Wars scores.

-Erik-

There's something very anti-editing about it though. We could give fans of the corresponding films the 5 best takes of every shot used in the final films as well... and I'm sure someone would buy that too. But we're talking extremely niche here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    Well, we do get deleted scenes and alternate cuts of films on DVD so why can't we get more music from these classic scores on CD.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012
    I'm more interested in the remastered LP recordings (one of which I've never heard) than the alternate tracks.

I will probably listen to the alternates once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    sad

Just checked the track listing.
    I don't have two of the LP versions on this box.

...I feel my resolve slipping.

Again.

sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    Annnnnnd it's gone. shame

My resolve.
    Not the box.
  5. I've always been happy with my one disc version but I'm very tempted to get this for the LP versions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    INTRADA Announces:

THE RED HOUSE
    Composed by MIKLOS ROZSA
    Conducted by ALLAN WILSON
    Performed by ROYAL NATIONAL SCOTTISH ORCHESTRA
    WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL CHAMBER CHOIR

Intrada's latest release in its Excalibur Collection features the premiere of Miklos Rozsa's complete score to the 1947 film The Red House. The unique combination of the 1940s and the film-noir genre provided Rozsa with an opportunity to compose some of his most stunning film scores. The Red House is one of the greatest of these scores. Full of passion, action, and drama, the score has only previously been released in suite format. Kevin Kaska reconstructed the entire score from scratch, ensuring strict adherence to Rozsa's original orchestrations and resulting in a CD of the complete score running over an hour. In all of Rozsa's extensive body of work, it is no exaggeration to state that this score contains some of the most compelling music he had ever composed and it is an honor for Intrada to announce this on what would been Rozsa's 105th birthday.

Starring Edward G. Robinson and based on the novel by George Agnew Chamberlain, the story tells of a crippled farmer who, after his daughter brings home a suitor, attempts to keep everyone from a mysterious red house located on his property. Of course, madness and murder prevail.

INTRADA
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE FALL 2012
    DETAILS AND WEBPAGE TO FOLLOW

punk
  6. If this lives up to the quality of other Excalibur Collection releases then this most revent (upcoming) release should be excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    agree Alan.
    listen to more classical music!
  7. Has anyone come across the name Allan Wilson before this and last year? The guy seems to conduct a lot recently and before this I've seen his name as a conductor for the scores Brian Tyler recorded in Slovakia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Has anyone come across the name Allan Wilson before this and last year? The guy seems to conduct a lot recently and before this I've seen his name as a conductor for the scores Brian Tyler recorded in Slovakia.

Everything you need to know about the man.

http://www.allanwilsonmusic.com/Home%20Page.html

-Erik-
  8. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012 edited
    For those interested ( Martijn and Tom in particular ) Miklos Rozsa chooses his eight records to take to a deserted Island on BBC radio show DESERT ISLAND DISCS from 1984.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/de … 0#p009mgyd

...and hoping this plays for people outside the UK.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    For those interested ( Martijn and Tom in particular ) Miklos Rozsa chooses his eight records to take to a deserted Island on BBC radio show DESERT ISLAND DISCS from 1984.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/de … 0#p009mgyd

...and hoping this plays for people outside the UK.

Interesting, thanks! This is two years after his stroke (and his last film score), which should explain some of his slurred speech.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    From what I read his stroke was a lot more severe than mine.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Tom, are you able to access the program I linked?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    yes i was able to
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2012
    Video from Tadlow's new QUO VADIS recording
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8jIOgJz … ded#at=107

shocked

The City of Prague Philharmonic are getting better and better with each new recording!

-Erik-
  9. shocked ---------> punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Video from Tadlow's new QUO VADIS recording
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8jIOgJz … ded#at=107

shocked

The City of Prague Philharmonic are getting better and better with each new recording!

-Erik-

that's big punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    A Time To Love And A Time To Die/Rozsa.
    Tom