• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, and his bassoon work may have more recordings.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, and his bassoon work may have more recordings.

Actually, this only has one recording, as far as I know; the one on Sony Classical with LSO/Judith LeClair.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My Rozsa and Korngold classical material number 30 CD's and yes I do have the Opera on the RCA Opera series.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'd be interested in a release of the CD's Rozsa did for RCA. I hear from the Intrada people they are superior to anything but have yet to hear them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is sure a lot of unreleased Williams material from the list Erik provided.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Has anyone heard the Williams Bassoon recording?
  2. Will have to re-listen to it.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I consider it a masterpiece , Tom. To me its the quintessential opus of Williams' entire output.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll see if the library has it available
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, the bassoon concerto "Five Sacred Trees" is absolutely wonderful. But if you buy that CD, you'll find another concert work on the same CD that even outshines Williams' piece, namely Alan Hovhaness' "Mysterious Mountain". Timmer and I seem to go on about that piece all the time. Majestic, powerful, religious.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    There is sure a lot of unreleased Williams material from the list Erik provided.

That list is not entirely accurate and up-to-date, but there are indeed quite a few unreleased. To my knowledge, these non-film music works have not yet been released:

* Horn concerto
    * Celebration Fanfare
    * Fanfare for Michael Dukakis
    * Fanfare for Prince Philip
    * Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds
    * Piano Sonata (student piece)
    * Symphony no. 1
    * Wind Quintet (student piece)

And some of them have been released only in bootleg format with variable quality:

* Soundings
    * For Sejii!
    * Seven for Luck
    * Variations on Happy Birthday

A couple have not been released, but are really variations on his film music themes:

* Esplanade Overture (based on a theme in MONSIGNOR)
    * Elegy for Cello and Piano (based on a theme in SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET)

Otherwise, he's pretty well-represented on disc in terms of concert works.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did a little reading and would wonder if the symphony would ever be revised to be performed. If Herrmann thought it needed to be worked on, not exactly known for his symphony, then it must have been bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I did a little reading and would wonder if the symphony would ever be revised to be performed. If Herrmann thought it needed to be worked on, not exactly known for his symphony, then it must have been bad.

Actually, it was Herrmann who URGED Williams to write the symphony in the first place. It is Williams himself who feels that it needs to be worked on, at least he felt that way back then (I don't know about today....but I'm guessing he does, since we have not seen a release of it). I don't know if Herrmann ever said it needed to be worked on, but if he did, I'm sure it was meant in a constructive way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    Lot of speculative theory Thor. Herrmann wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy. I think you'll have to agree that the Herrmann symphony is one of the weaker efforts I've heard. I put it in the class of the Rachmaninoff Youth Symphony, D'Indy's 1st, and others. Listenable but not ones I seek out as a listen. Having said that For the Fallen, Symphonic Dances, and In The Steppes of Central Asia are all superb. I like all three composers for certain material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As a first work the For A Little White Seashell, Op. 1 from Manos Hadjidakis is very nice. Well performed by Danae Kara.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Actually he deserves his own thread but I won't go there anymore
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Lot of speculative theory Thor. Herrmann wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy. I think you'll have to agree that the Herrmann symphony is one of the weaker efforts I've heard. I put it in the class of the Rachmaninoff Youth Symphony, D'Indy's 1st, and others. Listenable but not ones I seek out as a listen. Having said that For the Fallen, Symphonic Dances, and In The Steppes of Central Asia are all superb. I like all three composers for certain material.

Well, that Herrmann urged Williams to write a symphony is a fact. That is also Williams' dissatisfaction with his own piece, and reluctance to record it. So the only speculation here is really that Herrmann also expressed dissatisfaction over the piece, which I have never heard.

I agree with you that Herrmann's own symphony isn't the strongest I've heard.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    After its first performance I believe Herrmann said something like "Great theme, but what was all that excessive scoring for?" I don't remember where I read it, but I know that story is referred to in numerous credible sources. And Williams didn't only refuse to record it, he withdrew the score with plans to revise it. Thor isn't speculating here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I only meant speculative theory in what Herrmann said. His opinion perhaps sealed the fate of the work. To my knowledge the conversation was never recorded nor was there a third party present. Needless to say I'm sure it was less than. All first symphonies can't be in the status of Mahler's! Herrmann didn't do much better either.
  3. From what I've heard Williams and Herrmann talked once and Williams said that he doesn't have time to do something for himself (a work, that is). Herrmann asked him why? So Williams took a year off and did the symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A symphony is extremely difficult
  4. Of course, it's a sonata for orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    First symphonies are extremely difficult
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Getting back to Rozsa, does anyone recommend the original tracks to IVANHOE and JULIUS CAESAR?

I have the Broughton re-recordings and enjoy them quite a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think any (full) original release of either score exists... There are some rerecorded suites if memory serves.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In a way, I can understand the desire to have multiple versions of the same score, like you do in classical music, but if I have a version of the work that I'm content with, I don't really NEED another version (unless it's a RADICAL departure with lots of curiosity value, like jazz versions of STAR WARS or something).

I feel that way about IVANHOE and JULIUS CAESAR. The Broughton recordings work like gangbusters, and I wouldn't have the original tracks even if you threw them at me.

By the way, the original CAESAR version was released on FSM:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=3999

The original IVANHOE was released on Rhino a few years ago:

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/Pro … umber=7772
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008
    I understand Thor and mostly agree, but in the case of my favorite composers, I do treat it as classical music where it is open to interpretation and enjoy hearing multiple versions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Although TJ there is a hardcore group who will stick to the OST until the bitter end.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    sdtom wrote
    Although TJ there is a hardcore group who will stick to the OST until the bitter end.

Of course, but I am not one of those either. Especially when the OST is in mono.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm still toying with the idea of building a sweet sixteen speaker for the mono material