• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    Photos have been provided to us by the great team in Prague of the scoring sessions for EL CID:
    http://www.scoringsessions.com/sessions/29794/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    And you can download those and more with the following links...

http://users.cswu.cz/ewan/mojedata/elcid_tomas.zip

http://users.cswu.cz/ewan/mojedata/elcid_robert.zip

Courtesy James Fitzpatrick who initially posted these at the FSM message board!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMcbain
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008
    Great, I absolutely love El Cid! Who's the conductor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah! Another El Cid!
    You can never have too much Rozsa for my money, and I'm happy to finally see El Cid rival Ben Hur in my collection (it's the only other soundtrack I have in three different versions).
    A must buy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mcbain wrote
    Great, I absolutely love El Cid! Who's the conductor?

Nic Raine

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Really looking forward to this, even though I already have the Sedares recording (which everyone always criticises... but it's my only point of reference, so I assume this new release will be an eye-opener, given the standard of Tadlow's other recordings).
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I have El Cid, Ben Hur and King of Kings in a single collection. Some of my first ever score cds bought by my dad as a present. He is the one who taught me to appreciate great films and great music. But it will surely be interesting to listen to a different recording. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2008
    Stavroula wrote
    I have El Cid, Ben Hur and King of Kings in a single collection. Some of my first ever score cds bought by my dad as a present. He is the one who taught me to appreciate great films and great music. But it will surely be interesting to listen to a different recording. smile

Your dad has great taste! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008 edited
    There's some tantalising snippets from Tadlow's forthcoming release of the El Cid re-recording:

http://www.pragueorchestras.com/elcid.htm

It sounds great! And I just love the art work - simple but striking!

"...The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, conducted by Nic Raine. 3 Disc set with the complete 140 minute score plus bonus tracks and 5 videos from the recording sessions Including an 28 page full colour booklet..." (includes music from Double Indemnity)

lick
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm so looking forward to this release. It seems that in the past few years or so that the City of Prague have finally got their shit together... especially when recording these Golden Age classics for Tadlow Some of the newer Silva compilation albums still blow but I think that the people at Tadlow have taken the time to make sure that the performances and the sound quality meet the standards being set by other labels like Tribute Film Classics, Varese, Chandos and Intrada.

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    ...I think that the people at Tadlow have taken the time to make sure that the performances and the sound quality meet the standards being set by other labels like Tribute Film Classics, Varese, Chandos and Intrada.

Great point, Erik. The people at Tadlow should be applauded for raising their game and producing some great music. And credit too to the other mentioned labels for raising the bar to such a high level in the first place.

It's a great time for movie score re-recordings!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I still mean to get Tadlow's GUNS OF NAVARONE recording. I love TRUE GRIT and PRIVATE LIFE, and the only thing that has kept me from getting it is all the limited editions that get released, and probably to some extent the fact that I don't find Tiomkin as gripping as Bernstein or Rozsa.

I was listening to Rozsa's PROVIDENCE this morning. My word - what a wonderful score for his later years. The themes have the same romantic power as those of DIANE and SPELLBOUND. Listening to the track 'Providence' while on a train going over Sydney's famous Harbour Bridge, looking back to the city in the early morning light... Whew. That's something. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's some tantalising snippets from Tadlow's forthcoming release of the El Cid re-recording:

http://www.pragueorchestras.com/elcid.htm

It sounds great! And I just love the art work - simple but striking!

"...The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, conducted by Nic Raine. 3 Disc set with the complete 140 minute score plus bonus tracks and 5 videos from the recording sessions Including an 28 page full colour booklet..." (includes music from Double Indemnity)

lick

shocked cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I just broke my Rosza cherry... I watched Thief of Bagdad a few nights ago, but oh what a fantastic score! Any good soundtracks or re-recordings of this score available?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Bernstein Box has a great re-recording of THIEF OF BAGHDAD. Mind you, I'm not an expert in that score, so I'll qualify and say it sounds great to my ears. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    I just broke my Rosza cherry... I watched Thief of Bagdad a few nights ago, but oh what a fantastic score! Any good soundtracks or re-recordings of this score available?

Is this the first Rozsa you've heard?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    In full, yes. I've heard bits of Ben-Hur and the re-recording of Spellbound before Thief of Bagdad.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Then you're in for a great voyage, Matt. smile

The Thief Of Bagdad rerecording is very fine indeed, and in fact currently the most complete version out there (there are also two suite recordings by Rozsa hmself, but they are nigh impossible to find now, I think).

The sad thing though is that Bernstein's The Thief Of Bagdad recording currently is only available as part of the FSM Box...and while the whole box is worth the money, I can well imagine you being hesitant to pay top dollar for just one disk out of twelve!

I also have the LP version (which is the same) and I'll happily do you a copy of that if you like!

Other lush Rozsa scores well worth seeking out are Quo Vadis (I greatly recommed you getting the Decca Phase 4 Dutton re-issue which is bundled with Ben Hur. It really is the penultimate recording of either score. An absolutely 42-star effort (out of 5)), Ivanhoe (Broughton's rerecording is phenomenal!), El Cid (I am hesitant on Tadlow's upcoming three-CD release, but then -as you know- I really tend to prefer a balanced, short presentation of absolute highlights than every single tootle and alternate take ever considered...such recordings to me tend to wear out their welcome due to their immense length and repetetiveness. Nevertheless, I don't think any other version is currently still available, so when it's out GO for it (I'll still be getting it, it's just that good a score smile )) and King Of Kings (one of the most powerful scores in history, to my mind. There's two versions readily available: a very fine longer one and a shorter issue. I own both, but generally prefer the Sony issue for my listening pleasure.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I have the re-recordings... one from Bernstein and the other one which is on that great Colosseum cd together with the Jungle Book.

I prefer the Bernstein recording, as this one features more tracks and... it is a totally different experience compared with the other one. (the tracks sound different and are more interesting) The score has old fashioned "sailor/love songs", a kind of opera feel. And great, great tracks... wonderful choral work as well. Its simply a truly wonderful score. Its has some kind of Ben Hur tracks... a kind of Parade of the Charioteers track as well, and the love theme is very Ben Hur love theme like. The only track I prefer from the Colosseum album is the love theme. I guess that one is a re-arrangement, but its much nicer (and longer) than the shorther version on the Bernstein re-recording. The sound quality is a bit pale, but still nice though. (the Colosseum one sounds much better/more full bodied)

Absolutely, highly highly recommended if you are a Rozsa fan. A must have.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Miklos-Rozsa-THE-TH … 18Q2el1247

This is the colosseum one... but if you are lucky you might find it somewhere on the net cheaper... (I paid 15 usd, but I was lucky) Jungle Book, which its on it has wonderful music as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You know, I honestly did buy the FSM Bernstein box solely for this score... shame
    That's how much I love it. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Then you're in for a great voyage, Matt. smile

The Thief Of Bagdad rerecording is very fine indeed, and in fact currently the most complete version out there (there are also two suite recordings by Rozsa hmself, but they are nigh impossible to find now, I think).

The sad thing though is that Bernstein's The Thief Of Bagdad recording currently is only available as part of the FSM Box...and while the whole box is worth the money, I can well imagine you being hesitant to pay top dollar for just one disk out of twelve!

I also have the LP version (which is the same) and I'll happily do you a copy of that if you like!

Other lush Rozsa scores well worth seeking out are Quo Vadis (I greatly recommed you getting the Decca Phase 4 Dutton re-issue which is bundled with Ben Hur. It really is the penultimate recording of either score. An absolutely 42-star effort (out of 5)), Ivanhoe (Broughton's rerecording is phenomenal!), El Cid (I am hesitant on Tadlow's upcoming three-CD release, but then -as you know- I really tend to prefer a balanced, short presentation of absolute highlights than every single tootle and alternate take ever considered...such recordings to me tend to wear out their welcome due to their immense length and repetetiveness. Nevertheless, I don't think any other version is currently still available, so when it's out GO for it (I'll still be getting it, it's just that good a score smile )) and King Of Kings (one of the most powerful scores in history, to my mind. There's two versions readily available: a very fine longer one and a shorter issue. I own both, but generally prefer the Sony issue for my listening pleasure.)

What more can I add?

Oh, no mention of El-Cid.

I have two versions, the original and James Sedares recording which is very good. Excellent score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    I also have the Sedares one and the original... the original is so much better and energetic. I my opinion Sedares screwed the crucial last track, the one with the organ... the organ part simple sux big time in the Sedares version. Its totally wrong how they played that part.

I am extremely confident that the upcoming Tadlow release will be a crown jewel... a real treasure! Don't think that the Prague players can't play, they can, and then some. (Private Life of Sherlock Holmes)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I was disappointed with the double cd of Sodom and Somorrah... at the other hand I got the double cd of King of Kings around the same time... that is a magnificent score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    What more can I add?

Oh, no mention of El-Cid.

Martijn smugly quotes self:
    Martijn wrote
    ... El Cid (I am hesitant on Tadlow's upcoming three-CD release, but then -as you know- I really tend to prefer a balanced, short presentation of absolute highlights than every single tootle and alternate take ever considered...such recordings to me tend to wear out their welcome due to their immense length and repetetiveness. Nevertheless, I don't think any other version is currently still available, so when it's out GO for it (I'll still be getting it, it's just that good a score smile ))

Always glad to be of service. smile

I agree with you, Talos, on the Sedares recording: while it contains more music and is generally a wonderful rerecording, it's the last track that keeps me returning to Rozsa's own recording again and again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008
    Pre-orders for Tadlow's 3CD re-recording of El Cid are now being accepted. This could easily be the soundtrack release of the year!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10068

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Holy shit! 3 CDs? You're not kidding. Great, another thing I want and can't afford... but will inevitably get anyway. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For more info and sound clips click HERE.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I was disappointed with the double cd of Sodom and Somorrah..

What didn't you like about it? I was thinking of picking it up...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2008
    Well, the score is a bit harsh/dissonant, sound quality wise (the sound quality is just bad) but more importantly music wise. Even though tt has some very lush romantic parts and other nice parts as well. But overal its not a very easy / satisfying listen. What's more the "extra" tracks are just dumb. Some male choir stuff, and I honestly doubt that Rozsa really wrote these extra tracks. They are forgetable. IMHO. The package itself is ok, but not of a very high standard like Intrada stuff.