• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I would honestly recommend to expect the exact opposite movie than the trailers show. They do it every time with his movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    LSH wrote

This film looks scary! shocked

Indeed, possibly too scary for my liking. rolleyes

I can't even think of the last time any film scared me?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    justin boggan wrote
    Did someone say "hot girls"? shocked

No, they're not allowed around here. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Did someone say "hot girls"? shocked

No, they're not allowed around here. wink

Are you saying the lovely ladies at MainTitles aren't hot?

Watch yer step lad wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote

Clearly you have not seen Glitter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Clearly you have not seen Glitter.

**shudder** shocked

Too scary for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    The Happening Official Website

www.thehappeningmovie.com

...with music! (But is it from the film?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    LSH wrote
    The Happening Official Website

www.thehappeningmovie.com

...with music! (But is it from the film?)

I'm pretty sure it is, right? I mean, it's got a cello solo and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedar … /trailer3/

oh boy. For me "Batman begins" was one of the best collaberations ever in filmscoring. I'm really looking forward to this film and the music.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    No, sorry. Unfortunately no sound clips yet!

But I just got the information that my "Happening" CD got shipped!!! One of my most looked forward scores at the moment... This'll better be good! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    The movie seems to be terrible. Plus, it seems to be going for the horror feeling this time around (as opposed to previous things like The Village which were advertised as such but were actually NOT horror). So I'm not sure how much room there will be for Howard to compose our beloved Shyamalan emo-drama stuff. Hopefully though, we'll at least get cool suspense stuff like Signs....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why does it seem terrible?? confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, it has wicked trailers! biggrin
  2. I loved the trailer they showed with Indy. I love all Shyamalan movies and doubt he´d fail this time. The trailer looked like great stuff and fantastic atmosphere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The trailers are indeed good, but reports and clips of the actual film I've seen are, literally, TERRIBLE. Unless its an elaborate hoax (which is entirely and HOPEFULLY possible), this film is going to be WORSE than "Lady in the Water." I don't want to give details in the chance that I'm wrong. There's some articles at AICN if you must know. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36786
  3. No, thanks. I know I am a very lonely guy loving Lady in the Water as much as I do, and I am so done with comments like "the last good movie he did was Sixth Sense."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    No, thanks. I know I am a very lonely guy loving Lady in the Water as much as I do, and I am so done with comments like "the last good movie he did was Sixth Sense."

In order of best film I would say....

1) Unbreakable
    2) Sixth Sense
    3) Signs
    4) The Village

Score wise....

1) Unbreakable
    2) Signs
    3) The Village
    4) Sixth Sense

I haven't seen Lady In The Water nor have I heard the score beyond a few samples.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    No, thanks. I know I am a very lonely guy loving Lady in the Water as much as I do, and I am so done with comments like "the last good movie he did was Sixth Sense."

I love Lady in the Water too. And The Village.
    So I had every reason to believe this new one would be good...until I saw what I saw...I do hope it is just a hoax.
  4. Scribe wrote
    I love Lady in the Water too. And The Village.
    So I had every reason to believe this new one would be good...until I saw what I saw...I do hope it is just a hoax.

Well, in that case I wish us both good luck. beer
  5. Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen Lady In The Water nor have I heard the score beyond a few samples.

If you ever try out LitW, do it with an open mind and think "fairy tale in a modern setting", then you have a chance of liking it. The score, however, is as good as they come. A typical Howard, but without a specific effect he usually likes to embrace for MNS´s movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I agree, that statement is just plain stupid. Sixth Sense is a pathetic film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    James, you really should have that Annoyance Gene looked at.
    Apparently they can do wonders with laser surgery these days.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Southall wrote
    Sixth Sense is a pathetic film.

Well, which movies are considered good in your home dimension?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm skeptical of any film starring Marky friggin' Mark!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Southall wrote
    Sixth Sense is a pathetic film.

Well, which movies are considered good in your home dimension?

Ah, plenty. Sixth Sense just seemed like a student film with a huge budget to me. Quite well-made, but who could care about the plot, given the "amazing twist" was obvious from a few minutes into the film? Aside from that obvious twist (and a fine score), what does it have?
  6. I must say I disagree there, James. I've watched THE SIXTH SENSE twice, and on the second viewing I found it played very well. I think the true main character on the second viewing is Haley Joel Osment's character, and you watch the film in light of his struggle to deal with these ghosts that keep coming to him for help, including a persistent one that thinks he's the child's psychiatrist. People make much of the fact that it's a film about ghosts, but to me it's one of the more successful attempts to find a narrative delivery for issues of child loneliness, abuse, trauma and neglect, disguising these real issues with a mystery. And the film is skillfully made - Tak Fujimoto's compositions and lighting do some marvelous work. While the use of sound design is not as effective as THE VILLAGE, it's certainly the work of someone whose made a film or two before. I know film student work because I've made some myself and I've tried to patch up others, and this is far far far above it. They know what they're doing.

I do wish however that on the first viewing I had not known there would be a twist. If you know there will be one, and the foundations are well laid in the narrative, it changes the way you watch the film. You're constantly looking for evidence of something that isn't being said, and you're bound to figure it out somewhere before the ideal moment. (I certainly did in this one, and in THE OTHERS, another film which plays well both ways.) To me it was a failure of the publicity engine and the film-makers, who should have suppressed the importance of the twist to fresh audiences.

It isn't actually a very scary movie is one thing I would say about it, despite a few intimidating moments. It belongs with ROUGE, THE OTHERS, THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR and many more films in the domain of the 'supernatural melodrama'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Totally agree Michael, people kept telling me about the "excellent" twist and how I'd "never get it".

I sussed it within minutes of the film starting because I was looking for it. slant
  7. I'm interested in films which play differently depending on whether you know what's coming. Watching ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND last night during dinner, I was immensely impressed with the way Kaufman's script shifted the perspective of scenes even as they were happening.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    I spotted the twist, too (because I knew there was one coming), and found the movie to be double fun, looking for clues whether I was right or not. It was so perfectly done, the hints so subtle, and what franz_conrad said about the movie being about the boy, is right, of course, but I love how the movie works both ways, and, in some way, even from the third perspective of the mother. But even if it is a "minimalist" movie (like all of MNS´s movies are), there are some fantastic and emotionally heart-breaking scenes in it that get me every time I see it. And I watch it regularly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I spotted the twist, too (because I knew there was one coming), and found the movie to be double fun, looking for clues whether I was right or not. It was so perfectly done, the hints so subtle, and what franz_conrad said about the movie being about the boy, is right, of course, but I love how the movie works both ways, and, in some way, even from the third perspective of the mother. But even if it is a "minimalist" movie (like all of MNS´s movies are), there are some fantastic and emotionally heart-breaking scenes in it that get me every time I see it. And I watch it regularly.

I would still have rather known NOTHING whatsoever on my first viewing of the film, it would have made a second viewing that much richer.