• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    I knew nothing before i saw the film and it absolutely blew me away. Don't blame the film 'cause you got spoilers ahead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    So, it's good? Or Bad? Or OK?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    I've just listened to JNH "The Happening".
    This is a 50 minutes thriller and suspens score but unfortunately there are no themes that really grabed my attention so far. But I've just heard it once yet and I will definitely give it some more listenings. There are some really interessting and aggressiv moments and Signs is shining a bit through...
    more to come.

All best
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where.did.you.find.it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited
    I guess Colosseum is already shipping it.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Antineutrino is right. Colosseum is already shipping the CD (I got it together with Goldsmith's Timline... what a treat!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BasilB wrote
    This is a 50 minutes thriller and suspens score but unfortunately there are no themes that really grabed my attention so far.

told you so wink

Bring on Defiance!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    BasilB wrote
    This is a 50 minutes thriller and suspens score but unfortunately there are no themes that really grabed my attention so far. But I've just heard it once yet and I will definitely give it some more listenings. There are some really interessting and aggressiv moments and Signs is shining a bit through...
    more to come.

All best

.........lucky s.o.b.

Let us know more with multiple listens!
  1. Yes, please. For now, I am not too enthusiastic. Though I didn´t expect a Village, I am not too big a fan of pure thrill and suspense scores and really hope JNH delivers magic again despite Basil´s early report.

Damn, I really must stop to post news reports. They threaten to undermine my sense of proper language... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Some first impressions on "The Happening"

After the first listen of "The Happening" it really is quite tricky to catch up a catchy team like the violin solos in "The Village".
    The "Main Titles" starts of with nervous strings and a harp followed by piano. The piano passage is used quite often during the whole score and relly reminds of "Sings" regariding the repeated figure, that gives the score an unnerving pace. Then the Cello starts playing (Maya Beiser) with a beautiful little melodie and omnious bass gives this opening track a pound musical character. This really is a nice operning for an album like this but you might listen to the "Main Titles" severel times to really appreciat it.
    The second track is mostly suspens music with an eerie undertone. In "Central Park" the suspens and thrill gets real with some really scary and dissonant string work, underlinded with piano and drums. Similarly but even more aggressiv music is presented in "Shotgun". This track opens with aggressiv dissonant and atonal material similar to "Asthma attack" from "Signs". It might really scare the sh** out of you...
    More warm and "enjoable" music is only presented in "Jess comforts Elliot", "Be with you" and "End Title Suite". Those tracks are really great in my opinion and especially the last track offers some interessting and, surprisingly, new ideas (there is a trumpet solo that is not heard during the whole score except the End Credits, if I'm recollecting right; an interessting idea that gives a touch of solitude and mourning, a clichée actually, isn't it?!).
    All in all this really is a horror score that won't be for everybodes liking, I assume. Is it a bad or a good score? I think, if you really are into that horror/creepy sound-mood this score can really entertain and scary you (take a lonely walk though the dark forest and listen to "We lost contact" or "Shotgun"). It's not an easy score to get comfortable with after the first listening and it doesn't offer soaring cues like "The Hand of Fate" or "The Great Eatlon" (closest to this could be the material offered in "Be with you") and the themes are delicat.
    For me, this is not a disapointment but it neither is a big surprise and as a matter of fact I'm not a hugh fan of horror movie scores. So I'd give this score 3 out of 5 stars, but I will definitely give it some more listens.

All best,
    -Basil
  2. Thanks for this review, Basil; it´s much appreciated. I am still looking forward to this new score now, since some of your remarks sound more than interesting to me...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008
    No action then? I really couldn't tell if there would be any chase/running scenes based on the trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    No action then? I really couldn't tell if there would be any chase/running scenes based on the trailer.

Shyamalan said, in an interview with Empire, that The Happening would be very much a return to his previous thrillers, saying it's 'slow and suspenseful'. I guess you can safely say, then, that there's also little 'action'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Thanks for the additional info BasilB!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Interview with JNH and Zimmer on The Dark Knight. Although JNH doesn't have any quotes in the article (aside from "fear is a great motivator"), Zimmer does say that JNH "did an amazingly elegant job with Harvey Dent. It goes from extraordinarily elegant to the depths of despair". He adds that "Bruce Wayne is very much James Newton Howard's work and Batman is very much (my) work".

http://www.batman-on-film.com/interview … -2-08.html

Hmm... I think we'll get another Batman Begins-styled score. sad

Does anyone have a transcript of the mp3 interview with JNH and Zimmer too?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Matt C wrote

This was obvious from the outset, dunno why anyone expected anything different?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote

Indeed! I quite liked Batman Begins and I'll more than likely pick up The Dark Knight though it doesn't get my juices flowing in the same way as the thought of Giacchino's Star Trek score later this year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote

Indeed! I quite liked Batman Begins and I'll more than likely pick up The Dark Knight though it doesn't get my juices flowing in the same way as the thought of Giacchino's Star Trek score later this year.

As much as I'm looking forward to Giacchino's Star Trek like a giddy school boy, I would love to hear him score a more dramatic film for once, something where the movie (and therefore score) focuses more on character and story than action and visuals.

Lost is the only thing I can think of where Giacchino has had the chance to flex his more subtle side of scoring, but I'd like to hear that sound developed more for a film score. That's the Giacchino score I'm looking forward to. (Ratatouille is my favourite Giacchino score as it has so much charm!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008 edited
    Filmtracks reviews The Happening:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/happening.html
  3. I read a first review of the film in a French newspaper...

They say The Happening is AWEFUL, the worst film ever... shocked slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I read a first review of the film in a French newspaper...

Critics seem to either totally love or totally abhor Shyamalan's films wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Agree, but I´m sure that "the worst film ever" is totally over the top in this case. I´ve always thought some critics are extremely harsh against certain films/directors, and too kind with other films/directors.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's why I always watch the film myself before deciding how it is! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Agree, but I´m sure that "the worst film ever" is totally over the top in this case. I´ve always thought some critics are extremely harsh against certain films/directors, and too kind with other films/directors.

Ah, some people just need attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Ah, some people just need attention.

That´s what I think too. Either this or that going for free to the movies for years dazzles his/her minds.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008 edited
    I´ve learned that, most of the time, I agree with the reviews by the staff of Aint It Cool News. They are the ONLY people I MAY listen to, if I need an outside opinion to see a movie or not. They are the ultimate educated geeks, and their love of movies lets them see much more than the usual critic, some things I might miss myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    Happy birthday James!

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    It's his Birthday? Oooh, I wish him many happy returns! smile (I just wish he could hear me say that. wink)

Talking of JNH, I just watched Unbreakable on ITV. I'd never seen it before, and I had read a few damning reviews - I thought it was excellent, a great twist on the superhero genre. JNH's score was astounding, I was really impressed by what he did with that movie. shocked
  4. Not ar from an age where many composer s stop or die. :-(
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.