• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Not ar from an age where many composer s stop or die. :-(

Don't, you'll give me nightmares.
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I´ve learned that, most of the time, I agree with the reviews by the staff of Aint It Cool News. They are the ONLY people I MAY listen to, if I need an outside opinion to see a movie or not. They are the ultimate educated geeks, and their love of movies lets them see much more than the usual critic, some things I might miss myself.

One should always be conscious of which films pay for advertising on their site before reading reviews.

Also it doesn't hurt to consider the statistical power of Harry Knowles' reviews. If you never say a film is bad outright, you'll always appeal to those who desperately want a review to agree with their kneejerk reaction to a film, and you'll please the hand that feeds you (studio-based PR units) too.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. You may be right, of course, but on the other hand, I still agree with Harry´s reviews a lot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's his Birthday? Oooh, I wish him many happy returns! smile (I just wish he could hear me say that. wink)

Talking of JNH, I just watched Unbreakable on ITV. I'd never seen it before, and I had read a few damning reviews - I thought it was excellent, a great twist on the superhero genre. JNH's score was astounding, I was really impressed by what he did with that movie. shocked

I think UNBREAKABLE is a great film, moving and poignant and I didn't quite suss the twist on it's first showing. JNH's score is perfect.

IMO this is M. Night's best film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's his Birthday? Oooh, I wish him many happy returns! smile (I just wish he could hear me say that. wink)

Talking of JNH, I just watched Unbreakable on ITV. I'd never seen it before, and I had read a few damning reviews - I thought it was excellent, a great twist on the superhero genre. JNH's score was astounding, I was really impressed by what he did with that movie. shocked

I think UNBREAKABLE is a great film, moving and poignant and I didn't quite suss the twist on it's first showing. JNH's score is perfect.

IMO this is M. Night's best film.

I agree, it's certainly his best directed film too, especially at the beginning of the film where we see Willis's character sitting on the hospital bed with the only other survivor blurred in the foreground subtly revealing a pool of blood. I really loved the costumes as well, like Mr. Glass's black and inner-purple gown thing, his hair style, all traits of a villain. And Bruce Willis with his Security cape on like a superhero. I know it was obvious, but I still think it was a pretty clever idea.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Happening (plus it has Zooey Deschanel in it who I find rather cute kiss ).
  3. Unbreakable is a serious underestimated pearl of Shyamalan, it deserves much more recognition. Plus the score of Newton Howard is a brilliant piece of emotional music
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Unbreakable is a small gem, in all aspects, JNH's score included.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    EDIT: Oops sorry, wrong thread tongue
  4. Ok, so THE HAPPENING.

Note to Erik: Thanks for your playlist in the 'Recent Viewing' thread. The album still dips a bit in the middle (I might put 'Central Park' in the middle, I think), but it does draw out the strengths of Newton-Howard's score more.

Now the question - to anyone who has seen the film...
    There's some very interesting material in the End Credits Suite that appears nowhere else in the score. In particular, the track really gets going with an accelerating rhythm in strings w/ trumpet melody. Does this music appear anywhere in the film? It's strange for a new theme to be introduced in the middle of an end credits suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ok, so THE HAPPENING.

There's some very interesting material in the End Credits Suite that appears nowhere else in the score. In particular, the track really gets going with an accelerating rhythm in strings w/ trumpet melody. Does this music appear anywhere in the film? It's strange for a new theme to be introduced in the middle of an end credits suite.

If you're talking about the frantic string ostinati and the strings and trumpets big theme above with the xylophones, tension and celli ending it, then i think - i am almost positive that does appears in the film again. I do vaguely remember hearing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ok, so THE HAPPENING.

If you're talking about the frantic string ostinati and the strings and trumpets big theme above with the xylophones, tension and celli ending it, then i think - i am almost positive that does appears in the film again. I do vaguely remember hearing it.

Also, listen to the opening titles on CD. And track 4.
  5. The bit I'm talking about the section from about 3:50 of the End Credits track to 5:20. There's some really fine writing in there. The three chord motif from 'Central Park' does appear, you're right, but in most aspects this is a pretty unique section on the album.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Just listend to an older JNH score, one I think is far too underrated: The Interpreter.

Yes, the first cue is nothing spectacular at all and does creep for about 8 minutes too long. But I think the final three tracks are a powerhouse of a score final and the end credits are very emotional. The score also appealed to me much more after I've seen the movie. I think, he fits the movie perfectly.
    What do you guys think?

All best,
    -Basil
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen the movie which was a snoozfest and honestly i can't remember much but the score certainly fitted and elevated several scenes. Great atmosphere and percussion in parts, certainly one of the most enjoyable background JNH listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BasilB wrote
    Just listend to an older JNH score, one I think is far too underrated: The Interpreter.

Older? What's Waterworld then, ancient? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Steven wrote
    BasilB wrote

If you like so... Yes! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Newton_Howard

According to the website of the Pacific Symphony, Howard will debut a new concert work in February of 2009.

http://www.pacificsymphony.org/show_det … p?shid=201
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    Steven wrote
    BasilB wrote

No!....In the future! "shudder"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. LSH wrote
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Newton_Howard

According to the website of the Pacific Symphony, Howard will debut a new concert work in February of 2009.

http://www.pacificsymphony.org/show_det … p?shid=201

yay, he's coming to Belgium biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ok, so THE HAPPENING.

Note to Erik: Thanks for your playlist in the 'Recent Viewing' thread. The album still dips a bit in the middle (I might put 'Central Park' in the middle, I think), but it does draw out the strengths of Newton-Howard's score more.

You are more than welcome! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    I'm still really enjoying listening to The Happening. JNH is so good when he puts the effort in, and he always does for Shyamalan.
  7. The album feels like there's a bit too much of that main motif... Because it's always stated for the same instrumentation and in the same key (until 'Be with you'), it never quite takes off for me like the more vertically active SIGNS G-D-A-C motif (which sneaks in in many different ways). The cello does make things more interesting though. I do wish there was a bit more of the sort of music that we hear in the 'End Credits Suite' - a lengthy piece based on that more kinetic section would enliven the midsection a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    I just got The Happening, and I must say it is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    The album feels like there's a bit too much of that main motif... Because it's always stated for the same instrumentation and in the same key (until 'Be with you'), it never quite takes off for me like the more vertically active SIGNS G-D-A-C motif (which sneaks in in many different ways). The cello does make things more interesting though. I do wish there was a bit more of the sort of music that we hear in the 'End Credits Suite' - a lengthy piece based on that more kinetic section would enliven the midsection a lot.

But there is mate, the dense writing appears several times throughout the whole score. As for the cello, it makes the whole album breathe btw as it's very cleverly constructed.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    The album feels like there's a bit too much of that main motif... Because it's always stated for the same instrumentation and in the same key (until 'Be with you'), it never quite takes off for me like the more vertically active SIGNS G-D-A-C motif (which sneaks in in many different ways). The cello does make things more interesting though. I do wish there was a bit more of the sort of music that we hear in the 'End Credits Suite' - a lengthy piece based on that more kinetic section would enliven the midsection a lot.

But there is mate, the dense writing appears several times throughout the whole score.

This reminds me of the time when I said I needed to go to the toilet and someone told me that I'd just gone to the toilet 10 minutes ago.
  9. Am I the only one who thinks The Happening is the least of all the Shyamalan / Newton Howard collaborations?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Am I the only one who thinks The Happening is the least of all the Shyamalan / Newton Howard collaborations?

I assume you mean the least interesting. And no, you're not, I sort of agree.

I still like it though, one of the best I've heard this year... but I still prefer The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village and Lady In The Water to The Happening.
  10. Steven wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Am I the only one who thinks The Happening is the least of all the Shyamalan / Newton Howard collaborations?

I assume you mean the least interesting. And no, you're not, I sort of agree.

I still like it though, one of the best I've heard this year... but I still prefer The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village and Lady In The Water to The Happening.

I meant indeed the least interesting, ah well the review will soon be online to epxress myself, there's no need to do in here and now
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    I like The Happening better than Unbreakable. I've never been able to get into Unbreakable for some reason. But The Happening is one of those scores which, although it might be a difficult listen on album for some people (not me), its a near-perfect work as a film score. The oft-repeated, unrelentingly cold, and creepily eerie piano motif represents the "villain" of the film so well that it practically BECOMES the threat when you're never really sure what's actually going on. I think its just as perfect as the "Signs" motif in terms of representing the ideas in the film...if its not quite the same its because the concepts in Signs and The Happening are quite different. But what Howard did is ingenious.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Scribe wrote
    I like The Happening better than Unbreakable. I've never been able to get into Unbreakable for some reason. But The Happening is one of those scores which, although it might be a difficult listen on album for some people (not me), its a near-perfect work as a film score. The oft-repeated, unrelentingly cold, and creepily eerie piano motif represents the "villain" of the film so well that it practically BECOMES the threat when you're never really sure what's actually going on. I think its just as perfect as the "Signs" motif in terms of representing the ideas in the film...if its not quite the same its because the concepts in Signs and The Happening are quite different. But what Howard did is ingenious.

I always saw the eerie whispers of the orchestra as the villain of the movie, and the piano representing the startling uneasyness and unknowingness of the people