• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I always saw the eerie whispers of the orchestra as the villain of the movie, and the piano representing the startling uneasyness and unknowingness of the people

Clever interpretation! cool

That's what I love about this film...there are so many different ways of looking at it, so many things to "discover" about it. I was almost giddy with mental delight when I discovered the "theme" of fake/artificial things that aren't what they pretend to be (mood rings, the model home, Mrs Jones' life-size doll) that I see as a metaphor for one of the underlying themes of the film...that the sense of security we wrap around ourselves has little basis in reality, is not what it appears to be, and could be torn from us at any moment for reasons as familiar as terrorism or as absurd as...well, if you've seen the film, you know...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    The film is great and as time goes by - apart the fact that i want to re-watch it, i realize it's just a misunderstood little gem.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Like Lady in the Water, too...
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Like Lady in the Water, too...

Then I like Lady in the Water way more, I like The Happening beause it is still Shyamalan and not just an average director. His wonderful story telling and creation of build up is still astounding, but I guess the movie fails because it doesn't have an ending, or a feeling I was resolved with, perhaps the story itself isn't so fascinating.

Ah well, considering the cinema version was so quietly, I need to see this one again through my brother's home cinema, loud and without pauses, the way any movie is meant to be
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited
    Anyone have any opinions about his "Michael Clayton" score? I just saw the movie yesterday and found the score rather generic, at least on first listen. Surprising therefore to find out it was nommed for an Oscar.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone have any opinions about his "Michael Clayton" score? I just saw the movie yesterday and found the score rather generic, at least on first listen. Surprising therefore to find out it was nommed for an Oscar.

Peter slant

There have been lots of opinions about Michael Clayton! They mostly coincide with your own. Personally I think that's a little generous - I found it worse than generic, actually it's downright bad!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter slant

There have been lots of opinions about Michael Clayton! They mostly coincide with your own. Personally I think that's a little generous - I found it worse than generic, actually it's downright bad!

Worse thing ever produced by JNH. Horrible score for a boring film.
  3. I find it to be perfect background music for writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I find it to be perfect background music for writing.

Oh yeah, it's great for being non-intrusive. But then so is silence, and that's so much nicer to listen to than Michael Clayton.
  4. I absolutely disagree. The score creates a very nice atmosphere that crawls around and gives you a certain feeling of uneasiness. Helps me very much while I write dialogue about mysteries and stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I absolutely disagree. The score creates a very nice atmosphere that crawls around and gives you a certain feeling of uneasiness. Helps me very much while I write dialogue about mysteries and stuff.

Wouldn't (if we stick to JNH scores) something like The Devil's Advocate or The Sixth Sense be good too? Certainly more interesting! tongue
  5. No, because their flow is too jumpy and disrupting. Your choice of words (non-intrusive) was perfect, actually. Occasionally, I use a collection of quiet tracks from different JNH scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote

Peter slant

Absolute generic crap.

http://christodoulides.blogspot.com/200 … ayton.html
  6. There are two MICHAEL CLAYTON cues that play very well in the film. One is the opening scene. The other comes as Michael Clayton leaves a message on Tom Wilkinson's phone, while the latter wanders the streets. On their own they're not pieces you could listen to, I imagine. But they have an undeniable chemistry with the images.

The problem with the rest of the score is that it doesn't work well enough to make me think that it couldn't have been done better. I think the electronic emphasis was appropriate - it suits the film's cold, reflective surfaces. But it's not hard to imagine the writing being a bit more adventurous, even as it maintained that electronic, minimalist exterior. And the moral redemption of Clayton is given almost no comment in the music - I feel this is a miscalculation.

While it has a few rhythmic problems (embedded in the screenplay), the film is very good. If you like SYRIANA and THE INSIDER, you'll probably find this one has much to offer. Performances strong all around.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Thanks for the opinions. Sounds like it's a score I don't need to explore further. I guess it simply got nominated because Hollywood has a boner for George Clooney.

I did kinda enjoy the movie though, even if it wasn't anything special. Gave it a 6 on imdb.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    I guess it simply got nominated because Hollywood has a boner for George Clooney.

Oh, they do! Never fully figured out why, but they do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    I guess it simply got nominated because Hollywood has a boner for George Clooney.

Oh, they do! Never fully figured out why, but they do!

Cause he's a legend, that's why! slant (But mostly politics where the Academy Awards are concerned... but still a LEGEND!)
  7. Hey hey - who is BADMOUTHING the great GEORGE?! shocked
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    D is sir! D is sir!

(I done told on you Demetris. tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Thomas' review of The Happening
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/the-happening/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Missing what? There's nothing missing from the happening wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I like the score quite a bit, especially those two last pieces. The sudden raise of the orchestra, trumpets and the increasing tempo in the End Credits piece, at 3:50 belongs to my favourite film score moment of this year. It's really frightening!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I recently ordered The Happening after seeing the film. Can't wait to hear it on CD!
  8. Bregt wrote
    Thomas' review of The Happening
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/the-happening/

I expect nothing but total acceptance and understanding of my review biggrin

Ps, if The Happening wasn't the last Shyamalan/Newton Howard score, I would have been different in my rating, but I stand firm in my belief that this is the weakest of all their collaborations
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or one of the strongest. Question is who's the one being right and who's wrong wink tongue kiss
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Or one of the strongest. Question is who's the one being right and who's wrong wink tongue kiss

I think the movie is not well, I like moments but I don't get a feeling out of it, neither of the score, not even at the ending, at least the guys of the podcast agree with me, they seem to be the only ones
  10. New project for JNH:

Duplicity: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135487/

Source: Interview at http://scorenotes.com/hans_james_2008.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    I expected him to be doing this, since it's Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton) again. Hopefully it'll be a far more interesting score. wink

Good interview, I like JNH's comments on The Postman!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    From conductor Nick Ingram's website:

On the film front, I was very happy to work again with top Hollywood composer, James Newton Howard on a new film, "Defiance", starring Daniel Craig.

The harrowing film tells the true story of the Warsaw Ghetto in World War Two, and how many of the inmates survived by building a secret community in the woods, undetected by the Nazis for almost four years. The wonderful score which I conducted was enhanced by the brilliant violin playing of Joshua Bell, who was truly inspirational. and drew gasps of admiration from the string players in the orchestra with his dazzling technique.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    LSH wrote
    From conductor Nick Ingram's website:

On the film front, I was very happy to work again with top Hollywood composer, James Newton Howard on a new film, "Defiance", starring Daniel Craig.

The harrowing film tells the true story of the Warsaw Ghetto in World War Two, and how many of the inmates survived by building a secret community in the woods, undetected by the Nazis for almost four years. The wonderful score which I conducted was enhanced by the brilliant violin playing of Joshua Bell, who was truly inspirational. and drew gasps of admiration from the string players in the orchestra with his dazzling technique.

Sounds promising.

I'm a sucker for these kind of films but I have to say that there are so many other great and un-told stories from WWII, so much of it seems to centre on Jews and the holocaust etc etc, I want someting different.

p.s. The Warsaw Ghetto has already been handled brilliantly by Polanski in The Pianist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt