• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    omaha wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    This should only be in the Zimmer thread, imo wink

I would rather discuss here. I like Howard better. biggrin

But he didn't have anything to do with the score. Srsly
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    omaha wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    This should only be in the Zimmer thread, imo wink

I would rather discuss here. I like Howard better. biggrin

But he didn't have anything to do with the score. Srsly

YEAP! I can believe that. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    No question the zimmer sound in the score overwhelms him but he does have a presence (a very... faint... one). I think it would have turned out better if they switched seats in the cockpit...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    No question the zimmer sound in the score overwhelms him but he does have a presence (a very... faint... one). I think it would have turned out better if they switched seats in the cockpit...

Yeap! Just JNH with no backseat driver would have been better IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah...it'd be too melodramatic i think. It'd lack the directness, loudness and ballsy nature of Zimmer's material, despite being done a thousand times before.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nah...it'd be too melodramatic i think. It'd lack the directness, loudness and ballsy nature of Zimmer's material, despite being done a thousand times before.

In other words, far less integrity and just sonic wallpaper which is exactly what the film got.

The film deserved a farrrr better score IMO.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    All I can say is, gutted! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008 edited
    From Pop & Hiss, The L.A. Times music blog:

Pop & Hiss goes to the movies: James Newton Howard gets violin-happy with 'Defiance'
    10:30 PM PT, Nov 14 2008

Composer James Newton Howard made headlines this week. With Hans Zimmer, Howard worked on one of the more acclaimed scores of 2008, the strikingly tense, vividly aggressive music for "The Dark Knight," which, as industry trade Variety reported, would be ruled ineligible for Oscar consideration on a technicality.

But don't expect the news to take Howard out of Oscar talk. Still to come is his violin-heavy score to "Defiance," Edward Zwick's World War II film starring Daniel Craig. The music is streaming on the Paramount Vantage website, and an official soundtrack will be released Dec. 9, which is in advance of the film's limited release on Dec. 31.

Pop & Hiss hasn't spent enough time with the score to offer a review, but initial listens reveal a nuanced work, a piece that flirts with classical stylings but drifts into more moody terrain. See the rhythmic bursts that give way to a romantic swing in "The Police Station," or the mournful counter melodies of "Tuvia Kisses Lukia." Additionally, much of the score is a showcase for noted violinist Joshua Bell, who was part of the Oscar-winning score to "The Red Violin."

Speaking at Billboard/The Hollywood Reporter's Film & TV Music Conference, Howard said, "The score is essentially a minimalist score, with a substantial amount of what you'd call ambiance to it."

Howard was appearing as part of a Friday afternoon discussion with Zwick, which was moderated by Billboard senior editor Ann Donahue. Howard and Zwick have previously worked together on 2006 film "Blood Diamond." Howard praised Zwick as a filmmaker who can subtly intertwine scores into his films.

"The music," said Howard, "in all of Edward's work has been a very strong component.... The spotting, where the music is used, how its used, is restrained."

For "Defiance," which, as this Times article detailed, tells the true story of Jewish refugees who fought Nazi invaders in the forests of what is now Belarus, the pair almost avoided a violin-heavy score. Tapping into classical Eastern European sounds, said Zwick, seemed too obvious ("a world of cliches that we live in fear of," Zwick said).

Ultimately, however, Zwick noted that the pair "both concluded that the violin, even though it wasn't the first time it'd been used in this context, was the right way to go."

Howard discussed some of the paths the score almost took, which he composed with a relatively small orchestra of 50 to 60 musicians (most major Hollywood scores feature an orchestra of a hundred or more players), and was recorded at London's Abbey Road studios. "I looked at the possibility of the cello. I looked at the possibility of a clarinet. I even toyed with the idea of Klezmer music," he said, referring to a more traditional Jewish sound.

No one, however, asked Howard for his opinion on the music division of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The score to "The Dark Knight" has been taken out of Oscar consideration because too many names were listed on the official music cue sheet for the film.

--Todd Martens

Plus, the film's official site has been updated and features samples from the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    According to the IMDb, James Newton Howard and Marty Davich scored the 2008 documentary film Youssou N'Dour: I Bring What I Love. Anyone have any info?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235450/
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    Sorry if this has been mentioned here before... Apparently James Newton Howard's concert work that will get its premiere performance by the Pacific Symphony in February now has a title: "I Would Plant a Tree".

http://www.pacificsymphony.org/show_det … p?shid=201

mc
  1. Justin, before you get excited, I'm sure it isn't developed from his rejected score to Terence Malick's TREE OF LIFE. wink tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. I will fly over there and spank you.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    Mikael will there be a release?
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    I will fly over there and spank you.

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    Clemmensen reviews Defiance without mentioning Zimmer once:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/defiance.html
  3. Good for him biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I actually think it's quite a fair review to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I Will Plant A Tree is an odd name. Is it a ballet or opera?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008
    Featurette on the making of the music for Defiance:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PtM6OSXWcL8&
  4. Has anyone seen the new project of Shyamalan?

Quite a departure from him, more fantasy adventure like and yes James Newton Howard is going to score it

Now this could be the thing to put Shyamalan back on track. I'm looking forward to this smile

The Last Airbender
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/

M Night Shyamalan has found himself under attack for the casting choices in the upcoming big screen live action adaptation of Avatar, titled The Last Airbender (almost 500 angry comments on our previous news story). I have a big of good news for Avatar fans: The Gorfaine-Schwartz Agency has confirmed that seven-time Academy Award-nominated composer James Newton Howard has signed on to compose the film’s score. Airbender will be the seventh collaboration between Howard and Shyamalan. Howard most recently received acclaim for his work with Hans Zimmer on The Dark Knight

WOOHOO smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Interesting!
  5. DemonStar wrote
    Interesting!

I think you can use that for both Shyamalan and James Newton Howard wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    MUSICAL CREDITS for DEFIANCE SCORE, for anyone interested:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Defianc … 6973852323
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Interesting!

I think you can use that for both Shyamalan and James Newton Howard wink

Yeah! biggrin
  6. Defiance

is it possible some of the best tracks aren't even on the disc? I'm talking about the version you could download from the site unknowningly, it is called "Escaping the Infantry" and "Tank" and the first has gorgeous violin solos (well gorgeous'er) wink and the second is really cool suspense / action music pushed forward by the strings

Am I so wrong that these did appear on the CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    I missed them on the OST too! Also "Air Raid"!
  7. DemonStar wrote
    I missed them on the OST too! Also "Air Raid"!

okay, then I'm correct once again, these producers don't know a first thing about producing movie scores

again I'm glad to have a CD of it, but the trailer promises a healthy dose of action and drama and the score shows 80 % of drama, this is not the right way gentlemen

sad