• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    Sad but true sad
  1. There is not too much action on the FYC promo, so I guess much of the action in the film actually goes without music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    Still, that Tank cue from the promo would have been a worthy addition. The climax at the end is brilliant IMO.
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    There is not too much action on the FYC promo, so I guess much of the action in the film actually goes without music.

so you're saying much of the action music isn't used in the film?

Don't know considering I haven't seen the movie, all I want is that the music from the film that is in the film is on CD as well, and sometimes CD labels throw away everything that is good
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. No, I am saying that the FYC promo, the complete that was on the website, doesn't have much action music as well, maybe 4 or 5 shorter tracks.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    No, I am saying that the FYC promo, the complete that was on the website, doesn't have much action music as well, maybe 4 or 5 shorter tracks.

but still, there's more action that would have made of it 60 / 40 instead of now 80 / 20 which I find a bit troublesome
  5. Rather 70/30 I'm afraid wink
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Rather 70/30 I'm afraid wink

75 / 25, and I don't want to hear more of it tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009
    A song compilation CD for Confessions of a Shopaholic is set to be released on February 17. There is only one score suite at the end of the album titled "Shoaholic Suite".

Right... well... Better than nothing...

Talking about that 28-track Defiance promo, was that really the complete score? I think the 15th track of the OST, "The Bielski Brothers", is missing there.
  7. It's just a suite, nothing much more.
  8. If you're going to put a score like this on your film then frankly you may just as well have someone stand at the front of the cinema and hold up giant placards saying "Cry now!" or "Wince at how horrible it all is!" like they do for the audiences in tv studios at game shows, but that's not to say the album is a bad one.

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/defiance.html

punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009

"Howard lays it on thick with manipulative - but not ineffective - holocaust movie score".

Manipulative? That´s what Williams did with The Schindler List, manipulating the audience since minute one. Newton Howard´s approach is far more honest, I don´t think it´s manipulative at all.

On the other hand, I agree, it is not JNH´s best score of 2008, which would be I Am Legend IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I agree, most overrated score of 2008.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Excellent review. I pretty much agree with it... except I enjoy it a lot more than you do I think. One of my favourites from last year.

If you're going to put a score like this on your film then frankly you may just as well have someone stand at the front of the cinema and hold up giant placards saying "Cry now!" or "Wince at how horrible it all is!" like they do for the audiences in tv studios at game shows.

True, but I don't think it's an inherently bad thing to play sad music when there's a sad scene. Sometimes, I like being told when to cry, when to feel sorry for a character... and sometimes I like figuring it out for myself. In the case of Defiance, I really like the film and its score. Cue Card Emotions and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How can you like the score and agree with James' review?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Excellent review. I pretty much agree with it... except I enjoy it a lot more than you do I think. One of my favourites from last year.

If you're going to put a score like this on your film then frankly you may just as well have someone stand at the front of the cinema and hold up giant placards saying "Cry now!" or "Wince at how horrible it all is!" like they do for the audiences in tv studios at game shows.

True, but I don't think it's an inherently bad thing to play sad music when there's a sad scene. Sometimes, I like being told when to cry, when to feel sorry for a character... and sometimes I like figuring it out for myself. In the case of Defiance, I really like the film and its score. Cue Card Emotions and all.

No, it's not inherently bad, I agree. It's not the only approach though, that's all. Sometimes the filmmakers have enough faith in their film (and the composer has enough dramatic instinct) that they allow stark, austere music for this kind of thing. And many (perhaps the vast majority) of the best film scores tell you things that you can't already see from the visuals alone, they don't just accentuate what you already know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, I like it, and I agree with my review, so I don't see the problem!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Very easily:

How could someone write a review of Ed Zwick's Defiance - about a group of brothers who go to great lengths and take great risks in rescuing Jews from the Nazis during World War 2 - and not mention Schindler's List?

I agree.

This is a film music website, and so of course where I'm going with this is that it would surely be impossible for most listeners to take in James Newton Howard's score for this film and not do their own comparisons with John Williams's fine score for Steven Spielberg's film. I suppose at the very surface level, one might claim similarities - in the sense that the most striking feature of both scores is the prominent use of violin, with Joshua Bell on hand here to provide his services. Underneath that, the scores could barely be more different - whereas Williams took on a reverential tone throughout, Howard's is a much more conventional film score, accentuating emotion in the most direct way, and a way I suspect Williams was quite deliberate in avoiding - and not without good reason.

I agree.

Early on, the score makes it quite clear that the listener (and film viewer) must be morbid without fail, as dark music which is clearly designed to harrow dominates.

I agree.

all of a sudden, action music turns up, and for all the world it sounds like it should be accompanying slow-mo shots of Bruce Willis climbing out of a burning building, face scratched to shreds, but with a baby wrapped safely in his arms; or perhaps just a helicopter blowing up after a barrage of shots fired by angry, nasty foreigners at the good old US President (played of course by Josh Hartnett). That it is, in isolation, satisfying music is all well and good; but it is so acutely modern in the way it's constructed, so close to what appears in Jerry Bruckheimer action films, it is very hard to take and a real misfire from Howard, who destroys the atmosphere he has so carefully created elsewhere.

I agree. (But I enjoy it anyway.)

Schmaltzy they may be, but who could listen to "Exodus" or "Camp Montage" and not be moved? The strings surge to accompany Bell's solos, and Howard certainly lays it on with a trowel, but it's attractive music and perhaps that's the main thing.

I agree.

there are certainly some beautiful melodies here.

I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    And you're telling me i take things too seriously tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009
    I take everything seriously. Deadly seriously.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009
    DUPLICITY
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by James Newton Howard

Includes the song “Being Bad”
    by the electronic duo Bitter:Sweet

Oscar® winner Julia Roberts and Clive Owen reunite for Duplicity, from writer/director Tony Gilroy (seven-time Oscar®-nominated Michael Clayton).

In the film, they star as spies-turned-corporate operatives in the midst of a clandestine love affair. When they find themselves embroiled in a high-stakes espionage game, they discover the toughest part of the job is deciding how much to trust the one you love.

CIA officer Claire Stenwick (Roberts) and MI6 agent Ray Koval (Owen) have left the world of government intelligence to cash in on the highly profitable cold war raging between two rival multinational corporations. Their mission? Secure the formula for a product that will bring a fortune to the company that patents it first.

For their employers — industry titan Howard Tully (Tom Wilkinson) and buccaneer CEO Dick Garsik (Paul Giamatti) — nothing is out of bounds. But as the stakes rise, the mystery deepens and the tactics get dirtier, the trickiest secret for Claire and Ray is their growing attraction. And as they each try to stay one double-cross ahead, two career loners find their schemes endangered by the only thing they can't cheat their way out of: love.

Fresh off a blockbuster year that included the score for The Dark Knight and an Oscar® nomination for Defiance, James Newton Howard adds this striking new thriller score to his impressive tally.

Universal Pictures opens DUPLICITY nationwide on March 20.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 955 2
    Release Date: 03/17/09
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice! Looking forward to that!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nice! Looking forward to that!

But mostly I expect you're looking forward to seeing Julia Roberts biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's not the slightest chance i will actually watch that retarded movie!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's not the slightest chance i will actually watch that retarded movie!

LOL biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Can this one possibly be as good as Michael Clayton?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Possibly biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009
    "Oscar® winner Julia Roberts and Clive Owen reunite for "Duplicity," from writer/director Tony Gilroy (seven-time Oscar®-nominated "Michael Clayton"). In the film, they star as spies-turned-corporate operatives in the midst of a clandestine love affair. When they find themselves embroiled in a high-stakes espionage game, they discover the toughest part of the job is deciding how much to trust the one you love. CIA officer Claire Stenwick (Roberts) and MI6 agent Ray Koval (Owen) have left the world of government intelligence to cash in on the highly profitable cold war raging between two rival multinational corporations. Their mission? Secure the formula for a product that will bring a fortune to the company that patents it first. For their employers—industry titan Howard Tully (Tom Wilkinson) and buccaneer CEO Dick Garsik (Paul Giamatti)— nothing is out of bounds. But as the stakes rise, the mystery deepens and the tactics get dirtier, the trickiest secret for Claire and Ray is their growing attraction. And as they each try to stay one double-cross ahead, two career loners find their schemes endangered by the only thing they can't cheat their way out of: love."

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    "Oscar® winner Julia Roberts and Clive Owen reunite for "Duplicity," from writer/director Tony Gilroy (seven-time Oscar®-nominated "Michael Clayton"). In the film, they star as spies-turned-corporate operatives in the midst of a clandestine love affair. When they find themselves embroiled in a high-stakes espionage game, they discover the toughest part of the job is deciding how much to trust the one you love. CIA officer Claire Stenwick (Roberts) and MI6 agent Ray Koval (Owen) have left the world of government intelligence to cash in on the highly profitable cold war raging between two rival multinational corporations. Their mission? Secure the formula for a product that will bring a fortune to the company that patents it first. For their employers—industry titan Howard Tully (Tom Wilkinson) and buccaneer CEO Dick Garsik (Paul Giamatti)— nothing is out of bounds. But as the stakes rise, the mystery deepens and the tactics get dirtier, the trickiest secret for Claire and Ray is their growing attraction. And as they each try to stay one double-cross ahead, two career loners find their schemes endangered by the only thing they can't cheat their way out of: love."

vomit

Love is in the air D..., love is in the air kiss
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you