• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Snow Falling on Cedars = Boredom Falling on Broxton

I think it's a great score but I can understand why some people could find it boring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Snow Falling On Cedars is probably the most deeply moving score I've ever heard. And I listen to it less than it deserves because I like it so much I'm afraid of wearing it out!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. This is the review I wrote back in 1999. I still stand by every word.

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/cedarscd.htm
  2. I AM LEGEND
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by James Newton Howard

Will Smith

Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable … and manmade. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City … and maybe the world. But he is not alone. He is surrounded by “the Infected” — victims of the plague who have mutated into carnivorous beings who can only exist in the dark and who will devour or infect anyone or anything in their path. For three years, Neville has spent his days scavenging for food and supplies and faithfully sending out radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. All the while, the Infected lurk in the shadows, watching Neville’s every move, waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind’s last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But his blood is also what The Infected hunt, and Neville knows he is outnumbered and quickly running out of time.

The gripping score by James Newton Howard is being described as one of the composer’s finest.

Warner Bros. will open I AM LEGEND nationwide on December 14.

Catalog #: 302 066 878 2
    Release Date: 01/15/08
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wasn't this supposedly announced as a non-release?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Yes. confused
  4. I would guess from the above post that this has changed dramatically. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great. As Ryan said over at moviemusicuk.us boards, according to director Francis Lawrence, there is only 35 minutes of score in I AM LEGEND. Granted the talks that it wasn't going to be released and now this, I can already "See" how bad this is going to be. rolleyes
  5. We can probably expect JNH's droning synth score no. 327... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Great. As Ryan said over at moviemusicuk.us boards, according to director Francis Lawrence, there is only 35 minutes of score in I AM LEGEND. Granted the talks that it wasn't going to be released and now this, I can already "See" how bad this is going to be. rolleyes

And I heard in the radio from someone who has already watched the movie that the music is underscore and always in the background.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GREAT! slant
  6. Well, I guess the movie depends on a rather quiet atmosphere, and I can see why. That doesn´t mean what JNH wrote is bad, just that it is not much, and if the movie depends on its score to have great impact in just a few of the movie´s defining moments, those tracks might be well worth the money. Maybe this will be one of those rare cases where we get the "Complete Recordings" in a First Release. *happy happy joy joy*
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    @Marselus: Maybe the radio guy saw something cut to temptracks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Christodoulides wrote

Varese says "The gripping score by James Newton Howard is being described as one of the composer’s finest." wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, I guess the movie depends on a rather quiet atmosphere, and I can see why. That doesn´t mean what JNH wrote is bad, just that it is not much

Exactly, if it´s what the movie needs, then it´s what the composer has to provide. Not that I didn´t want a great work by JNH, but sometimes I´m afraid they are paid to do what they are told, not what they want / would like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    "The gripping score by James Newton Howard is being described as one of the composer’s finest." wink

Described by whom, that´s the question... well, since i am the only guy outside JNH´s studio who seems to like Michael Clayton, I have nothing to loose, have I? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

No, he attended a screening. He is a Catalan reviewer living / working in L.A. And he always mentions the score of the films when he writes about them (that´s why I like the guy!).
  7. Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

No, he attended a screening. He is a Catalan reviewer living / working in L.A. And he always mentions the score of the films when he writes about them (that´s why I like the guy!).

I see... well, we´ll have to see. I think at least I will get something new to use as background music while writing or gaming. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, I guess the movie depends on a rather quiet atmosphere, and I can see why. That doesn´t mean what JNH wrote is bad, just that it is not much

Exactly, if it´s what the movie needs, then it´s what the composer has to provide. Not that I didn´t want a great work by JNH, but sometimes I´m afraid they are paid to do what they are told, not what they want / would like.

Nobody says the contrary; this doesn't mean they have to release them on f***** CDs now, do they? If only they released all the gorgeous music that remains in the shelves to date, instead rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Varese says "The gripping score by James Newton Howard is being described as one of the composer’s finest." wink

Oh! Take a look at: http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … -066-850-2

The gripping score is by James Newton Howard (King Kong).

Coincidence? biggrin rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not to forget the infamous
    Danny Elfman contributes one of his most exciting scores ever for this gritty political thriller. It's thrilling and propulsive, and one of the most anticipated scores of the Fall.
    which they said about DANNY ELFMAN's THE KINGDOM! punk

Now excuse me while i puke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Nobody says the contrary; this doesn't mean they have to release them on f***** CDs now, do they? If only they released all the gorgeous music that remains in the shelves to date, instead rolleyes

Oh, I completely agree here. If the music is gonna be what we think (almost KNOW) it will be, I find it totally unnecessary to release it on CD. And we have so many examples of CD´s lately that were unnecessary released....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Danny Elfman contributes one of his most exciting scores ever for this gritty political thriller. It's thrilling and propulsive, and one of the most anticipated scores of the Fall.

LOL ! Let´s puke all together.
  8. Urks! I can see why you´re all panicking now. biggrin

Me, I´ll just lean back and enjoy what´s coming to me... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    The gripping score is by James Newton Howard (King Kong).

Coincidence? biggrin rolleyes biggrin

So, "gripping" translated from Varese to English means 'atmospheric'. But with Clayton they didn't mention it was his finest! angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atmospheric........? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I think I'll just remain cautiously optimistic for I Am Legend. From the trailers it does look like it could be a lot of atmosphere, but who would have thought Signs would have made for one of his most brilliant scores? If it sucks as much as Michael Clayton (which would be nigh impossible), then we can start drowning ourselves in alcohol, but it might actually be good!

So here's to hoping! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

LOL ! Let´s puke all together.

I'll join you

vomit vomit vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The iTunes release of The Waterhorse: Legend Of The Deep appears to have four bonus tracks:

1. Back Where You Belong (Performed by Sinead O'Connor)
    2. The Water Horse Main Title
    3. Angus Feeds Crusoe
    4. You Didn't Even Get Wet
    5. The Workshop
    6. Naming Crusoe
    7. Churchill
    8. Ann
    9. Bathtub
    10. Driving To The Loch
    11. Run Angus
    12. Lewis Discovers Crusoe
    13. The Fisherman
    14. Angus In Training
    15. Swimming
    16. The Children Laugh
    17. The Dinner Party
    18. Angus Sent To His Room
    19. There's No Monster
    20. Saving Crusoe
    21. The Net
    22. The Jump
    23. End Of The Story
    24. The Water Horse Suite (Performed by The Chieftains)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    LSH wrote
    The Water Horse Suite (Performed by The Chieftains)

So I'm assuming this is a suite of JNH's music performed by the Chieftains rather than an orchestral suite featuring the Chieftains?