• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    No mention of Dinosaur? I'd rank that easily as his second best work ever.

Well, it's not a Shyamalan score, which I believe is what we were discussing now, but I mentioned it four posts above yours. I love that score, and actually used the "The Egg Travels" cue in one of the stageplays I acted in a couple of years ago, as the father of my character tells me about his "fake" adventures in the past. The actor playing my father even synched his performance to the musical hits!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    No mention of Dinosaur? I'd rank that easily as his second best work ever.

No, it's just below the Shyamalan scores wink Dinosaur is good, but all those Zimmer african things aren't exactly what i expect to hear from JNH.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Dinosaur is definitely not "below Howard/Shyamalan scores" for me, but it's not among my top favorites either simply because I don't like "African things", whether they are Howard's or someone else's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thor wrote
    Well, it's not a Shyamalan score, which I believe is what we were discussing now, but I mentioned it four posts above yours.

Yeh, I saw that. I was actually referring to the non-Shyamalan scores in Ralph's list. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Dinosaur is better than Wyatt Earp IMHO.

I guess I´m just addicted to the multitude and beauty of Wyatt Earp´s themes. They are so rich and evoke a lot more feelings in me than any one track of Dinosaur. It has nothing to do with the movies, BTW; I saw both of them, just once, and like/disliked them both in a similar fashion.

For a long time I thought Wyatt Earp was the only genuinely "great" score he had written (but in recent years some of the Shyamalan scores have entered the equation).
  1. The Village is my favorite score of his. I think I like Unbreakable next, then Lady in the Water, of his Shyamalan stuff. Signs is on my short list of things to buy. Haven't heard The Happening.

Of his non-Shyamalan stuff I'd say Restoration, King Kong, and Dinosaur are my favorites. Sounds like I need to hear Wyatt Earp, though.
  2. Restoration is a great score, no question; I frequently use it in RPG sessions and listen to it whenever I´m in the mood for music from that period. The tracks composed by JNH fit like a glove to the original stuff and add a layer of density to enrich the overall enjoyment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sylvos wrote
    Dinosaur is definitely not "below Howard/Shyamalan scores" for me, but it's not among my top favorites either simply because I don't like "African things", whether they are Howard's or someone else's.

Wow, really? What's your beef with "African things"? Is it a general thing against all musical things African or just this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009
    Thor wrote
    Wow, really?

Really really. What's the surprise for?

Thor wrote
    What's your beef with "African things"?

I don't quite enjoy "Wild Jungle" flavors in general, be it in music, or anything else.

Thor wrote
    Is it a general thing against all musical things African or just this?

I don't remember saying I'm against African instruments. Just said they're not exactly my favorites. I sure enjoyed most parts of Lion King!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ghost And The Darkness is another really good African score, particularly the main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sylvos wrote
    Thor wrote
    Wow, really?

Really really. What's the surprise for?

I've just never met anyone who doesn't like "wild jungle" music (as you call it) in some form or other. But hey, no problem. To each their own! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The one case where it actually blew my mind, was when Yvan Cassaar does this sound. Otherwise, when it gets too jingly and fluffy (some passages in lion king and in other similarly oriented Zimmer scores for instance) it gets too much for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    The one case where it actually blew my mind, was when Yvan Cassaar does this sound. Otherwise, when it gets too jingly and fluffy (some passages in lion king and in other similarly oriented Zimmer scores for instance) it gets too much for me.

That's cool. I'm positively addicted to it myself - LION KING, POWER OF ONE, CONGO, GHOST AND THE DARKNESS, CRY FREEDOM, MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON, LONELY PLANET 1+2, AMISTAD, INSTINCT, DINOSAUR, HATARI, the stuff on the YOUNG INDY CD's etc.....I luv it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Did you check out Rhythm Of The Pridelands? If you like the African themes from Lion King then that CD is a must listen, although it's got a slightly pop/rock-ish beat in some tracks, but tracks like Lea Halalea (based around Hans' This Land theme from the film's score) and Busa are really great listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    Did you check out Rhythm Of The Pridelands? If you like the African themes from Lion King then that CD is a must listen, although it's got a slightly pop/rock-ish beat in some tracks, but tracks like Lea Halalea (based around Hans' This Land theme from the film's score) and Busa are really great listens.

No, but I have the Broadway musical version.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    RoTPL is better than the Broadway version, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's cool. I'm positively addicted to it myself - LION KING, POWER OF ONE, CONGO, GHOST AND THE DARKNESS, CRY FREEDOM, MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON, LONELY PLANET 1+2, AMISTAD, INSTINCT, DINOSAUR, HATARI, the stuff on the YOUNG INDY CD's etc.....I luv it!

Me too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm more with you D.

I do totally agree with the mention of HATARI, excellent stuff. I love more dramatic tribal rhythmic stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009
    I don't see how Lion King gets "jingly and fluffy"? tongue

If you watch the film you'll see it in fact the chanting gets triumphant and majestic at the appropriate moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    As you may know I generally like African rhythms, voices and such - even though there are different types of African music. I can't help liking The Courtship on Dinosaur. But actually I felt sometimes the African voices on that score are out of place. I think Across The Desert could be better without those "ayayahhh ooooh" African voice.

But I can imagine the conversation between Disney executives and JNH... "Give us something African like The Lion King!" - "But it's not set in Africa?" - "Who cares! It was a big hit! Now the musical is a big hit! Everyone loves it! I have Lebo M's phone number here so hire him!" tongue wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Thor wrote
    DemonStar wrote

No, but I have the Broadway musical version.

The chorus on RotPL is much more powerful than those on Broadway... The stage version is good but it's a bit too "polished" compared to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    I don't see how Lion King gets "jingly and fluffy"? tongue

If you watch the film you'll see it in fact the chanting gets triumphant and majestic at the appropriate moments.

I have. Too much cheese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have. Too much cheese.

A very good impression of Captain Kirk with too much cheese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    cheeeeeeese!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have. Too much cheese.

A very good impression of Captain Kirk with too much cheese.

Nah! He'd have paused before saying 'cheese' wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    I'm not sure if this was posted here before or not but according to Stuart Thomas' website, James is now attached to "I Bring What I Love", a 2009 film by Elizabeth Chai Varashelyi, along with Martin Davich.

Also the information regarding Howard's collaboration with Hans Zimmer on Nancy Meyers' "It's Complicated" has been removed from that website. Wonder if that bit of info was false news or something that wasn't supposed to be revealed yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009
    james newton howard's yamaha promotion, if you haven't seen it, it's interesting.

"Composer James Newton Howard invites you into his studio for front row access of his Yamaha photo shoot. Learn what inspires him when scoring such blockbusters as The Sixth Sense, Pretty Woman, The Dark Knight, and more. Hear how he got the gig in Elton's band at www.yamahaallaccess360.com"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefwLO6cixo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009
    "Beautiful".
    I should revisit Howard's King Kong soon. VERY soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited
    You do that; it breaks my heart every time I listen to "Beautiful" because it reminds me of my late granddad.

(And, yes, I know this sounds odd, but Kong just sitting there, watching the sun go down, had a striking similarity to my grandfather sitting at that window all the time, just watching the world. He got very old, and suffered from Alzheimers in his late years. Although we were there for him as much as we could, he always felt alone, like Kong being a relict from a different time, with scars on face and soul. JNH wrote a theme for him. Thanks.)