• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I sense you have a far stronger emotional connection to the film and score than most people, Ralph.

Maybe because it is ... good? wink

To be honest, yes, I know that the work and love that went into making this movie has not been recognized by a wider audience. I can´t see why. I know a lot of people have problems with the length and pacing, but for me, it could go on two hours more or even longer. I just love the thing, and certainly NOT because of that ape/granddad thing - I know how to seperate those things! No, I find the design work to be fantastic, the whole backstory for Skull Island is great, Kong itself is brilliant, the movie is full of evil shit like that insect chasm on one hand, and so over the top crazy action like the dinosaur fight on the other, and then so full of heart and feeling in certain situations, and, I may have mentioned it, the score rocks. Maybe it´s the fact that this version of Kong is an homage to filmmaking itself, at least for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009
    Howard's King Kong has at least 7 recognizable themes and motifs in the album material alone. Just because the themes are not orchestrated in a way that shouts out "Hey! I am a THEME!" or appear on the album as Williams-like concert suites with the word "theme" in the title does not mean they are not there. To find them all you have to do is like, listen to the score more than once.

</end rant>

Also, I agree with Ralph on every count.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm afraid you're just going to have to change your opinion, Martijn. The arguments appear sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love the film and score too, i think it's a pretty valid modern retake on the classic story, which emphasizes the messages and meanings behind it even more. The score helps in doing that as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film is more windy than a flatulent elephant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I'm afraid you're just going to have to change your opinion, Martijn. The arguments appear sound.

Or even better: ban himself.

And southall.

And Timmer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer can stay, he likes cold Guinness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    King Kong is a very good score (I overhyped it a bit at its release) but I still like it a lot. Especially the track The Empire State Building. Fantastic. love
    Kazoo
  1. Am I allowed to add one name, purely chosen at random? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer can stay, he likes cold Guinness.

biggrin beer

I quite enjoy the film but would enjoy it more if an hour or so was cut out.

I like JNH's score, one of the motifs is very John Barry like too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Am I allowed to add one name, purely chosen at random? tongue

No need. Col Gaddafi doesn't post here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Timmer wrote
    I like JNH's score, one of the motifs is very John Barry like too.

Whoa, comment of the day! beer
    I combined this score with stuff from Barry for an RPG adventure I once directed because of the similarities.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    I thought I saw him at my university today, seriously!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Howard's King Kong has at least 7 recognizable themes and motifs in the album material alone. Just because the themes are not orchestrated in a way that shouts out "Hey! I am a THEME!" or appear on the album as Williams-like concert suites with the word "theme" in the title does not mean they are not there. To find them all you have to do is like, listen to the score more than once.

Which basically counts as a fail in my book.
    If it doesn't shout THEME and is instantly recognisable and hummable, to me it's just a sequence of notes that happens to be repeated more than once.

I dearly wish more composers would take a leaf out of the Golden Age book (or indeed from early Williams) and create some concert suites rather than just dump the digital soundtrack on a CD one-on-one.
    It would improve listenability a kazillion times for me. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    If it doesn't shout THEME and is instantly recognisable and hummable, to me it's just a sequence of notes that happens to be repeated more than once.

Hm, may I ask what you think about Desplat´s The Golden Compass?

I dearly wish more composers would take a leaf out of the Golden Age book (or indeed from early Williams) and create some concert suites rather than just dump the digital soundtrack on a CD one-on-one.
    It would improve listenability a kazillion times for me. sad

Concert suites: Yes, I absolutely agree to that, I would love them (in addition to the actual score, not instead of it). But that´s hardly the composer´s fault. They just don´t get the money or the opportunity to do it; I BET they would immediately JUMP at the chance. But if I had to choose between the actual score or some rewritten, restyled stuff, I´ll always choose the actual score. I love to listen to the score and to recreate the scenes in my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Actually, to me, if there was a choice between the actual score and something that was deliberately rewritten and re-arranged for albums and/or concerts, I'd choose the latter. If I want to recreate the movie in my head, I'd just watch the movie. I'm into film scores for the music, and a purposeful album/concert arrangement is usually a better option from a purely musical standpoint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I would agree, but often I find it to be the case that some element from the actual score that was quite important to me doesn´t find its way into the rearranged stuff. I see the advantage in a carefully planned and arranged score album, like Shore´s LOTR scores (the standard editions), and yes, there are times when I find listening to the Complete Recordings tiring. But if I had to choose, I would defend my CR boxes with my life. Or at least with ... some kind of ... awesome weapon of mass destruction.

I´m all for suites and rewrites and stuff. I LOVE to listen to rerecordings and new variations (if they are any good, of course), but first of all, I want the music from the film. Like it was in the film. Would we get more proper end titles, we wouldn´t have this discussion at all, I guess. Give me score, and then round it up nicely with a great rearranged "best of all".
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, both is better smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    KING KONG is a very good film. Loved it from start to finish, not a dull moment. I also remember liking JNH's score, although I can't remember much of it today (except that chilly and effective drone in the bug pit scene). It's by far the best of the KONGs, at least as far as an engrossing viewing experience is concerned. There's obviously no matching the original 1933 version in its pioneering work in the arenas of F/X and music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    Thor wrote
    KING KONG is a very good film. Loved it from start to finish, not a dull moment. I also remember liking JNH's score, although I can't remember much of it today (except that chilly and effective drone in the bug pit scene). It's by far the best of the KONGs, at least as far as an engrossing viewing experience is concerned. There's obviously no matching the original 1933 version in its pioneering work in the arenas of F/X and music.

In case you don't have the score, the exceptionally well scored 'bug pit' sequence isn't on the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

In case you don't have the score, the exceptionally well scored 'bug pit' sequence isn't on the CD.

That's fine, because I wouldn't really want it on CD in the first place. It's a very filmic effect that works wonders there, but not so much alone (much like the TERMINATOR 1+2 soundtracks).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009 edited
    THE FUGITIVE (2CD-SET): LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1112
    Music by James Newton Howard
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

SHIPPING STARTS DEC. 1st
    RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

ORDER “THE FUGITIVE (2 CD-SET): LIMITED EDITION” DEC 1st at www.lalalandrecords.com

Presenting the 2-CD expanded archival edition of composer James Newton Howard’s (DAVE, FLATLINERS, THE SIXTH SENSE, KING KONG ’05) Oscar-nominated score to the 1993 Warner Bros. blockbuster THE FUGITIVE, starring Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones and Julianne Moore and directed by Andrew Davis. James Newton Howard’s powerhouse orchestral score anchors all of the film’s action, drama and suspense, while never losing sight of the lead characters’ underlying humanity. It’s a modern-day classic action score that still retains its vitality. Produced by MV Gerhard and Dan Goldwasser and remastered by James Nelson from WB vault elements, this deluxe 2-Disc release features over an hour of previously unreleased music and finally corrects a major error on the original 1993 soundtrack release, (the right and left channels were mistakenly reversed). Bonus tracks include cuts from the original soundtrack release and alternate cues. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Dan Goldwasser and Jeff Bond feature new comments from director Andy Davis and more. This is a limited edition of 3000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc One:
    1. Main Title* (3:50)
    2. The Trial (4:31)
    3. The Bus (4:56)
    4. The Hand / The Hunt / The Tow Truck (4:04)
    5. The Hospital (4:06)
    6. Helicopter Chase*/** (4:49)
    7. The Sewer* (4:24)
    8. Kimble in the River (1:52)
    9. The Dream / Kimble Dyes His Hair (2:45)
    10. Copeland Bust (1:59)
    11. Kimble Calls His Lawyer / No Press (1:57)
    12. Kimble Returns to Hospital* (3:06)
    13. The Montage** / Cops Bust the Boys / Computer Search (6:50)
    14. Kimble Saves the Boy (2:54)
    15. Gerard Computes** (1:49)
    16. The Courthouse / Stairway Chase* (6:13)
    17. Cheap Hotel / Sykes’ Apartment* (4:37)
    Disc 1 Running Time: 64:52

Disc 2:
    1. Kimble Calls Gerard (2:37)
    2. Memorial Hospital / It’s Not Over Yet (3:03)
    3. See a Friend / Sykes Marks Kimble (2:12)
    4. This is My Stop / El Train Fight* (4:02)
    5. The Hotel (2:42)
    6. Roof Fight Pt. 1 / Roof Fight Pt. 2 / Nichols Reappears (3:52)
    7. The Elevator / The Laundry Room (4:58)
    8. It’s Over* / End Credits (5:40)

Original Album Suites
    9. The Fugitive Theme* (3:04)
    10. Kimble Dyes His Hair* (4:23)
    11. No Press* (4:57)

Alternates
    12. No Press (Alternate)** (0:45)
    13. No Press (No Sax) (1:31)
    14. Cops Bust the Boys (Alternate)** (1:09)
    15. Computer Search (No Sax) (2:49)
    16. Roof Fight Pt. 1 (Less Percussion) (1:57)
    17. Roof Fight Pt. 2 (Less Orch Verb) (1:17)

Bonus Tracks
    18. Helicopter Chase / The Sewer (Synth Demos) (7:44)
    19. Piano End Credits** (2:47)
    Disc 2 Running Time: 61:29

* previously released on original elektra soundtrack album
    ** contains music not used in film

Total Running Time: 126:21
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    Wow... That came out of nowhere!

But, for me, there would be numberous more interesting scores from JNH for a complete score realise...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Hmm. How odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote

Again? just 3000 units? Damn! angry
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Again? just 3000 units? Damn! angry

I would imagine that's plenty in this case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Hmmm... if you say so.. smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not such a good score anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, it's a great score, but I'm - unsurprisingly - perfectly pleased with my existing soundtrack. I didn't even know there was much more (interesting) music left out!
    I am extremely serious.