• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Well they are credited as the artist for that particular track. Whether that means they perform or feature in the track I do not know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Speaking of these exclusive iTunes tracks -- that really irks me. If they would offer the music in decent quality, I would gladly pay for it, but as it is, the 128 AAC is around a 160 mp3. I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay for something that shitty. I know they have the iTunes Plus service that sells albums at 256 AAC, so why don't they release everything that way!? crazy
  1. Yeah, well .. so what if there are only 35mins of IAL? That's that was the typical release length of Varese Sarabande CDs before the AFM rules changed. And what's more, that makes it a little cheaper to release the compelte score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    David wrote
    Speaking of these exclusive iTunes tracks -- that really irks me. If they would offer the music in decent quality, I would gladly pay for it, but as it is, the 128 AAC is around a 160 mp3. I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay for something that shitty. I know they have the iTunes Plus service that sells albums at 256 AAC, so why don't they release everything that way!? crazy

punk

Yes goddammit, yes.
  2. Oh, lookie, lookie, lookie what Varese has decided to do today:

I AM LEGEND
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by James Newton Howard

The gripping score by James Newton Howard is being described as one of the composer’s finest.

Warner Bros. will open I AM LEGEND nationwide on December 14.

Catalog #: 302 066 878 2
    Release Date: 01/15/08
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well if you scroll back a page...... tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I don't know, doesn't that take, like ... effort and stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    David wrote

First of all, 128K AAC is more like 192k MP3

As for iTunes selling ALL of their stuff at 256k DRM free... well, only EMI has approved of that format so that's why a majority of the iTunes selections are still in 128k AAC.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    You sure? I know that I've read multiple places that 128 AAC is equivalent to 160k mp3. I'm also going by my own experience. I made the big mistake of buying Verid's Requiem Mass on iTunes after I heard it at a concert. The quality is awful. It has that very distinct low quality mp3 warble when the orchestra builds to intensity. I bought the same album about a month later on Amazon and ripped it at 192, and it sounds just fine. Even the deathly powerful Dies Irae sounds pristine.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think I worked out using some formula that the iTunes ACC foramt is the equivilant of 134kbps. I agree with everyone who doesn't want to pay for something so crap.

And what's with the sudden change around with the IAL release? confused Good that it's coming out though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    You sure? I know that I've read multiple places that 128 AAC is equivalent to 160k mp3. I'm also going by my own experience. I made the big mistake of buying Verid's Requiem Mass on iTunes after I heard it at a concert. The quality is awful. It has that very distinct low quality mp3 warble when the orchestra builds to intensity. I bought the same album about a month later on Amazon and ripped it at 192, and it sounds just fine. Even the deathly powerful Dies Irae sounds pristine.

That could also be do to a bad encode. For instance... listen to the iTunes clips from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Absolutely awful.... even for a 128k file. I then did a test rip of my album at 128k and it sounded great. Not as good as 192k but much better than iTunes version.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    Yeah, that's a good possibility. I hadn't thought about that. In that case, time for Apple to implement better quality control. wink
  4. I'm with everyone else, excited for Water Horse and I Am Legend. What I enjoy about JNH as a listener is always finding my favorite gems or special tracks or portion of tracks that really grab me. Even if the score as a whole isn't super WOW, I'm never disappointed in finding that certain moment in the soundtrack that I cherish and will always love Howard for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Well, my CD for the Water Horse arrived this afternoon, and I've given it about four complete listens and..... biggrin

After scores like Freedomland, The Lookout, Michael Clayton, and to a certain extent Blood Diamond, James Newton Howard is back with a lovely thematic score brimming with emotion. There's a great mix of quiet emotion, thumping action, and celtic influences throughout the entire score. One of the tracks, "Swimming", literally gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, and that rarely happens. There are two moments of moaning/wailing woman that are unfortunate, but they are short lived.

Overall, it doesn't set any new ground, but it's a shining light in a fairly dismal year. I put it behind Atonement and Ratatouille as one of my favorites of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    I agree, Swimming is a great cue!

punk
  5. Charlie Wilson's War
    Track Listing:

1. Charlie Wilson (3:03)
    2. Telex Machine (1:32)
    3. Jailbait (1:06)
    4. Refugee Camp (5:11)
    5. It’s Up To Me (2:48)
    6. The Belly Dancer* (2:41)
    7. Turning The Tide (8:33)
    8. Where’s It At, Charlie? (1:12)
    9. Balcony (1:29)
    10. Honored Colleague (6:09)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D870%2D2
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Performed by The Hollywood Studio Symphony and The Hollywood Film Chorale

cheesy
  6. Yeah, it may be decent then...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Interesting, thanks!

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    From The Hollywood Reporter review of I Am Legend:

Lawrence is in complete control of his actors, stunt people and visual effects. These, when blended with Naomi Shohan's knock-out production design, Andrew Lesnie's mobile camera and James Newton Howard's magisterial score, create a New York City that is a literally an urban jungle.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/fil … ;rid=10309

Now, I'm sure it's positive, but if only I knew what "magisterial" meant... confused
  7. Most film critics don't have a clue about film music...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    Magisterial? Hehe that reminds me Varese Sarabande's score descriptions biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Magisterial? Hehe that reminds me Varese Sarabande's score descriptions biggrin

So it is positive? Really, what is it? confused A search said it meant 'dominant', or something like that... But that doesn't sound right, since others said it was very 'moody', right? slant
  8. Magisterial? Knowing Latin I would say it's masterful...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Magisterial? Knowing Latin I would say it's masterful...

Sounds good then lick
  9. It may mean complete ambient though. In case of JNH achieving "urban sound" he might go the Freedomland/Michael Clayton route (the latter also praised in its in-film work)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    From Dan Goldwasser's film review of I Am Legend at Soundtrack.net:

"James Newton Howard's score is minimalist and subdued, with tender piano passages underscoring much of the emotional beats, and some high octane percussion during a few action sequences. But there is a lot of silence in the film - which goes a long way in selling Neville's isolation in the former city that "never sleeps", and it's the mood that is created that makes I Am Legend an effective thriller."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David wrote
    From Dan Goldwasser's film review of I Am Legend at Soundtrack.net:

"James Newton Howard's score is minimalist and subdued, with tender piano passages underscoring much of the emotional beats, and some high octane percussion during a few action sequences. But there is a lot of silence in the film - which goes a long way in selling Neville's isolation in the former city that "never sleeps", and it's the mood that is created that makes I Am Legend an effective thriller."

I like JNH in that mode cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    You can just about hear some score in this clip from I Am Legend:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co … amp;id=249 (no spoilers)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thanx. Sounds like just a piano and some strings to me. Love the pacing, though.