• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    It seems that the list of people liking this score is growing. Welcome on board!

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's hard to see what there is to not like!
  1. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - Green Lantern

Blimey, that's a kind review!

I know, because in the movie's it's perfectly listenable and this somewhat affected my judgement
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Southall wrote

well some parts are really good, but others are really boring. And 2 tracks that aren't used in the film are actually good, but can you grade them if they aren't used in the film?

Good you like it, but I wanted more emotional gripping material (like Rue's farewell)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - Green Lantern

I know, because in the movie's it's perfectly listenable and this somewhat affected my judgement

I was not so kind (but in hindsight was probably still a little over-generous):

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=1618
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

well some parts are really good, but others are really boring. And 2 tracks that aren't used in the film are actually good, but can you grade them if they aren't used in the film?

I don't see why not?
  3. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't see why not?

problem is, even I take those into account, I still lack more good moments
  4. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - Green Lantern

I was not so kind (but in hindsight was probably still a little over-generous):

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=1618

please, I would give a little more, 1 star or less that's stuff like The Darkest Hour sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012
    My favorite part of The Hunger Games besides the occasional thematic beauty, is the use of very low bass as an actual musical element (technical terminology knowledge fail) rather than just a rhythmic device. If you listen carefully on good equipment you can hear little melodies (or at least harmonic progressions?) played on the deep bass synths or whatever the heck they are. It's really cool sounding.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    occasional thematic beauty

biggrin

Indeed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - Green Lantern

It's absolutely hideous on cd though, messy, noisy, stupid.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited
    James Newton Howard's score to SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN arrives on CD courtesy of Universal Music Group on May 29th. Cover art is up over at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-White-And-Th … amp;sr=1-1

From what I've heard from the score (large scale orchestra and choir, solo performances, etc.) I have good confidence Howard will finally deliver again. Also given good results in the past in the area of adventure and fantasy. If he doesn't, then, well, he really lost it. So the pressures on.
  5. It's crazy how I simply don't care anymore about new JNH scores. When he was hot (all through the 90s and early 00s), I was so into him and rarely he disappointed. But he's gotten so stale in recent years I just don't follow him anymore. The Last Airbender is the last one that I like a bit, but the last time he delivered something that was a genuine great listen was in 2002 with Signs. King Kong's okay but not up there with his best in the adventure genre.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    Personally I like his mid-2000s output (Peter Pan, The Village, Lady in the Water, Blood Diamond,I Am Legend, The Water Horse) more than anything else in his career. Earlier in his career he was too bombastic and cliched (yet still very enjoyable) and recently he's too restrained and minimalistic (yet still enjoyable for the MOST part).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's crazy how I simply don't care anymore about new JNH scores. When he was hot (all through the 90s and early 00s), I was so into him and rarely he disappointed. But he's gotten so stale in recent years I just don't follow him anymore. The Last Airbender is the last one that I like a bit, but the last time he delivered something that was a genuine great listen was in 2002 with Signs. King Kong's okay but not up there with his best in the adventure genre.

Will you come to the WSA concert Gilles? I'm sure he'll bring some of the period you like the most of.
    Kazoo
  6. Scribe wrote
    Earlier in his career he was too bombastic and cliched .

That was when I liked his music the most.

Bregt wrote
    Will you come to the WSA concert Gilles? I'm sure he'll bring some of the period you like the most of.

Probably not Bregt, you know how I feel about these sorts of things.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Earlier in his career he was too bombastic and cliched .

That was when I liked his music the most.

I like it too, just not quite as much as his later works. The exception being Waterworld which is pretty much the best of both worlds!

Plus, as I'm sure we all agree, the very worst score by Ramin Djawadi is guaranteed to be at least twice as good as the best Howard score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012 edited
    Scribe wrote
    I'm sure we all agree, the very worst score by Ramin Djawadi is guaranteed to be at least twice as good as the best Howard score...

I'm just guessing, but that seems like the complete opposite of what you meant to say. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012 edited
    Annnd I just hit all the wrong buttons and double posted.
  7. Feliz wrote
    Annnd I just hit all the wrong buttons and double posted.

That it! We demand you turn in your interWebs PostingsCard. We will consider an Learner's iPermit.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    The release date for Snow White and the Huntsman is May 29 on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Snow-White-Huntsm … amp;sr=8-1

1. Snow White
    2. I'll Take Your Throne
    3. Tower Prayers
    4. Something For What Ails You
    5. Escape From The Tower
    6. You Failed Me, Finn
    7. White Horse
    8. Journey To Fenland
    9. Fenland In Flames
    10. Sanctuary
    11. White Hart
    12. Gone - Performed By Ionna Gika
    13. I Remember That Trick
    14. Death Favors No Man
    15. Warriors On The Beach
    16. You Can Not Defeat Me
    17. You Can't Have My Heart
    18. Coronation
    19. Breath Of Life - Performed By Florence + The Machine
  8. excellent, but I plan to see the movie before I hear the score
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    So you will hear all the choir parts that aren't on the album! :P
  9. Scribe wrote

hmn I hope to spot a few wink
    • CommentAuthorstuthomas
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    Scribe wrote

Actually the album will have the real choir as it was recorded in London.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012
    That's good to hear...thanks! smile
  10. Feliz wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I'm sure we all agree, the very worst score by Ramin Djawadi is guaranteed to be at least twice as good as the best Howard score...

I'm just guessing, but that seems like the complete opposite of what you meant to say. :P

Considering Djawadi's music from GAME OF THRONES seems like his most popular score, with temp track lifts from the least interesting moments in Newton-Howard's VILLAGE score, it's a rather ironic view to hold.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Feliz wrote
    Scribe wrote

Considering Djawadi's music from GAME OF THRONES seems like his most popular score, with temp track lifts from the least interesting moments in Newton-Howard's VILLAGE score, it's a rather ironic view to hold.

This was supposed to be a joke. Gosh.
  11. It's hard to tell around here at times! wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am