• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    the great debaters | CD COVER

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D869%2D2

A pretty awful one in fact.

Horrible!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Who? JNH or the guy who designed the CD cover for "The Great Debaters"?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Who? JNH or the guy who designed the CD cover for "The Great Debaters"?

Both! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    About JNH.....I was jesting cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD IS THE KING!!!

Sorry, I had my weekly Jordi moment. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Two things I disagree with in this thread:

1. THE GREAT DEBATERS cover....I like it! It's different and minimalistic. Not everything needs to look like those overcrowded, saturated fantasy film score covers (although they are fine, too). Kinda modern.

2. Danny Elfman's THE KINGDOM....this is a SUPERB score, his best since CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. But it's obviously an advantage if you like sophisticated percussive sampling and post-rock a la Explosions in the Sky.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    Thor wrote
    2. Danny Elfman's THE KINGDOM....this is a SUPERB score, his best since CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. But it's obviously an advantage if you like sophisticated percussive sampling and post-rock a la Explosions in the Sky.

Oh, I do too. I just think The Kingdom lacks sophistication shame

I'm somewhat with you on the Debaters cover, though! I don't think it's that hideous either, it's got a rather retro-feel to it which I dig. It's not a brilliant design in its execution, but the initial idea is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    Thor wrote

I can already imagine you giggling when writing this; 'cause there is no way you seriously mean this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Well, I did like the complex percussion writing in that score, myself, having a feeling that even generic Elfman is basically better in some things than half of this generation in their best efforts...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, I did like the complex percussion writing in that score,

Yeah, toying with samples and libraries in pro tools while simultaneously tapping a drum or two in the studio can get pretty messy some times.

(...) having a feeling that even generic Elfman is basically better in some things than half of this generation in their best efforts...

Now, you do know that that is overblown, don't you? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just saw I Am Legend. What a dissapointment. sad

As others have said, 35 minutes of score for that film is amazing. tongue I heard about 4 cues.

Best bit by far was the 10 minutes of Shrek, and John Powell got a music credit at the end. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which one was the dissapointment? The score or the film? Or both?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mainly the film. I can't really judge the score as there's hardly any music in it at all (10 minutes of score at the most probably). All it consisted of was some sad piano cues and the odd bit of strings. Not necessarily a bad score, but I could probably tell you now to add it to the list with Michael Clayton and Charlie Wilson's War.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see. What about the film then? 'Cause i've been wanting to watch it, mainly due to the awesome 2nd official trailer that captured my interest but if it's crap eventually, i don't think i'll bother.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, I did like the complex percussion writing in that score,

Yeah, toying with samples and libraries in pro tools while simultaneously tapping a drum or two in the studio can get pretty messy some times.

(...) having a feeling that even generic Elfman is basically better in some things than half of this generation in their best efforts...

Now, you do know that that is overblown, don't you? wink

You know, when it comes to the generation I'm talking about? Except Shearmur, Giacchino, Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams basically everything has disappointed me...

You will go on how complex Beltrami is, but except Hellboy he never maintained my interest. Yes, I need to hear I Am Dina, though. I've heard I, Robot once and not keen to hear it again. Die Hard 4 I turned off after first track.

Tyler has been done a lot on this board by me especially and after Constantine Promo bored me in the half of the score - I completely stand by what I've written before, especially that I hear Zimmer, Goldsmith and Horner in his best work, which is Children of Dune to me. Bubba Ho-Tep seems to attract me somehow. And seeing the AVP:R photos you commented on facebook shows that score makes a bit more sense than I thought it would, though on the other hand I don't really *hear* that in the score.

I don't even know much other names of the 40-year-olds writing today. Though possibly over half of them are MVs, which is enough of an anti-recommendation for me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I still want to know exactly who this Peter Golub fella is. I can't find any good info on him and his IMDB page is less than impressive. He'd better be good.

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

I can already imagine you giggling when writing this; 'cause there is no way you seriously mean this.

Oh yes, you better believe it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Jay Russell's last video blog is up on the official Water Horse website and guess who it's about...

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thew … /index.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    LSH wrote
    Jay Russell's last video blog is up on the official Water Horse website and guess who it's about...

Friggin' weak video.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I must disagree about I Am Legend...I saw the film today and I was quite impressed by both the score and the film itself, plus how they worked together. It definitely wasn't a film that needed a lot of score (probably about 20 minutes total) but it worked wonders when it appeared.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Erik Woods wrote
    LSH wrote

Friggin' weak video.

-Erik-

Yeah, there's hardly anything there, but it is interesting to know that the entire orchestra was recorded together rather than separately (although I believe the choir was separate, correct?). I know why they separate them, but it seems that the performance would be much improved with all the musicians playing with and off each other.

Water Horse is one of the finest recordings I've heard in a while, but whether that has to do with the orchestra playing together or the technical aspects of the recording, I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    Water Horse is one of the finest recordings I've heard in a while, but whether that has to do with the orchestra playing together or the technical aspects of the recording, I don't know.

I give all the credit for the wonderful sound quality to Mike Ross-Trevor.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    LSH wrote

Friggin' weak video.

-Erik-

To be fair, they all have been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    What the heck is this?
    http://www.amazon.com/James-Newton-Howa … ;sr=102-15
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. I think it's his first CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    iTunes has three tracks to sample from The Great Debaters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    [Question]

Is 'Turning The Tide' from JNH's Charlie Wilson's War an existing classical piece, or is it an original composition? Either way, Howard's arrangement of it is brilliant!

[/Question]

The rest of the score will take a few more listens to appreciate it fully, but that one track is one of 2007's best without a doubt. (Or 2008's if you live in Australia. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Steven wrote
    The rest of the score will take a few more listens to appreciate it fully, but that one track is one of 2007's best without a doubt. (Or 2008's if you live in Australia. wink)

Absolutely! punk
    I'd say it's an original composition, but I haven't seen the booklet or something, so I can't tell you for sure.