• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Of my top 5 favorite JNH scores, four of them are for Shyamalan films. The other one is RESTORATION.

Did anyone else notice that Shyamalan's name did not appear in the trailer? Not too surprising, really, but kind of a sad reminder of the downward turn his career has taken after such a promising start.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012
    christopher wrote
    Not too surprising, really, but kind of a sad reminder of the downward turn his career has taken after such a promising start.

He did not satisfy the masses. If this was his purpose then yes it's a downward turn in his career. I'm a big fan of his movies with the exception of The Happening . The Happening is his worst movie and Unbreakable his best.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012 edited
    I think The Last Airbender is his worst. Ghastly movie. At least with The Happening, he wasn't butchering an already established universe and characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    The Last Airbender is not that bad but I haven't seen the animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Cristian wrote
    The Last Airbender is not that bad but I haven't seen the animation.

Compared to the animation, which is the only cartoon I've ever liked, yes it truly is awful.
    Its ok if you pretend that the dialogue was written in a foreign language and then translated to English by a poor translator. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually the case!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012
    La-La Land will release an expanded Dave on January 15, 2013.

DAVE EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION
    MUSIC BY JAMES NEWTON HOWARD
    LIMITED EDITION of 3000 UNITS
    LLLCD 1234
    Retail price: $19.98

REISSUE PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER
    MASTERING BY JAMES NELSON
    LINER NOTES BY JULIE KIRGO
    ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

Originally slated to come out Nov 6, 2012, this hold over finally makes it’s debut just in time for Inauguration Day. DAVE is one of my all-time favorite (if not FAVORITE) comedy scores and now it’s finally available in a deluxe expanded form courtesy of WEA and Warner Bros Pictures. Long out of print, this newly remastered and expanded edition clocks in at over 60 minutes and contains the score as heard in the film as well as a treasure trove of bonus tracks. Enjoyable liner notes by Julie Kirgo take the listener behind the scenes of this modern day classic score written by one of our greatest living composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    Photos and clips from the upcoming M.NIGHT.SHYAMALAN score by JNH, entitled AFTER EARTH

http://www.whosay.com/mnightshyamalan/photos/284424
    http://www.whosay.com/mnightshyamalan/photos/284426
    http://www.whosay.com/mnightshyamalan/videos/283910
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013 edited
    I've yet to be disappointed by a JNH-Shyamalamamalan score, so my expectations are high on this one. (I'm just glad 'M.Night' is still allowed to have budgets where he can afford to hire JNH.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013
    It would be nice if he had a return to early form and made a good movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I seriously doubt that Will Smith would allow himself and his son to be involved in a project with dialogue as campy as the the last few Shyamalan films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'Cause himself is such a good actor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    'Cause himself is such a good actor?

I think he's pretty solid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I re-read what i wrote and i actually wanted to write 'his son'. I had in mind to make absolutely sure i wasn't talking about Smith himself that i actually wrote.....himself! Stupid mind, thank you.

So, yeah, his son. Because his son is such a good actor, right? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    I re-read what i wrote and i actually wanted to write 'his son'. I had in mind to make absolutely sure i wasn't talking about Smith himself that i actually wrote.....himself! Stupid mind, thank you.

I think he may be the new definition of 'smug' in the Dictionary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

He was solid (and very dedicated) in The Karate Kid. He was really, really good in The Pursuit of Happyness. Didn't see the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. So, based on his track record so far I have no ill feelings towards the kid.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Karate kid was awful. Pursuit was very good too but he was just a kid, before the smug era. Anyway, we'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I enjoyed Karate Kid.

Me too. And what is this smug era, D? How does that affect his acting? He might be a total douche, I don't know, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's done a pretty solid job with the film he's been in.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry i don't see any brilliance in his acting so far; his father on the other hand, i love Smith's work in general (With very few exceptions).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    But regardless of what you think of their acting abilities, my point was that its pretty certain they're going to steer far clear of anything that looks like it might turn out as bad as Shyamalan's last two or three films, they have only been taking on high-profile projects; AFAIK the last questionable movie either of them were involved with was Day The Earth Stood Still and that was like 7 years ago. So they must have been convinced by the script etc that After Earth is going to be worth it and not make them look bad. I hope. Or else Shyamalan is a master con artist :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah i too am confident it will be a good movie smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013 edited
    Funny... Jaden Smith has shown zero signs of being a terrible actor yet you dump all over him but you're confident After Earth with be a good movie? What films has Shyamalan done recently to instill such confidence? I'm surprised anyone would give this guy any money to make another turkey. But then again, studios keep giving Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer money to make their shitty spoof films so I guess track record means squat in Hollywood. But then again, I keep forgetting that The Last Airbender made a boat load of cash.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm a fan and have enjoyed all of his films (even though I despise what a mess Airbender made of the source material, I still enjoy the film for what it is) but even I'm surprised that Shyamalan is still able to get any funding, let alone convince one of the biggest, most successfully-flop-avoiding stars to work with him. Shocked is more like it.
  2. After Earth's story was written by Will Smith himself. Shyamalan and a couple of co-writers adapted it. JNH praised the movie, and Shyamalan's tweets proofs that he knows what he's doing.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Scribe wrote
    I'm a fan and have enjoyed all of his films (even though I despise what a mess Airbender made of the source material, I still enjoy the film for what it is) but even I'm surprised that Shyamalan is still able to get any funding, let alone convince one of the biggest, most successfully-flop-avoiding stars to work with him. Shocked is more like it.

It's all about the bottom-line. As long as his films keep making money, studios will keep giving it to him. Only "Lady in the Water" was a bomb, of all his films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
    yonythemoony wrote
    After Earth's story was written by Will Smith himself. Shyamalan and a couple of co-writers adapted it. JNH praised the movie, and Shyamalan's tweets proofs that he knows what he's doing.

Get lost!

-Erik-
  3. Maybe he's writing from jail already biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    After Earth's story was written by Will Smith himself. Shyamalan and a couple of co-writers adapted it. JNH praised the movie, and Shyamalan's tweets proofs that he knows what he's doing.

Get lost!

-Erik-

I'm pretty sure Abrams has that franchise pretty much sewn up.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm surprised anyone would give this guy any money to make another turkey.

-Erik-

If I had tons of money I would be glad to give to Shyamalan so he can continue to make movies.