• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013
    Thor wrote
    francis wrote
    All I remember from the happening is the killer weed and the crazy old lady, and from that description it could've been a cool movie, alas. wink

The second half felt like that Tim Robbins scene from "War of the Worlds" stretched out into half a movie.

It wishes! That scene was the best part about WAR OF THE WORLDS, and is in another galaxy of quality altogether.

I had no problem with that scene, not a minus in my book.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Am I the only person in the world who (A) really likes all Shyamalan films and (B) posts on MainTitles? wave

YES! biggrin wink

Since the excellent SIGNS he's been on a serious downward progressive slide.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    francis wrote
    All I remember from the happening is the killer weed and the crazy old lady, and from that description it could've been a cool movie, alas. wink

The second half felt like that Tim Robbins scene from "War of the Worlds" stretched out into half a movie.

It wishes! That scene was the best part about WAR OF THE WORLDS, and is in another galaxy of quality altogether.

It was for me the part where an otherwise good movie started to cave, felt like filler material with leftover crazy right wing guy in cellar (as seen to much better use in Night of the Living Dead) and didn't buy it for a second, the whole scene was ludicrous IMO.

As for M. Night, I did like the "Devil" movie he produced. But that's about the best I've seen of his in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    francis wrote

It was for me the part where an otherwise good movie started to cave, felt like filler material with leftover crazy right wing guy in cellar (as seen to much better use in Night of the Living Dead) and didn't buy it for a second, the whole scene was ludicrous IMO.

I felt the complete opposite. That was where an otherwise well-oiled genre film REALLY started to get good, using Spielbergian traits to their maximum strength -- a brilliantly intense 'chamber piece' that is almost like a film in itself. When I think back on the film, that is the MAIN thing that sticks in my mind. Superb stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis

I felt the complete opposite. That was where an otherwise well-oiled genre film REALLY started to get good, using Spielbergian traits to their maximum strength -- a brilliantly intense 'chamber piece' that is almost like a film in itself. When I think back on the film, that is the MAIN thing that sticks in my mind. Superb stuff!

I liked it better in Jurassic Park with just the kids and the raptors in that kitchen. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013
    http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/ph … 2_460s.jpg biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013

Ah yes, he is rather an irritant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Scribe wrote
    Am I the only person in the world who (A) really likes all Shyamalan films and (B) posts on MainTitles? wave

I like all his movies with one exception: The Happening.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    THE VILLAGE was the last decent film he made IMO, even that is too full of holes. There is the excellent SIXTH SENSE, UNBREAKABLE and SIGNS then there's 'the village' then there's everything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    After Earth score is a lot better in the movie. It fit perfectly with the atmosphere. I also enjoyed the movie, not great but good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013 edited
    I liked the movie so much I would even say it was great. Absolutely gorgeous cinematography, a real sense of tension and immersion for the entire duration of Jaden's mission (even though it was obvious he would survive) and the score worked wonder to elevate the more "spiritual" moments.

Shyamalan and Howard make me care more about two relatively uncharismatic characters in this film than Abrams, Giacchino, Kurzman and Orci ever managed to make me care about the entire crew of the Enterprise and the billions of beings who's lives hang in the balance in their two Star Trek movies...I have a hard time understanding why the race of humans known as "film critics" readily applaud the latter and heap ridicule on the former...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    I have a hard time understanding why the race of humans known as "film critics" readily applaud the latter and heap ridicule on the former...

Because we have different opinions on the matter. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/wyatt-earphoward/

A review of the new 3 CD set from La-La Land.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Nice review, Tom. I've needed to add this score to my collection for a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is the one to have if you can afford $30.00. If not there are probably some good buys on ebay, amazon, etc.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    It is the one to have if you can afford $30.00. If not there are probably some good buys on ebay, amazon, etc.
    Tom

Good review Tom. I've always liked the score and would probably go for this if I had money to burn.
  2. Several new reviews, including Catching Fire

- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    - Just Cause
    - Outbreak
    - Restoration

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/wyatt-earphoward/

A review of the new 3 CD set from La-La Land.
    Tom

Nice review, Tom! Wyatt Earp is still one of my favourites from JNH and I'm very happy to have secured a copy of this fantastic release.

cool
  3. My review of THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/12/06/the-h … hing-fire/

Jon
  4. Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/12/06/the-h … hing-fire/

Jon

It seems you have the same feeling about it as me Jon, good review smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    I don't disagree with Jon very often, but I do this time. My own review, if anyone cares:

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-hunger-ga … hing-fire/
  5. Aha, a two-star review I can agree with this time. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013
    Yes indeed. It's a bit of a nothing score really.
  6. Right. I did not listen to the score so far. For the time beeing I'll leave it at that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Although what I don't agree with is the judgment of the films - I thought the second one was superior. What James calls "distinctive touches" I thought were mostly intrusive gimmicks, especially the shaky-cam in certain scenes that really didn't warrant it.

I think the scores are about equal in quality (neither being much of anything), but the fact that the album is twice as long really hurts this one. Not every score can sustain a lengthy release like Howard Shore's Middle-earth ones do. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    JNH's on a major hold these days; Same as Silvestri. Tired ol' buggers
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. It's a J.N.H. kind of day:

Intrada announces: "Falling Down"

FilmMusicReporter.com shows a new scoring assignment: "Cut Bank"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. New audio interview:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-nfpz7tqQ

You'll have to turn it up as his voice is quiet over the phone. But the tiny sound can pierce your ears sometimes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2014 edited
    Maleficent Sound Clips
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/malef … d869128994

Could this be the triumphant return of the James Newton Howard in 90's mode awesomeness?!

-Erik-