• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Maleficent Sound Clips
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/malef … d869128994

Could this be the triumphant return of the James Newton Howard in 90's mode awesomeness?!

-Erik-

I will not hear those sound clips, but please let it be a return. shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Maleficent Sound Clips
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/malef … d869128994

Could this be the triumphant return of the James Newton Howard in 90's mode awesomeness?!

-Erik-

Based on the clips, it's already way better than his Snow White score.
  2. Ooh good, because I actually quite liked that one. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That...does actually sound like JHN from the past. I hope the clips aren't deceiving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The samples do indeed sound great! JNH mentioned this when I interviewed him two years ago(?), so it's certainly been long in the making. Bring it on, I say.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. "5% more love", the scoring of "Signs":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdRw5b2I8U
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Just purchased "Maleficent" of iTunes. I'm only 5 tracks in, and it's already fast on its way to becoming my favorite score of the year. Let's hope he doesn't drop the ball...

It's like a mash-up of Horner, Elfman and Shore (the LOTR Shore). The *sound* of it is just phenomenal. And it's got some proper lush melodies. At least once every few tracks I'm letting out a big "wow!".
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014
    Listened to "Maleficent" several times now. It's simply outstanding!!

It has the coherency and complexity of "The Last Airbender" and at places the lush beauty of "Lady in the Water". An "The Christening" and "Maleficent is Captured" are really brutal tour-de-forces... So much to discover in here.

Just, hit the play button again! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow. Looking forward to hearing this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Great score indeed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Yes, it's a very enjoyable score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014
    Its on Spotify. Will give a listen tomorrow.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Listening now. Very good so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. fuck yeah, great to hear that. JNH remains one of my last true (still composing) heroes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Looking forward to hearing it tonight, what I'm most curious for is, does the score feature any references to Tchaikovsky? Since they also kept the title song, which is based on his original ballet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't know, but the album does teter off a bit after the splendid opening. Still, it's balanced well between the action and the calm -- better than HOW TO STEAL A DRAGON 2 anyways.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I don't know, but the album does teter off a bit after the splendid opening. Still, it's balanced well between the action and the calm -- better than HOW TO STEAL A DRAGON 2 anyways.

so that means Maleficent is a bonafied masterpiece wink
  8. No references to Tchaikovsky that I picked up on. Good lord, if the ol' Pyotr wrote music like *this* he would've been burned on the stake for witch craft.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th listen of Maleficent. The opening Suite alone kicks so much ass it's unreal. Last week my jaw was on the floor whilst listening to Godzilla.... but I'm tempted to say that Maleficent wipes the floor even with Godzilla - largely because (as Thor pointed out) it is so well-balanced between pure beauty and sheer power.

I'm interested in seeing how this music sits within the film. I mean... it's almighty big and in-y'r-face at times. It would have to be quite a turbulent film to carry this kinda score.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Synchrotones wrote but I'm tempted to say that Maleficent wipes the floor even with Godzilla - largely because (as Thor pointed out) it is so well-balanced between pure beauty and sheer power.

Ummm....no. It's good, but not that good. Godzilla stills wins for being the biggest most brutal score this year so far in my not-so-humble opinion.

That said, this is an excellent score. Jnh is back!
  9. Steven wrote
    Synchrotones wrote but I'm tempted to say that Maleficent wipes the floor even with Godzilla - largely because (as Thor pointed out) it is so well-balanced between pure beauty and sheer power.

Jnh is back!

I hope he stays this time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Ummm....no. It's good, but not that good. Godzilla stills wins for being the biggest most brutal score this year so far in my not-so-humble opinion.

That said, this is an excellent score. Jnh is back!

I sampled GODZILLA on Spotify and found it largely disappointing. More endless ostinati with very little to latch on to. This is one of the cases where I found it to work brilliantly in the film, but less so on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's much more to it than "endless ostinati", but it's not an easy score to like. Maleficent has a far wider appeal, but both scores are excellent in their own right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014 edited
    I think Desplat himself called it a series of "endless fortissimo", at least. For me, Desplat has ALWAYS been about rhythm and ostinati, and for once this became a very appropriate tool for a film like this. That doesn't, however, mean that I like the album any more. Quite the contrary.

But I will probably give it a few more chances on Spotify.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's very loud, I don't think you could handle it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
  10. My two cents, and highest rating to date, on MALEFICENT.

Thanks.
  11. ^ punk punk punk
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014
    Great review Pete!
    Now I'm off to play it again!
  12. My review of MALEFICENT, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/06/10/malef … on-howard/

Jon