• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. After a "ratings update", Maleficent is now rated 5 stars at Synchrotones.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  2. Review of Maleficent
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. IMO not only "good enough", but among the very best JNH has ever written.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    IMO not only "good enough", but among the very best JNH has ever written.

no, for that I still consider Waterworld, Sings, The Postman and The Lady in the Water among his very best, and let's not forget Dinosaur and King Kong
  5. Waterworld *****
    Sings *****
    The Postman ( shame not known to me)
    Lady in the Water *** (I never quite understood the hype this one was getting. One standout cue and that being quite simplisitc ...)
    Dinosaur *****
    King Kong **** (Would be ***** probobably without the rush.)

smile Volker
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Waterworld *****
    Sings *****
    The Postman ( shame not known to me)
    Lady in the Water *** (I never quite understood the hype this one was getting. One standout cue and that being quite simplisitc ...)
    Dinosaur *****
    King Kong **** (Would be ***** probobably without the rush.)

smile Volker

The Postman is what I call Waterworld light, but containing the same epic filmmusic style (I like the film too).

Lady in the Water is just magical, beautiful and that one cue is anything but simplistic. It's what most composers of today should try to bring more. The world of filmmusic would feel a little bit better through it

Oh, I forgot Snow Falling on Cedars too shame
  7. I would add "Atlantis". And I am quite fond of "Snow White".
  8. "Unbreakable". Should be right under "Signs".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    Captain Future wrote

dizzy

This is one of his best scores. Fact!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    IMO not only "good enough", but among the very best JNH has ever written.

no, for that I still consider Waterworld, Sings, The Postman and The Lady in the Water among his very best, and let's not forget Dinosaur and King Kong

Better than all those in my opinion, but a shade behind Wyatt Earp overall in my rigorously-updated JNH rankings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The very best JNH has written is WATERWORLD. After that, there's an OCEAN of distance to the rest.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. That's a funny way to spell SIGNS. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Except the undulating main theme, I've never cared much for SIGNS. In fact, the only Shyamalan/JNH score I like, is THE VILLAGE. The rest you can have, for all I care.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    The Village is my favourite Shyamalan/JNH, too. Lady in the Water also top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It saddens me to realize, by your discussions here guys, how great a composer JNH has been, not so long ago. With the sparse exceptions like Snowhite or Maleficient (although the latter mostly forgettable, doesn't stand in time as much as Snowhite did), he's mostly on snooze mode anymore.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    It saddens me to realize, by your discussions here guys, how great a composer JNH has been, not so long ago. With the sparse exceptions like Snowhite or Maleficient (although the latter mostly forgettable, doesn't stand in time as much as Snowhite did), he's mostly on snooze mode anymore.

I think, again, it's a slight case of remembering only the good scores. If you look on imdb, you'll see that even during the time of these "Top Ten JNH" scores, he was also composing lesser scores that, if released today, would 'spell the death of the JNH we love!'
  10. Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

I think, again, it's a slight case of remembering only the good scores. If you look on imdb, you'll see that even during the time of these "Top Ten JNH" scores, he was also composing lesser scores that, if released today, would 'spell the death of the JNH we love!'

yeah

Spare me all this "he's lost his touch" and "the old days were better" and "modern film music sucks" nonsense. If that was true none of you would still be here.
  11. justin boggan wrote
    That's a funny way to spell SIGNS. tongue

ah, you know what I meant eh wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

yeah

Spare me all this "he's lost his touch" and "the old days were better" and "modern film music sucks" nonsense. If that was true none of you would still be here.

I never said anything like that (film music in general). 2013 was one of the best years for modern film music, ever. But JNH and Silvestri did lost their touch no matter how blindly you want to look at it wink Just look at those 90's-00's scores they put out and compare with today. JNH is certainly on better grounds than Silvestri for sure, but i thought that the former, from the point he fell in love (or had to, to continue working, who knows?) with the Zimmer sound, he lost his own sound / identity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014 edited
    JNH has always been hugely mediocre for the most part with the occasional gem thrown in, as far as I'm concerned. No different now from any other time in his career. Ditto Silvestri, to an extent. Plot their decent scores and they're fairly evenly spread over their careers, I think, though perhaps you like more of their shite old synth stuff than I do (and remember especially with Silvestri that he used to be hugely more prolific than he is now, so if actually only one in five scores of his is good, then you have to wait a lot longer for that one in five to come around now than you did 20 years ago).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JNH's Shyamalan scores, for one, don't you think are far from mediocre?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Far from mediocre - most of them are brilliant. And there are several mediocre scores in between them.

Edit: just looked on IMDB and I'm being a bit harsh, but I don't think there is any point on his filmography where there is a bunch of great music - there's some decent stuff, some mediocre stuff, every few years something really strong. I don't think any point of it is any different, quality-wise, from any other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His best scores now, mostly struggle. They're not for Shyamalan (he's off his golden age too it seems) and not close to his own classic style. They are basically under the shadow of the Zimmeresque sound and usually lack the passion or enthusiasm of his older works, and i am not going even so far back in time. Just for instance, King Kong, a greatly romantic and epic score. What comes even close during the last few years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Silvestri's THE CROODS surprised me positively last year.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Demetris wrote
    His best scores now, mostly struggle. They're not for Shyamalan (he's off his golden age too it seems) and not close to his own classic style. They are basically under the shadow of the Zimmeresque sound and usually lack the passion or enthusiasm of his older works, and i am not going even so far back in time. Just for instance, King Kong, a greatly romantic and epic score. What comes even close during the last few years?

Since King Kong have been Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender, both of which I prefer to King Kong, and Maleficent, which is about equal to it in my estimation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly. I love the confirmation bias going on, "Maleficant is great! Why doesn't he write like this anymore!?" biggrin

kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote

King Kong is muddled, jumbled, unfocused, though it absolutely has its highlights and it's a miracle something so strong was put together so quickly. But... you can tell how quickly it was written and you can hear how many ghostwriters there were. I'm amazed you could prefer that to such a considered piece of musical storytelling as Maleficent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    ^ i couldn't disagree more wink

new project btw: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/09/30 … k-details/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote

King Kong is muddled, jumbled, unfocused, though it absolutely has its highlights and it's a miracle something so strong was put together so quickly. But... you can tell how quickly it was written and you can hear how many ghostwriters there were. I'm amazed you could prefer that to such a considered piece of musical storytelling as Maleficent.

Anyone know how many more writers there were on Kong?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
    New score coming out

NIGHTCRAWLER
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/10/07 … k-preview/