• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    So I'm watching the second season of AGENTS OF SHIELD, and every time the 'bad guy' Reinhardt/Whitehall appears on screen, I'm reminded of James Newton Howard. I wonder why?

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 … /Hen26.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    That's nothing compared to Bob Balaban from a film actually scored by James Newton Howard.
  1. My review of THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY, PART I, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/11/29/the-h … on-howard/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014
    Timmer wrote

Anyone know how many more writers there were on Kong?

Four-ish?
  2. pleasantly surprised to discover there's a new Shyamalan film (The Visit) coming soon, would it be wise to expect James Newton Howard on this?

There's no composer listed yet, yet it seems to be released around September?
    Though the trailer doesn't wow me, something tells me I could like this if JNH could compose something interesting!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    pleasantly surprised to discover there's a new Shyamalan

The rest of us however are horrified he's still working. And no, I doubt he can afford JNH anymore.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

The rest of us however are horrified he's still working. And no, I doubt he can afford JNH anymore.

Fact! And sadly Fact! ( unless loyalty and friendship count for anything )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Maybe he'll get Fernando Velazquez, like on Devil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Maybe he'll get Fernando Velazquez, like on Devil.

Shyamalan didn't direct Devil.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. And Spielberg didn't direct Poltergeist. tongue
  5. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Even though his last films weren't good, I still like his style (even liked After Earth and before that his typical slow moving style in Lady in the Water), this movie looks like a clone from the Paranormal Activity movies so who knows there will be music in it at all?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Even if he couldn't afford him, there's no telling if J.N.H. would do it anyway for a deduced fee. I'm sure he knows by now his fan base widly considers his work for the flash-in-the-pan director to be amongst his very best. And even when Shyamalamadingdong's films clearly starting taking a bent turn towards Wankerville, he still stuck with him and produced decent output.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2015 edited
    I had high hopes for THE VISIT when I first heard about the project -- could it be a return to form with a more indie, low budget affair for Shyamalan? Alas, the trailer turned out to be generic shite. I cannot possibly imagine this to be any good, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Well, with a grain of salt, an IMDb member claiming to have attended an early screening, doesn't speak very highly of it at all.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. And the composer for the "score" to "The Visit" is...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/08/31 … -cantelon/
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015 edited
    Wow. Howard remarked before about how M Night had requested very little music in his films...

Seems he's getting away with it now. Shame that Howard couldn't even be commisioned with writing a short 'Epilogue' cue. But more importantly, I hope the two of them don't drift apart, even if M. Night does not deserve to make films anymore.
  9. Yes, the only reason Shyamalan should continue making movies is if J.N.H. scores them. Otherwise, no thanks. Unless he pulls another "Unbreakable" or "Signs" out of his butt.
  10. I just don't understand how a man who wrote and directed such good films at the beginning could have somehow lost nearly all of that skill. I think THE SIXTH SENSE, UNBREAKABLE, and SIGNS were great. They were different. He got really great performances out of his actors. His camera angles were unique and really great. His stories were original. The writing was solid, and frequently excellent. SIGNS gets criticized by some, but it's my favorite film from him. The family dynamic in that film is SO good. The dialogue is often hilarious (intentionally...). The story arc is great. The aliens are crappy looking, yeah, and that final confrontation in the house is pretty disappointing after the scenes that lead up to it, but the film was never about the aliens anyway. Even THE VILLAGE had some really good things going for it. Somewhere along the line his dialogue got terrible. The acting got really bad, too. I wonder how this new film will be. It looks like a standard horror film from the trailer. I wonder if there will be something special about it that elevates it in some way. His decline is just a sad one, for me. He was, at one point, one of the most promising new writer/directors in Hollywood.
  11. Footage from this year's 'Hollywood in Vienna' is now up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjohzU2 … U2Zw1c#t=1

Looks like another amazing evening there, wish I'd been able to attend this year but a treat to have the video available like this.
  12. Holy frak! Thanks for this!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016
    Apparently, James is scoring the upcoming HBO drama series All The Way about the presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016 edited
    JNH is doing a European tour next year with "3 Decades of Music for Hollywood", a concert in which he himself also is conductor.
    http://www.frontview-magazine.be/nl/nie … -antwerpen (dutch)

I know he'll be performing in Antwerp (11 November), Geneve (3 December) and Bilboa. Other dates will appear later.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016
    Everyone's doing a concert tour these days, but nobody ever comes to Norway! You're fortunate to get all these great composers down there (Zimmer, Morricone, JNH etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Everyone's doing a concert tour these days, but nobody ever comes to Norway! You're fortunate to get all these great composers down there (Zimmer, Morricone, JNH etc.).

They've heard how much a pint is, they're not stupid Thor wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good point.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. The old JNH is back! punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOMpfxsUpk

It's been a long time since he wrote much that was truly magical or emotional. This cue probably slips into RC stylings more than we would like in the middle segment, but the opening closing and minute are pure 90s/00s melodic, passionate adventure music like the kind that made Howard one of my favorite composers in the beginning of my film music fandom.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016
    Listened to this earlier, unfortunately it's the only track available on Spotify despite the "whole" album being up. Sounds promising despite the RC style in that middle segment.

Good to hear JW's theme incorporated.