• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, looking forward to that.

I just declined a phone interview with JNH tomorrow. Several reasons, mostly to do with time, but I'm hoping to do one when he gets to Oslo in one year's time.

Good luck! Hopefully you can do the interview.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016
    It's not uncommon that I decline an interview with JNH too. There's just not always time for that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016
    You declined a phone-call with JNH!!!??? You should have passed him on to me! I'm a big fan!

And I'm drunk. dizzy
  1. Bregt wrote
    It's not uncommon that I decline an interview with JNH too. There's just not always time for that.

Yeah, I mean, just last week I had to decline J.N.H. from a phone interview three times. He just keeps calling and calling and calling, and I'm like, "Dude, I have to decline this phone interview with you, I'm busy".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016
    He, he...

I hate phone interviews, so that's another reason why I declined. I'm confident I'll get a face-to-face interview when he gets here (maybe he remembers me from the Ghent interview a few years ago). But that's not for a whole other year (November 2017).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bregt wrote

In the mighty words of Achmed the Dead Terrorist.

SILENCE! I KILLLLL YOUUUU! wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. My review of FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/11/19/fant … on-howard/

Jon
  4. Great review Jon [James]. We are in full agreement. This is a magnificent score. No doubt, one of the year's best.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Why do you refer to Jon as James?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. That is actually a very good question. Well, both are a manifestation of the Highest, like Vishnu and Shiva. wink
  7. Haven't been here in a while, and seeing that JNH is doing the new Jumanji is the best film music newsI've heard in months. Well, besides today's Williams news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2016
    Southall wrote
    What's today's Williams news?

I'm curious too -- unless Morgan is referring to the expanded JURASSIC PARK set.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Southall wrote
    What's today's Williams news?

I don't know, but I have a feeling it'll be news to Williams.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016
  9. It just came to my attention that Howard is credited as the composer of the newly released Netflix drama "A Series of Unfortunate Events". His name is even given prominent placement in the artsy opening credits title song scene! As it's extremely unusual for an AAA film composer to be doing a TV score, Netflix or not, was anyone away of this assignment beforehand? Any info on how the score was recorded?

Update: Doing a little digging, it appears Howard did the first few episodes and then Bacon probably did the rest of the series for the most part. That seems more along the lines of how these things usually go. So we have a Zimmer + Jackman or RGR or Shea/Klebe situation I suppose. Not quite as exciting as Howard doing the whole series solo but still way more unusual than yet another paid subscription big budget TV show being done by Remote Control! We also have the song portions of the soundtrack being handled by Nick Urata which is another film composer connection...Netflix appears to have "spared no expense" biggrin

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/ … most-part/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017
    Yes, it seems to be a collab between several composers. I'm guessing JNH is the 'supervisor' and perhaps main composer, a la how Zimmer does it on a lot of things.

Don't know if JNH has written the song in the title sequence, but it sounds like Yann Tiersen in AMELIE mode.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Nick Urata was originally announced to score the series, but I don't know what happened.

According to FilmMusicReporter, Howard did the pilot and Bacon is doing the series.
  11. There is a second link in the JWFan thread verify ing that JNH / Bacon did the score and Urata did the songs.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017
    Bacon is only officially credited for the final two episodes. With the exception of Ep 3 (done by someone I don't recognize), JNH did the rest. Or at least, that's how it's credited. In practice, who knows? Either way, the music isn't terribly noticeable in the show thanks to a very low mix.
  12. Thanks, Johs B. I'll have to look again and see how many episodes there were for the season, but IMDb has J.N.H. down for eight episodes, which might be incorrect.
  13. There are indeed eight episodes. So that would be 6 for JNH I suppose. Given how these things generally work, I would guess the actual writing division was not quite that clear-cut, but that would be mere speculation.
  14. Who was the episode three composer? It's weird, as IMDb shows that's a Part I of a two-part episode. Whiel I can't think of any two-parters since 1994 that had a different composer on each part, it certainly could still happen.

EDIT:
    Solved in another score board thread: Sven Faulconer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017
    Caliburn wrote
    http://soundtrackfest.com/en/news/james … 2016-2017/

Apparently some showes are canceled :-/

Yes, here in Norway, among others. It was announced about a week ago. A shame!
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Düsseldorf /Germany - the nearest venue for me - seems almost sold out. It's tempting, but 111€ plus 250 km driving at the end of November when things can be wintry already... I think, I'd rather buy a DVD should one emerge from the tour.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017
    Here's a cover I did of two of the last cues from King Kong.
    I've re-recorded all of the horns and trumpets ( that is an 8-Horn section & 3 Tpts ) plus a bunch of other fun parts wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFAVGK1thE
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017
    Marc wrote
    Here's a cover I did of two of the last cues from King Kong.
    I've re-recorded all of the horns and trumpets ( that is an 8-Horn section & 3 Tpts ) plus a bunch of other fun parts wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFAVGK1thE

I've been watching your channel recently but had no idea you were on the board! You have great stuff, man!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  16. WATERWORLD: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1426
    Music by James Newton Howard
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units
    RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING AUGUST 25

La-La Land Records, Universal Pictures and Universal Music Special Markets present the remastered and expanded 2CD reissue of renowned composer James Newton Howard’s (THE FUGITIVE, WYATT EARP, GRAND CANYON) original motion picture score to the 1995 action/fantasy feature film WATERWORLD, starting Kevin Costner, Dennis Hopper and Jeanne Tripplehorn, and directed by Kevin Reynolds. Considered by many to be one of the great 90’s action scores, and even considered by the composer himself to be one of his best, WATERWORLD is musical work for the ages – a thrilling orchestral epic, bursting with propulsive action, robust themes and rich emotion. This deluxe re-issue showcases an assembly worthy of this important score, including never-before-released material, bonus tracks and a total running time of over 2 hours. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and Mike Matessino, and mastered by Matessino from original elements in the composer’s personal archive, this special limited edition release of 3000 units features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Tim Greiving and art design by Dan Goldwasser. The striking cover art is a previously unused piece by legendary illustrator/artist Drew Struzan!

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1
    1. Main Titles 4:47
    2. Escaping the Smokers 3:53
    3. The Atoll 1:45
    4. Hydroholic* 1:02
    5. Gills 2:02
    6. Prodigal Child 1:58
    7. Gregor at Cage* 2:59
    8. Recycled* / Smokers Sighted / Battle* /
    The Balloon* 7:12
    9. Helen Frees the Mariner 3:32
    10. Opening the Gates* 3:20
    11. She’s Here Somewhere †* 0:35
    12. Three on Deck†* / Helen’s Offer* 1:35
    13. Speargun 1:47
    14. Helen Sews 0:53
    15. Enola Overboard* /
    Can We Outrun Them?* 2:59
    16. The Skyboat 3:58
    17. Haircuts 1:36
    18. Half an Hour 4:38
    19. Swimming 4:19
    20. Slave Colony* 4:52
    21. The Bubble 3:27
    TOTAL DISC TIME: 63:09

DISC 2
    1. Meeting Deacon* / Kiss of Life* 4:29
    2. We’re Gonna Die 2:06
    3. National Geographics 1:48
    4. Gregor Returns* 1:14
    5. Arriving at the Deez 4:31
    6. Deacon’s Speech 3:55
    7. Rowing* 1:35
    8. Why Aren’t You Rowing 2:42
    9. Slide for Life 4:53
    10. Bungee* 2:33
    11. Balloon Flight 0:52
    12. Dry Land 1:50
    13. Mariner’s Goodbye† 3:17
    14. Main Credits 2:20

BONUS TRACKS
    15. Music Box Theme* 2:18
    composed by Mark Isham
    16. The Atoll* (Alternate) 1:46
    17. Helen Frees the Mariner* (Alternate) 2:48
    18. Escaping the Smokers* (Demo) 3:29
    19. Helen Frees the Mariner* (Demo) 3:49
    20. Three on Deck†* (Demo) 2:04
    21. Deacon’s Speech* (Demo) 3:54
    22. Slide for Life* (Demo) 3:37
    23. Thank You / Session Wrap Speech 6:15
    TOTAL DISC TIME: 68:08
    TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 131:17

LINK TO BUY
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  17. The track list looks totally delicious because this is one of my favorite JNH scores, but I'm still on the fence whether this would be a worthy upgrade. Then again, releases like this are the only ones that interest me anymore. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.