• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2018
    Aidabaida wrote
    Hey maintitles, at what point did you realize James Newton Howard's "Hunger Games" scores were the best scores of the last decade?

lel
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2018
    I listened two more times to the overture and have now concluded that there is little if any Russian influence at all. The work is unique to Howard and works in the film. As a stand alone piece of classical music it would never be performed.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2018
    A bit late, but here is my review of Red Sparrow:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/04/red … on-howard/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2018 edited
    Here's my Horn & Trumpet Cover of John's fantastic Leviathan Battle cue from Atlantis !
  1. My review of FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/11/24/fant … on-howard/

Jon
  2. I've been listening to The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by James Newton Howard and there's a section of the Mouserinks cue from about 2:20 to 3:00 that sounds so much like James Horner that I forget what I'm listening to for a second! It's sounds like something right out of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas or Willow, but it's very nostalgic and makes me miss Horner and wonder how he would have approached Four Realms if he had been around o compose for it.

Have you ever been similarly "derailed" by a cue that sounds like a totally different composer somewhere within it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2018
    If anything, the score is drenched in Tchaikovsky (for obvious reasons). But yes, a fine score -- will probably be the only traditional, orchestral score on my top 10 this year.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I've been listening to The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by James Newton Howard and there's a section of the Mouserinks cue from about 2:20 to 3:00 that sounds so much like James Horner that I forget what I'm listening to for a second! It's sounds like something right out of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas or Willow, but it's very nostalgic and makes me miss Horner and wonder how he would have approached Four Realms if he had been around o compose for it.

Have you ever been similarly "derailed" by a cue that sounds like a totally different composer somewhere within it? smile

Every time I listen to a John Debney score wink. His ability to channel other composers' sounds is uncanny. A lot of JUNGLE BOOK made me think I was listening to Goldsmith. A lot of DRAGONFLY could easily have been composed by JNH. A lot of DREAMER sounds like James Horner.

As for the "Mouserinks" cue, since you mentioned it, I do hear a little James Horner in there, but I never would have noticed if you hadn't brought it to my attention. Anything that reminds me of him is a good thing, so thanks for sharing smile
  4. Listening to the Expanded treatment of Alive. Even though the original soundtrack has a powerful selection, it's fun to hear additional tracks from time to time, like for instance the Signs similarities in "Post Avalanche"
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2021
    My pocket review of RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON:

http://celluloidtunes.no/raya-and-the-l … on-howard/
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Good review, Thor. I'll be seeing the film on Friday. I have to admit that most of the score didn't do a whole lot for me. Your analysis of the film would explain why. I did like the last few tracks, and a couple highlights along the way. I look forward to hearing it in context.
  6. I feel like my expectations were too high for this score. Given James Newton Howard's phenomenal track record with animated films, I guess I was thinking it would be more reminiscent of Dinosaur, Atlantis or Treasure Planet, and it's far from those. Of course, it makes sense that two decades later, animated films might require a different musical landscape - so maybe I was just hoping for something from the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I feel like my expectations were too high for this score. Given James Newton Howard's phenomenal track record with animated films, I guess I was thinking it would be more reminiscent of Dinosaur, Atlantis or Treasure Planet, and it's far from those. Of course, it makes sense that two decades later, animated films might require a different musical landscape - so maybe I was just hoping for something from the past.

I've actually whittled it down to a pretty good 47-minute playlist. For now, I've just removed some tracks (mostly the non-descript or overly mickey-mousey affairs, or tracks with a radically different style that breaks up the magical/world music vibes), but at some point, I might try to shuffle the tracks around a bit to allow for even better flow.

Here's the playlisted version, if you're interested.

http://celluloidtunes.no/_oldsite/non-website/raya.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Oh, nice! Maybe I'll try listening that way. I'm using a new streaming service called Qobuz that my husband got a trial subscription for to listen to Raya, so I'm not sure if they have playlist capabilities, but I'll check it out and see! smile