• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Steven wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    Hah! No one is compelling anyone to buy anything! Buy whatever you want. I just don't understand the mentality that drives some people to feel that they need to post that they DON'T want an album when it's announced.

It's called discussion and voicing your opinion (the whole point of a forum). Some people like this score, some people don't - some people are indifferent. Therefore, we discuss. (And just because this is The Internet™, that doesn't necessarily mean we're arguing.) Simply stating 'I don't want this' admittedly doesn't incite much conversation, but then nobody's really said that.

beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    in regards to the above several comments: I think, when we are saying less-than-glowingly-positive things about the scores that are chosen to be released, it is only because there are many other scores that have been much more deeply desired and have much more interesting unique unreleased material. And as there is not an infinite amount of constant new releases, it is disappointing to see what seem to be less worthy scores getting the expanded treatment.

this is a sentinment which certainly doesn't apply to BTTF, which I personally have zero interest in, but you don't see me complaining about it because I know that many others have been very desirous of seeing a new release for a very long time, so I am happy for them.

Also very, very true. Good points people.

Dan, this is a very healthy forum and a friendly community. It might appear elsewhere though, to someone who jumps in only for specific threads / posts / reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009 edited
    And for Dan, who has/d a vested commercial interest in this score release, to jump in, make some unwarranted sarcastic prepositions towards people who seem to be not immediately waxing gushingly hyperbolic about this score release, sits a little poorly with me.

Nothing against Dan's ever-sterling efforts as far as product contents go.
    But I must have missed the business masterclass where getting sarky with potential clients was actually proposed as a viable commercial strategy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. One of the positives from people posting that they don't intend to buy a particular release is that it sometimes help me flag up a concern that I may be interested in.

If I have learnt over the years that someone else's tastes very much mirror my own tastes then, if they give a reason why they will not be buying a title, then I'll keep this in mind when I come to deciding whether or not to pit my money on the table and buy it.

CD producers wouldn't want people to buy things that listeners wouldn't enjoy. Would they?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure CD producers don't want to produce CDs people won't enjoy.
    However once they're produced, they'd definitely want you to buy! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Martijn wrote
    And for Dan, who has/d a vested commercial interest in this score release, to jump in, make some unwarranted sarcastic prepositions towards people who seem to be not immediately waxing gushingly hyperbolic about this score release, sits a little poorly with me.

Nothing against Dan's ever-sterling efforts as far as product contents go.
    But I must have missed the business masterclass where getting sarky with potential clients was actually proposed as a viable commercial strategy.

On the contrary, as with all limited edition releases, as a producer on a project I don't get any money from sales, since it's a limited quantity. So if it sells 1 unit or all 3,000, it doesn't really affect me personally.

I wasn't expecting everyone to gush about the release - and yes, there are PLENTY of other releases that people (myself included) might consider to be more worthy of getting out there than this one, but people don't always realize the behind-the-scenes considerations that go on to get an album out there. It's not like we DON'T want to release GOONIES, GREMLINS, etc. But sometimes certain projects take longer than others, and it's in our best interest to release what we can, when the opportunity arrives, and hope that there are enough fans willing and interested to pick up the releases.

That there are always SOME people who seem to post that they'll skip this release, or pass, or not interested is inevitable, but still it comes across as a bit dismissive - especially when you would think that they'd be able to recognize that there are OTHER people who DO want that particular release.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    dgoldwas wrote
    That there are always SOME people who seem to post that they'll skip this release, or pass, or not interested is inevitable, but still it comes across as a bit dismissive - especially when you would think that they'd be able to recognize that there are OTHER people who DO want that particular release.

I don't think the people who say they won't be buying a release (for whatever reason) automatically also think it shouldn't be released AT ALL. Those would be exceptions, anyway. It's possible to have two thoughts in one's head at the same time - not liking it, but still being happy for the people who do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

I don't think the people who say they won't be buying a release (for whatever reason) automatically also think it shouldn't be released AT ALL. Those would be exceptions, anyway. It's possible to have two thoughts in one's head at the same time - not liking it, but still being happy for the people who do.

Of course. We're simply discussing, not criticizing anyone for the matter.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

Very true. We are very lucky to have a choice of older scores being released or re-relased these days and we get to choose which one is important for us to have in our collection. We really appreciate the efforts that producers are doing to release all these scores. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not entirely sure why there's an issue here? Nobody has responded negatively to the fact that this is getting a release, to the actual album, but rather a lukewarm reaction to the score, the part we're already familiar with. The more releases like this the better, there's more chance there will be more scores *I* enjoy released. But I, we, can't like them all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    dgoldwas wrote
    (c) influenced a whole generation of composers.

Which generation was that? In all seriousness - I've never noticed that myself.
  2. At least Debney in Sudden Death.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    One of the positives from people posting that they don't intend to buy a particular release is that it sometimes help me flag up a concern that I may be interested in.

If I have learnt over the years that someone else's tastes very much mirror my own tastes then, if they give a reason why they will not be buying a title, then I'll keep this in mind when I come to deciding whether or not to pit my money on the table and buy it.

Exactly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    At least Debney in Sudden Death.

Let's make a list of the composers who haven't influenced him at some point.

End of list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    At least Debney in Sudden Death.

Let's make a list of the composers who haven't influenced him at some point.

End of list.

How many composers have you met, Southall?
    Exactly. Not many. Your opinion doesn't count!

Fuck.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    My only experience with THE FUGITIVE is the re-recording of "It's Over" by Silva screen from "Music from the Films of Harrison Ford". It's apretty good track. I'll probably purchase this one, depending on what Intrada releases the next few weeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009
    Wikipedia is claiming that James Newton Howard is scoring Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang. Can anyone confirm this? I'm pretty sure Thomas Newman was attached to the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_McPh … e_Big_Bang
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    That one was supposed to get a score by Thomas Newman, but I just noticed that it's no longer listed on his GSA resume. Nothing about this on Howard's Resume yet either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009 edited
    If you look at the version history you can see the comment from the user who changed the composer to JNH.

He says that this are the credits according to this poster http://impawards.com/2010/nanny_mcphee_ … _ver2.html

I think one can see James Newton Howard there in the middle of the third row.

Damn. I was hoping for another Lemony Snicket.
  3. Yes, Howard's name is visible
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    If you guys can actually see Howard's name on that tiny little image then you sure have some really good eyesights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, it's right in the middle. Definitely looks like JNH.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    RoTPL is better than the Broadway version, IMO.

Have you seen the Broadway version? It's really good. I know you'd like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    I'll see it if they perform it in my country, LOL. wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    The recent international trailer for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang lists James Newton Howard as composer, not Thomas Newman as originally reported in the Working Title press release.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nanny who and the what confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Christodoulides wrote

Patrick Doyle scored the first movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Matt C wrote
    The recent international trailer for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang lists James Newton Howard as composer, not Thomas Newman as originally reported in the Working Title press release.

Oh noes. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

LOL! biggrin Yeah, I know it sounds like a different kind of movie.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know Patrick scored the first movie, which i purposely avoid watching, but i didn't know they were making a sequel for that; most importantly who came up with the title? He / she should be shot.