• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    Ugh! The last thing we need is JUH doing more Powellish scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree. We have John Powell for that. On the other hand, I guess it's too much to hope that he will be doing those films forever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Eh, I wouldn't want Powell to keep on with the Bourne stuff either, especially when it's not about Jason Bourne. But it would have been nice to have Powell do more "serious" action scoring, instead of doing more animation.
    And I actually LOVE that one huge action track from Salt so I wouldn't mind hearing JNH expand on that facet.
  1. I'm for a change in composers in long running film franchises, like Bond or Trek, where leads change, cast change, etc., but the Bourne franchise has been relatively short, Powell isn't exactly busy, Powelll defined the series' music, and there was really no need to bring in your own composers this time.

And I too am tired of the recent J.N.H.-R.C. romp.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm fine with this. We don't really need another Powell Bourne score, but we do need a new Powell live action score. He's just way too good to spend all his time in animation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I'm fine with this. We don't really need another Powell Bourne score, but we do need a new Powell live action score. He's just way too good to spend all his time in animation.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Considering that Powell's last Bourne score had the awesome Tangiers, I can't help but thinking about what we will be missing out of.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited
    2012 is going to be a busy year for James Newton Howard. He already has 3 big projects: Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hunger Games, The Bourne Legacy.

In January there is also a concert performed by The Dallas Symphony Orchestra: Masters of Film Music: James Newton Howard https://dallassymphony.com/season-ticke … music.aspx

Another interesting news is that JNH will compose a concert piece for Hilary Hahn. 27 composers are involved in Hilary Hahn Encore' project: http://www.hilaryhahncontest.com/
  2. And one recorded score for an unreleased film:

"Darling Companion"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011 edited
    Cristian wrote
    2012 is going to be a busy year for James Newton Howard. He already has 3 big projects: Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hunger Games, The Bourne Legacy.

In January there is also a concert performed by The Dallas Symphony Orchestra: Masters of Film Music: James Newton Howard https://dallassymphony.com/season-ticke … music.aspx

Another interesting news is that JNH will compose a concert piece for Hilary Hahn. 27 composers are involved in Hilary Hahn Encore' project: http://www.hilaryhahncontest.com/

Let's hope way better than 2011. JNH and Doyle were the biggest off-putting surprises as far as major film composers are concerned.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    That's a bit unfair! What about that JNH score with the... you know... that score with the-- yeah, no, you're right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Green Lantern was a major disappointment but Water for Elephants is one of my favorite scores of the year.

The trailers for his future movies (Snow White and the Huntsman, The Hunger Games) looks A LOT better than Green Lantern or Green Hornet so maybe the producers and directors will give him the opportunity to write something great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    Water for Elephants is a beautiful score and really works for the movie...there are scenes which are just so moving thanks to the picture-music . Green Lantern indeed a disappointment..i'm only enjoying "We are going to fly now"...Btw its a pity he is not collaborating on the Dark Knight Rises (seems so).
  3. We must be watching different trailers. What I saw looks like a different kind of crap.

Why can't he get better quality work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    justin boggan wrote
    We must be watching different trailers. What I saw looks like a different kind of crap.

Well at least they look like a good music opportunity.

justin boggan wrote
    Why can't he get better quality work?

Because there is no such thing at Hollywood anymore with the exception of Terrence Malick but he uses classic music anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's amazing to see the process of a composer working on a train wreck (The Last Airbender) and then scoring something that truly inspired him (Signs) The Last Airbender video just confirms to me the many mistakes both Shammy and Newton Howard made in the musical choices they made for that film while in Signs everything was spot on!

-Erik-

You sure got that right Erik! A top score of all time.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. By that token, though Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood" would have been a good music oppritunity.
    "Green Lantern" would have been a good music oppritunity.
    "300", "Batman Begins", "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (remake), "G.I. Joe", etc., would have been good music oppritunities.

He's taking so many big action flicks on the heels of bigger ones, which themselves were the bottom shelf works of his career thus far, all it seems just because he got hired based on his recent output, and to make a paycheck. Nothing wrong with making a paycheck. Nothing wrong with making a large paycheck, and keeping it all to yourself. But I feel, personally, this is a waste of talent. When you have a gift and just blow it on anything. What if he had passed on early like Kamen, Basil, Shirley, right after scoring "RV" or "Green Hornet"? We may not have a choice when we go, but we have a choice as to artist integrety.

Take Klause Badelt. I guess he got tired of Hollywood. He moved over seas and half his filmsof late are foreign films, and I see comments all the time how his music has improved. His last four American films, have all been replacement scores -- it appears to me he just trying to get some easy money, maybe to upgrade sample libraries, computers, etc., but he's getting a higher quality film base.

I'm not saying J.N.H. has to move overseas and take all of Frederic Talgorn's work away from him, too, but there certainly are lesser budget films, independant films, overseas offers, all kay to good, to even on rare occassion excellent. There are films out there. Let Hanzi's RC Crew take the half-ass superhero garbage and poorly done blockbusters.

A famous film composer, whom I don't recall the name of this moment, said in an interview a long time ago, you're only as good as the people you surround yourself with (I assume he didn't mean compositionally). There's been a noticable decline in Howard's output, all around the time of working with Zimmer on the goddamn Batman film, bringing with him far more often, some of Zimmer's people. I'm suire some of these folks are talented people in their own regard, and some could even compose good music, but attached to a more quality witer like Howard, they bring him down. I know Stuart M. Thomas reads here and even argued back & forth here a little a tie or two, but it's the truth. I'm sure on S.M.T.'s own, he's a very talented man. But...

It all comes down to whether or not he's inspired creatively by these films to do sometyhing. Goodness knows Jerry had his fair share of crummy films, but what did he do? He tried to knock it out of the park every time, or at least give it proper effort. Howard can do whatever he wants, obviously, I just wish he's not waste the talent.

Maybe I'm just hoping for better scores on a more regular basis. Blips are not okay.

Ramble, over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Justin, while I agree with most of what you said, I still maintain that none of this is the composers' faults. I'm fairly certain Jerry would not be allowed to knock anything out of the park in 2011's Hollywood.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. I'm not sure about Jerry there. He certainly was scoring by Ponytail numbers later on, but he had chances coming. Imagine had he gotten better: Rudy Part 2, with "The Game of Their Lives".

John Rambo (when on hte first three films, did he ever provide a bad one?)

An emotional drama, "Last Orders" -- which e was going to do.*

And what was the name of that TV series he was going to do the theme for? UC something or other -- a police drama. When did he ever do a bad TV theme, or bad work for a police TV series?

"Empire Falls".*

He was certainly going to give us some goodies. :-(

* = just wishful thinking. He might have just given another paint-by-numbers for both, given his later period track record.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If he is serious why not attempt some classical material. I think we're talking about money. You don't get paid much to write serious music.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    By that token, though Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood" would have been a good music oppritunity.
    "Green Lantern" would have been a good music oppritunity.
    "300", "Batman Begins", "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (remake), "G.I. Joe", etc., would have been good music oppritunities.

Yes you right, I guess we are talking from our perspective but we have no ideea what movies are inspiring for composers.

justin boggan wrote
    He's taking so many big action flicks on the heels of bigger ones, which themselves were the bottom shelf works of his career thus far, all it seems just because he got hired based on his recent output, and to make a paycheck. Nothing wrong with making a paycheck. Nothing wrong with making a large paycheck, and keeping it all to yourself. But I feel, personally, this is a waste of talent. When you have a gift and just blow it on anything. What if he had passed on early like Kamen, Basil, Shirley, right after scoring "RV" or "Green Hornet"? We may not have a choice when we go, but we have a choice as to artist integrety.

Speculations. We don't know on which criteria he choose his projects. I'm also not happy with some of his movies.

justin boggan wrote
    Take Klause Badelt. I guess he got tired of Hollywood. He moved over seas and half his filmsof late are foreign films, and I see comments all the time how his music has improved. His last four American films, have all been replacement scores -- it appears to me he just trying to get some easy money, maybe to upgrade sample libraries, computers, etc., but he's getting a higher quality film base.

I'm not saying J.N.H. has to move overseas and take all of Frederic Talgorn's work away from him, too, but there certainly are lesser budget films, independant films, overseas offers, all kay to good, to even on rare occassion excellent. There are films out there. Let Hanzi's RC Crew take the half-ass superhero garbage and poorly done blockbusters.

This is exactly what I hope. JNH to move for a period to Europe or Asia and score for a while anime or european movies. That would be great!

justin boggan wrote
    A famous film composer, whom I don't recall the name of this moment, said in an interview a long time ago, you're only as good as the people you surround yourself with (I assume he didn't mean compositionally). There's been a noticable decline in Howard's output, all around the time of working with Zimmer on the goddamn Batman film, bringing with him far more often, some of Zimmer's people. I'm suire some of these folks are talented people in their own regard, and some could even compose good music, but attached to a more quality witer like Howard, they bring him down. I know Stuart M. Thomas reads here and even argued back & forth here a little a tie or two, but it's the truth. I'm sure on S.M.T.'s own, he's a very talented man. But...

I'm sure JNH is surrounded by talented people I see no problem here. My only problem is with the current state of Hollywood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    sdtom wrote
    If he is serious why not attempt some classical material. I think we're talking about money. You don't get paid much to write serious music.
    Tom

He wrote a concert piece for symphony orchestra named I Would Plant A Tree. And this year he is going to write a concert piece for Hilary Hahn.
  6. Some people enjoy the challenge of making music that fits to film. And the big money that can come with it.

Having contacted and read bios of hundred of composers and musicians, I can tell you in the performing musician world, for example, film performance is the bastard child. Many musicians simply refuse to list their film and television credits on their sites, their faculty bios (if they work at olleges, universities, etc) and go on & on about classicial music work. I'm not sure why this occurs. It's of course slipt down the line about evenly. Plenty of sites where musicians list their film credits. Malcom McNab, Brian Kilgore, and Andy Findon for example list plenty.

Perhaps classical msuic making doesn't really interest him on his own for a career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    justin boggan wrote
    Some people enjoy the challenge of making music that fits to film. And the big money that can come with it.

Having contacted and read bios of hundred of composers and musicians, I can tell you in the performing musician world, for example, film performance is the bastard child. Many musicians simply refuse to list their film and television credits on their sites, their faculty bios (if they work at olleges, universities, etc) and go on & on about classicial music work. I'm not sure why this occurs. It's of course slipt down the line about evenly. Plenty of sites where musicians list their film credits. Malcom McNab, Brian Kilgore, and Andy Findon for example list plenty.

Perhaps classical msuic making doesn't really interest him on his own for a career.

I can tell you that Stravinsky called film music wallpaper. Something to fill in the holes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cristian wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

He wrote a concert piece for symphony orchestra named I Would Plant A Tree. And this year he is going to write a concert piece for Hilary Hahn.

I'm glad he's making an attempt.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Last Airbender video just confirms to me the many mistakes both Shammy and Newton Howard made in the musical choices they made for that film while in Signs everything was spot on!

-Erik-

I don't know the film adaption at all but I am interested to know what these "many mistakes in the musical choices" are. The music, to me, is wonderful as heard from the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The music is so totally not the problem. The only problems with that film are that they let Shyamalan write the script (apparently he can't write fantasy like he can write suspense) and that they let him try to direct teenagers (apparently he can't do that either). But the music and the spotting is one of the best parts of the movie. If you can completely forget the failings of the previous 90 minutes, the climactic scene that "Flow Like Water" accompanies is one of the most beautiful marriages of music and image I've ever seen.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote

That, or Hollywood got tired of him wink You'll never know.

As for his later scores, yeah, some good ones came out but i am worried that is also starting to dry up; the other day i found myself listening to an hour of the same metallic loop over a synth drone he called score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blu wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Last Airbender video just confirms to me the many mistakes both Shammy and Newton Howard made in the musical choices they made for that film while in Signs everything was spot on!

-Erik-

I don't know the film adaption at all but I am interested to know what these "many mistakes in the musical choices" are. The music, to me, is wonderful as heard from the CD.

So is Yanni's music. It's FILM music we are talking about here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    I'm sure JNH is surrounded by talented people I see no problem here. My only problem is with the current state of Hollywood.

Well a lot of great gems came out this year as well from the said Hollywood as every other year so Hollywood is not the problem here apparently; very old and dead argument.