• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    James Newton Howard conducting! Nice to see that!

Very interesting interview. I had a hunch that he choose his projects based on collaboration and friendship with directors. He is very loyal.
  1. Nice to finally hear why he's not scoring The Dark Knight Rises. I'm glad that he's going to make references of Powell's music for the Bourne trilogy.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What irritating camera work. But good interview.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    It appears he's entered the Morricone zone of not smiling.

He is a film composer not a comedian.

No shit Sherlock.

p.s. Never heard of dead pan comedians?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012 edited
    It does seem as though he really doesn't want to be there. But then, it was probably bad timing. He sounds a lot more relaxed on the phone in 'Part 2'.

Also, "What advice would you give to somebody hoping to start in the business?" has become one of the most boring questions that pops up in interviews with composers. Dear me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012 edited
    The only other place I've seen JNH conduct is in certain Elton John concerts (the two go way back).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012
    Thor wrote
    The only other place I've seen JNH conduct is in certain Elton John concerts (the two go way back).

Lee posted a clip at Off Topic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote

What clip?

Here is a clip about JNH telling the story of getting hired to be Elton John's keyboardist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3goGcCxl5Y
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote

What clip?

Here is a clip about JNH telling the story of getting hired to be Elton John's keyboardist:

It was on a previous page but here it is...

ELTON

Great version too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thank you for re post.

Nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote

What clip?

It was on a previous page but here it is...

ELTON

Great version too!

Yeah, but JNH is hardly seen!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote

Yeah, but we know he is there conducting the orchestra biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thor wrote

It's an Elton John gig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012
    The score for The Hunger Games will be released on March 20, 2012. No cover art yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Score-Hunger-Game … mp;sr=1-10
  2. Cristian wrote
    The score for The Hunger Games will be released on March 20, 2012. No cover art yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Score-Hunger-Game … mp;sr=1-10

hoping for a return to the good old James Newton Howard. But the movie does look promising
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thank God they announced the score release. I hate that they're putting the attention to the "songs from District 12" disc instead of the score. At least, we know that JNH's music is the only music that it's going to be on the movie.
  4. Tracklist:

1 The Hunger Games 1:10
    2 Katniss Afoot 1:49
    3 Reaping Day 1:35
    4 The Train 1:27
    5 Entering the Capitol 2:28
    6 Preparing the Chariots 1:05
    7 Horn of Plenty 1:59
    8 Penthouse/Training 3:36
    9 Learning the Skills 1:41
    10 The Countdown 1:58
    11 Booby Trap 2:37
    12 Healing Katniss 3:04
    13 Rue's Farewell 5:00
    14 We Could Go Home 1:15
    15 Searching For Peeta 1:27
    16 The Cave 3:13
    17 Muttations 4:45
    18 Tenuous Winners/Returning Home 3:25
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    Anyone heard any of this score yet?
  5. Only a clip of the movie which it has a I Am Legend vibe, which it fits for the story. JNH wrote 80 minutes of music on four weeks (the CD only has 43 minutes of music), and the Lionsgate production notes has listed orchestra and choir, so I'm sure that the score will be the likes of the Shyamalan/I Am Legend vibe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    Four weeks it's not much to write a score but he did that with Waterworld and King Kong so he can deliver under pressure.

By the way that clip contain just a few seconds maybe those seconds aren't on CD. You can't tell how the score will sound.
  6. I'm gonna watch the movie as soon as it comes out, so hoping for a good experience (movie/music wise)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012 edited
    The cellist Maya Beiser just finished recording solos for Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm glad that she and JNH are collaborating again after the great work they did on The Happening. I love solo cello! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm gonna watch the movie as soon as it comes out, so hoping for a good experience (movie/music wise)

The movie looks ridiculous, can't wait for the score though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Wtf Ridiculous? Have you read the books? This is not a teen bopper franchise ala Twilight. It has a great story, filled with action, death, and tragedy.

By the way, the critics aré praising the movie, and a couple have mentioned that the score is epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's certainly getting enough hype.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm also quite interested in the film, which could be described as Battle Royale for the teenage crowd, and is indeed getting glowing reviews.
  8. Take this for what it's worth -- a breif word on his "The Hunger Games" score:

The JNH score is far from fantastic but still a few very good moments with folk or electronic sounds.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
  9. Some random score fan who I guessed managed to hear some/all.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.