• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
    I am not going to judge this "random score fan" but from what I have been able to dig up, T-Bone Burnett has written some additional music for this film, so some Americana flavored score (and not just songs) must be in the mix somewhere. Howard's recent track records, and the film concepts both make electronic sounds a rather inevitable part of this score. So, with these considered, what kind of revealing information has this "random score fan" provided here?
  1. I thought I read T-Bone just simply did songs (which would also be instrumental scoring underneath them). Probably source, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
    Product description for the score album on Amazon.com:

Original score to the 2012 major motion picture composed by James Newton Howard and executive produced by T-Bone Burnett.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012
    yonythemoony wrote
    Wtf Ridiculous? Have you read the books? This is not a teen bopper franchise ala Twilight. It has a great story, filled with action, death, and tragedy.

By the way, the critics aré praising the movie, and a couple have mentioned that the score is epic.

No, i haven't read the books; i just saw the ridiculous trailer numerous times, the whole premise, the cheesy acting, it all looks awful to me, at least in the trailer. My students giggled too during all the screenings of the trailer wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's BATTLE ROYALE isn't it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Battle Royale movies were very, very good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only saw the first one and enjoyed it.

THE HUNGER GAMES looks interesting but it'll be a future DVD rental for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    The Battle Royale movies were very, very good.

Indeed. Dark, and somehow, scary movies. Great scores as well.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    Really?
    I found the only one I saw a very, very, VERY poor man's Lord Of The Flies. And I mean really poor. Think a cross between Greece and Sudan. Horrible.

I kept hoping Godzilla'd pop up and wipe everyone out.
    Ah well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. This one reminds me of the old Schwarzenegger film RUNNING MAN, unavoidably. (Something about the rhythm of the title, the fact that there are games to the death, etc.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012
    I saw The Hunger Games yesterday and I liked both the movie and the score. I can't wait to hear Rue's Farewell and Horn Of Plenty on CD. Rue's Farewell is very moving and powerful in the movie.
  3. Cristian wrote
    I saw The Hunger Games yesterday and I liked both the movie and the score. I can't wait to hear Rue's Farewell and Horn Of Plenty on CD. Rue's Farewell is very moving and powerful in the movie.

agreed, I think Horn of Plenty is the arrival at the arena? That's epic stuff. I love that theme. Rue's farewell is indeed moving. The rest was okay, but I need to hear it on CD first.

7 so far I would say
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    Nice! Other reviews i've heard from people i know said it was horrible. Now who to believe ? Shall i sacrifice my 20 precious euros for tickets ? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited
    Oh and i also heard there's very little music in it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    Shall i sacrifice my 20 precious euros for tickets ? wink

20 euros??? shocked

Well, it wasn't until Thomas and Marie-Lise talked about it yesterday during a little get-together, that I heard about this movie. She had read the first book, and he had seen the movie. During the discussion I often found myself wondering why everyone wants to see children murdering children! In between my shivering, I enjoyed the warm sun and pancakes!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think you got the better part of the deal, Bregt. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    I think you got the better part of the deal, Bregt. smile

hey, we enjoyed the waffles and the sun as well wink
  5. Demetris wrote
    Nice! Other reviews i've heard from people i know said it was horrible. Now who to believe ? Shall i sacrifice my 20 precious euros for tickets ? wink

It's definitely not horrible, but people complained a lot about the shaky cams and out of focus camera work (which I can understand. It created a lot of chaos, which was the general idea I think), plus the ending went by rather quickly and unnatural. I have to see it again (preferably on blu-ray)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    20 euros for 2 cinema tickets is the normal price here. But with a super duper discount i got as the only positive thing from a shitty credit card i got last year, i get them half-priced, so 9 euros that would be for 2 persons. Still, i have to consider giving them to better movies instead smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote

It's definitely not horrible, but people complained a lot about the shaky cams and out of focus camera work (which I can understand. It created a lot of chaos, which was the general idea I think), plus the ending went by rather quickly and unnatural. I have to see it again (preferably on blu-ray)

Thomas is it true that it's mostly unscored?
  6. The movie is a excellent adaptation of the book. And it expands several stuff which didn't had development on it.

No, the movie is not mostly unscored. There's 50 minutes of JNH music, besides a lot of source music, and it's not buried under the sound effects or dialogue. There's even scenes with only music.

The liner notes from the digital booklet:

I’ve been wanting to work with James for years—ever since I met him on a film I wrote,
    DAVE.

In the ensuing years, I was literally envious of other directors when I would hear
    one of James’ brilliant scores. I couldn’t be more thrilled with his music for THE HUNGER
    GAMES. Like all great scores, it sneaks up on you.

I loved it when I heard it but then as I began to mix the film I saw the subtle nuances of what James was doing:
    “Oh, I see how he helped that moment… Wow, that is so subtle how he takes the cue to a darker place right
    there… Gosh, that line never played that well before.” I think you experience great movie
    music with your eyes—it makes the film better. And I owe James a huge debt of gratitude
    for doing just that.

T Bone’s ability to capture the unique tone of this movie was indispensable in THE HUNGER
    GAMES. From the Capitol Anthem by Arcade Fire, to his own haunting melody for
    Katniss’ Lullaby, to his and Arcade Fire’s amazing end title song Abraham’s Daughter, T
    Bone has elevated our film in ways that are hard to explain. I am grateful for his contribution
    and his remarkable talents

The score has a lot of ethnic instruments (dulcimer, cimbalom, celtic violin, shakuhachi, cello, recorder), which really gives the movie a sound of it's own.
  7. Demetris wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote

Thomas is it true that it's mostly unscored?

yes, even some of the action pieces or the dramatic pieces are unscored (which made it harder for me to connect with the film), expect half of the film
  8. yonythemoony wrote
    The movie is a excellent adaptation of the book. And it expands several stuff which didn't had development on it.

No, the movie is not mostly unscored. There's 50 minutes of JNH music, besides a lot of source music, and it's not buried under the sound effects or dialogue. There's even scenes with only music.

considering the movie lasts 140 minutes, and has about 50 minutes of music you say, I would say it it's pretty much unscored wink (comparing it with the recent development to use music through nearly the entire film)

and source music? I've must have been sleeping then because I didn't hear a lot of source music except of James Newton Howard's music
  9. This is the full list of score, source music, and songs used in the movie:

01 - The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard
    02 - Deep In The Meadow (Lullaby) - Jennifer Lawrence and Willow Shields
    03 - Farewell (or "Katniss Hunting" as listed on the website) - Evgueni Galperine and Mariana Tootsie
    04 - Katniss Afoot - James Newton Howard (UNUSED, Replaced with "Farewell")
    05 - Reaping Day - James Newton Howard
    06 - The Train - James Newton Howard
    07 - Entering The Capitol - James Newton Howard
    08 - Preparing The Charriots - James Newton Howard
    09 - Horn Of Plenty - Arranged by James Newton Howard, Composed by Arcade Fire
    10 - Penthouse/Training - James Newton Howard
    11 - Learning The Skills - James Newton Howard
    12 - War - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
    13 - The Countdown - James Newton Howard (UNUSED)
    14 - Sediment - Laurie Spiegel (Replaces The Countdown)
    15 - A Wasp On Her Adbomen - Chas Smith
    16 - Three Movements For Orchestra, Mvt. 1 - Lower Austrian Tonkünstler Orchestra and Kristjan Järvi (Chorus Sine Nomine Conductor)
    NOTE: 15 and 16 are mixed together in the film)
    17 - Healing Katniss - James Newton Howard
    18 - Allt Varð Hljótt - Olafur Arnalds
    19 - Mockingjay Call - Lionsgate (Jennifer Lawrence)
    20 - Booby Trap - James Newton Howard
    21 - Rue's Farewell - James Newton Howard
    22 - Searching For Peeta - James Newton Howard
    23 - The Cave - James Newton Howard
    24 - We Could Go Home - James Newton Howard
    25 - Muttations - James Newton Howard
    26 - Tenuous Winners - James Newton Howard (This is the first minute or so of, Tenuous Winners/Returning Home)
    27 - Marissa Flashback - The Chemical Brothers (From "Hanna" soundtrack)
    28 - Returning Home - James Newton Howard (The rest of Tenuous Winners/Returning Home)
    29 - Abraham's Daughter - Arcade Fire
    30 - Safe & Sound - Taylor Swift Featuring The Civil Wars
    31 - Kingdom Come - The Civil Wars
  10. haha okay, so a mere whistle of 4 notes is now source music? biggrin
    Then indeed the score is full of music

And the 3 songs are featured in the end credits, that doesn't count in the actual movie.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but when I left the theater I was genially surprised with the fact there wasn't that much music (again with the fact every recent film today is chock full of it). Even some of the big action scenes were left unscored
  11. Not source music, but it's music performed in the movie, like Deep In The Meadow.
  12. yonythemoony wrote
    Not source music, but it's music performed in the movie, like Deep In The Meadow.

still, I would say half of the film is left unscored wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What i gather is that some of you were sleeping in the movie which is never a good sign for any movie tongue
  13. Also, other than the second half of the Katniss/Clove fight and the firestorm scene, the action scenes of the film has JNH music or source music.
  14. Demetris wrote
    What i gather is that some of you were sleeping in the movie which is never a good sign for any movie tongue

I wasn't sleeping (merely annoyed by the twlight teens behind my back who kept rephrasing the book) because I never saw a mere warning call as an actual piece of music, and I never included the 3 end credits songs in the actual film. Just expect several action scenes to be left unscored)