• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. yonythemoony wrote
    Also, other than the second half of the Katniss/Clove fight and the firestorm scene, the other action scenes of the film had JNH music or source music.

sorry I didn't notice all that. Perhaps I was more confused about the shaky camera work that I didn't notice it all, but I doubt it.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    What i gather is that some of you were sleeping in the movie which is never a good sign for any movie tongue

I wasn't sleeping (merely annoyed by the twlight teens behind my back who kept rephrasing the book) because I never saw a mere warning call as an actual piece of music, and I never included the 3 end credits songs in the actual film. Just expect several action scenes to be left unscored)

Twilight teens behind you who did what?! That's it, i am not touching this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    What i gather is that some of you were sleeping in the movie which is never a good sign for any movie tongue

I wasn't sleeping (merely annoyed by the twlight teens behind my back who kept rephrasing the book) because I never saw a mere warning call as an actual piece of music, and I never included the 3 end credits songs in the actual film. Just expect several action scenes to be left unscored)

Twilight teens behind you who did what?! That's it, i am not touching this.

I say the twilight teens because there were 3 teenage girls that literally got an orgasm upon seeing the teaser of the final Twilight film, and they were apparently also huge fans of the Hunger Games books
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
  3. lol.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    THE HUNGER GAMES soundclips are now up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunger-Games- … =8-1-spell
  4. Lol, they should have uploaded it before.
  5. Changing the subject, Stuart Thomas tweeted that the score for Snow White and the Huntsman is finished. JNH recorded two hours of music with a 106 piece orchestra and a 80 voices choir in London. He worked again with Maya Beiser for cello solos.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    yonythemoony wrote
    Changing the subject, Stuart Thomas tweeted that the score for Snow White and the Huntsman is finished. JNH recorded two hours of music with a 106 piece orchestra and a 80 voices choir in London. He worked again with Maya Beiser for cello solos.

Sounds glorious so far! Really excited about this one! Bring it on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    Changing the subject, Stuart Thomas tweeted that the score for Snow White and the Huntsman is finished. JNH recorded two hours of music with a 106 piece orchestra and a 80 voices choir in London. He worked again with Maya Beiser for cello solos.

The trailer looks promising too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    yonythemoony wrote

I can't wait for this score! Choir + cello solos lick
  6. Saw THG yesterday with my family. In general, I "liked" it very much, even if the concept is hardly new and you´re not really supposed to feel good about watching teenagers slaughtering each other. I had not read the trilogy, but that will change soon, because I have no intention to wait for the sequels to find out how this thing continues. I applaud the movie for the first half: the build-up is succeeding in creating that sick feeling in your stomach about the whole concept of the games and how the Capitol society is not oblivious to the suffering that their entertainment produces, but actually knows exactly what it´s doing, which makes it even more cruel. The actual games were slightly less interesting, but still well executed, even if the ending felt more than a bit predictable and rushed.

A lot of people complain about the yelling and applauding teenage audience in some screenings, but we were lucky to have a mostly adult audience who thankfully got the message. Two girls behind us were unable to stop whispering through the whole movie about the changes made, or explaining stuff to their boyfriends, who couldn´t care less, and sometimes, in more intimate scenes, it was obvious which male protagonist they preferred, but in general, it was okay.

The thing most distracting was by far the shaky camera work, but I understand why the director chose to do it that way, and I support his decision, even if it was a bit too much. So if you´re a bit sensitive to fast camera movements, stay away from this.

The score served its purpose. I have to give it some more spins to talk about its out-of-movie value, but it fits the movie like the glove, and in certain cases manages to elevate the emotional level painfully well, which is exactly what I want from a JNH score.

I guess you could do worse than spending some bucks on this, but if you don´t have a teenage daughter who will hate you forever if you don´t take her to the theatre for this, a rented BluRay will certainly serve a better purpose, expecially given the shaky cam thing and the audience problems.
  7. Score mixing for Snow White nearly complete. Shawn Murphy creating an amazing sound with James' music. #SWATH

I hope this time the 80 voices choir can be properly mixed, unlike THG (at least on the CD).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    yonythemoony wrote
    Score mixing for Snow White nearly complete. Shawn Murphy creating an amazing sound with James' music. #SWATH

I hope this time the 80 voices choir can be properly mixed, unlike THG (at least on the CD).

I am already worried. Another synth choir on CD? Please no!
  8. Cristian wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Score mixing for Snow White nearly complete. Shawn Murphy creating an amazing sound with James' music. #SWATH

I don't mind a synth choir, as long as it's properly used (remember Lair?)
  9. The thing is, why bother to use a huge chorus if you can't hear it on the cd or film?
    • CommentAuthorstuthomas
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Cristian wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Real choir on THG since we recorded it in London. Same with Snow White.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012 edited
    There's something wrong with the choir? I didn't quite notice. Not sure if it'd help had they mixed it more to the front though. That's what they did for the third Narnia score and I thought that was annoying.
  10. I don't hear any glitch with the strings. About the choir, JNH never mix them really loud, but you can hear it very well on his scores (like in I Am Legend), here you can't. I mean, you have the full London Voices performing Horn Of Plenty, but it's almost drowned by the orchestra and percussion, and you can't notice the lyrics they're singing.

But I'm talking about the CD. On the film, the choir on The Train, Entering The Capitol and Horn Of Plenty had a better mix.

Which is like the case with King Kong, Beauty Killed The Beast IV had a boy soprano with his voice mixed on the front, and the V cue had a choir on the last two minutes barely audible.

On the complete score, the boy soprano has a lower mix, and the choir is much more at the front.

On Hunger Games, JNH uses a vocal soloist in a couple of cues, but unlike King Kong, her voice is as low mixed as the choir.

And this is not just about the choir. JNH's own Green Lantern is a example of a huge symphonic orchestra being drowned by synths, guitars and electronics.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    yonythemoony wrote
    On the film, the choir on The Train, Entering The Capitol and Horn Of Plenty had a better mix.

Isn't that because the 5.1 mixes used in films often makes it easier to hear different layers of sound than in 2.0 stereo mix?
  11. Possibly. There's scores which have a different mix for 5.1 audio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    you´re not really supposed to feel good about watching teenagers slaughtering each other.

Are you? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    stuthomas wrote
    Cristian wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Any sound samples available?
  12. Demetris wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    you´re not really supposed to feel good about watching teenagers slaughtering each other.

Are you? wink

Very funny. tongue

No, definitely not. It shouldn´t need saying, but given how a lot of midnight premieres were full of marauding teenage audiences who applauded every "kill", it´s better to be safe. ^^

I was simply referring to the fact that its both a good and depressing movie.
  13. But thinking about raising the levels of excitement...

...it would be more fun if they replaced the fighting teenagers with former reality show hosts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    stuthomas wrote
    Cristian wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

That's good. smile
  14. Like it wasn't enough with having Danny Elfman, T-Bone Burnett, Arcade Fire, Taylor Swift, The Chemical Brothers, and other composers which music is used, composed, and inspired by the movie, Michael Wandmacher is the one who created Rue's 4 notes motif:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXvThLgqZs
  15. 3 new reviews:

- Dying Young
    - Green Lantern
    - The Hunger Games
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - Green Lantern

Blimey, that's a kind review!