• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Unfortunately a lot of cues are repeated/tracked. I don't think there's much of note that wasn't on the (already quite generous) album
  2. You may be right. I've seen the film numerous times and never another moment struck me as something I had to own, apart from what I have already.

Also one of those examples of a superbly crafted score album, like with Lost in Space by Broughton, or Horner's The Rocketeer, and I'm afraid the completely score will alter the experience of that album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017
    Not only my favourite JNH score, but one of my Top 10 scores of all time. But even the original album is borderline too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017
    the first snowhite and the hunter whatever the title was anyway, was a great jnh score in my books smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. That score has some really fantastic moments, and some disappointing ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That score has some really fantastic moments, and some disappointing ones.

Yes, same as with MALEFICENT and FANTASTIC BEASTS, for example. It's been a while since the last work by JNH that was consistently good throughout. I liked PAWN SACRIFICE as a whole, but that is mostly due to its brevity. Not a lot of room and time for disappointing tracks.

Other than that, I think I have to go back all the way to THE VILLAGE (2004) to find a consistently excellent score by one of my favourite composers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017 edited
    Signs for me. 2002. Everything after was not as great.

And you know what I would next love to post man? About the imminent expansion of 'A Perfect Murder'.

dizzy

shocked

I meant 'The Postman'.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Maleficent; Lady in the Water and Fantastic Beasts are my favourites. And Redemption from Flatliners is my single favourite cue. That score needs a legit release!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Maleficent; Lady in the Water and Fantastic Beasts are my favourites. And Redemption from Flatliners is my single favourite cue. That score needs a legit release!

Volker

Now, FLATLINERS, that's in a whole other league. Although I have a soft spot for his 80s outings (especially the electronic music), the 90s was JNH's decade. Just one great score after the other. In the 2000s and 2010s, it's been more sporadic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That score has some really fantastic moments, and some disappointing ones.

Yes, same as with MALEFICENT and FANTASTIC BEASTS, for example. It's been a while since the last work by JNH that was consistently good throughout. I liked PAWN SACRIFICE as a whole, but that is mostly due to its brevity. Not a lot of room and time for disappointing tracks.

Other than that, I think I have to go back all the way to THE VILLAGE (2004) to find a consistently excellent score by one of my favourite composers.

that, along with signs, the happening
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Maleficent; Lady in the Water and Fantastic Beasts are my favourites. And Redemption from Flatliners is my single favourite cue. That score needs a legit release!

Volker

Does it ever !

I remember recording the score to audio cassette from the VHS tape. This was from my before my serious collecting days (I think late 90s).

And we're now in 2017 and still no official release. sad

Redemption should've been on a compilation album already...
  6. Indeed Silva (or whoever) should produce a compilation of re-recorded suites of JNH, highlighting all that gorgeous choral stuff he does and of course Redemption included. That would be awesome!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Marc wrote
    Here's a cover I did of two of the last cues from King Kong.
    I've re-recorded all of the horns and trumpets ( that is an 8-Horn section & 3 Tpts ) plus a bunch of other fun parts wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFAVGK1thE

I've been watching your channel recently but had no idea you were on the board! You have great stuff, man!

Thank you !
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017 edited
    Here are the horns & trumpets from Jim Saves the Crew, one of the (awesome) action cues from Treasure Planet smile

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WEFAIWC1aU
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017
    Are some of my favorite Belgians going to the JNH concert in Antwerp btw?
  7. Caliburn wrote
    Are some of my favorite Belgians going to the JNH concert in Antwerp btw?

yep, and I'm taking my girlfriend (recently a bonafied converged filmmusic listener smile ) and my parents in law with me (for them it will be the first time). Considering I saw the program I'm thinking they will have a good time wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017
    Hope to see you there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2018
    Hey maintitles, at what point did you realize James Newton Howard's "Hunger Games" scores were the best scores of the last decade?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Hey maintitles, at what point did you realize James Newton Howard's "Hunger Games" scores were the best scores of the last decade?

They're OK.

I had no interest or awareness of them initially (even after having seen the movies), but when I got the Silva compilation, some great musical moments appeared. But of course, that's all highlights. I still don't rate either of them above 'OK' on an individual level.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

They're OK.

I had no interest or awareness of them initially (even after having seen the movies), but when I got the Silva compilation, some great musical moments appeared. But of course, that's all highlights. I still don't rate either of them above 'OK' on an individual level.

heresy!
  8. Thor wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

They're OK.

I think these scores are really good. No masterpieces but really good all the same. I don't like the Silva re-recordings as they diverge from the specific sound of the original recordings too much. Yet I used the album as a template for my own playlist.

Volker
  9. Aidabaida wrote

Good one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2018
    Well we have a "pretty good" and a "really good" but no "YES AIDABAIDA THIS IS A MASTERPIECE ALL HAIL JAMES NEWTON HOWARD"
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2018
    I'm content with the Silva re-recording but even that has a little too much rehash so I prune some tracks out. The full soundtracks are interminable.
  10. They're a bit like the Game of Thrones scores in that you could assemble a one-disc highlights reel that makes the scores sound fantastic, but when you realize that you're culling that one disc from 6+ hours of music suddenly it's not that impressive after all.
  11. Game of Thrones and Hunger Games are comparable in that they neither follow the romantic - symphonic tradition not cater to the RC/Zimmer school of scoring but try to create an individual, recognizable musical idiom. Djawadi has matured enormously as a composer during the course of Game of Thrones IMO.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2018
    Signs is the score that all Howard films should be judged by. It is in my top 100!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2018
    Listened to his new score Red Sparrow and found it was quite classical in nature. He used Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky as models for it.
    listen to more classical music!
  12. My review of RED SPARROW, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/03/06/red- … on-howard/

Jon