• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    http://www.vantageguilds.com

Click on "Defiance", then move your mouse on "Score" and refresh he page while clicking it and it comes up; hidden, but it's there.

Complete tracks!

OR... you can download the media kit on the page which contains the entire soundtrack!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    He's my Godfather.

He's my FATHER. shocked

No. I am your father!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I thought you were Spartac......oh...ok....shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. David wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    http://www.vantageguilds.com

Click on "Defiance", then move your mouse on "Score" and refresh he page while clicking it and it comes up; hidden, but it's there.

Complete tracks!

OR... you can download the media kit on the page which contains the entire soundtrack!

Will do THAT
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    Do we know who's responsible for the violin soli in DEFIANCE? They remind me of Hilary Hahn's playing for THE VILLAGE, a lot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    From conductor Nick Ingram's website:

On the film front, I was very happy to work again with top Hollywood composer, James Newton Howard on a new film, "Defiance", starring Daniel Craig.

The harrowing film tells the true story of the Warsaw Ghetto in World War Two, and how many of the inmates survived by building a secret community in the woods, undetected by the Nazis for almost four years. The wonderful score which I conducted was enhanced by the brilliant violin playing of Joshua Bell, who was truly inspirational. and drew gasps of admiration from the string players in the orchestra with his dazzling technique.

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    He's my Godfather.

He's my FATHER. shocked

No. I am your father!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I thought you were Spartac......oh...ok....shame

Still struggling with you're Toretticus Tony Curticus affliction I see!? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    From conductor Nick Ingram's website:

On the film front, I was very happy to work again with top Hollywood composer, James Newton Howard on a new film, "Defiance", starring Daniel Craig.

The harrowing film tells the true story of the Warsaw Ghetto in World War Two, and how many of the inmates survived by building a secret community in the woods, undetected by the Nazis for almost four years. The wonderful score which I conducted was enhanced by the brilliant violin playing of Joshua Bell, who was truly inspirational. and drew gasps of admiration from the string players in the orchestra with his dazzling technique.

smile

Thanks! Both of those musicians have a tremendous experience in the field, especially Joshua and i find that they have a lot of similarities in their playing, when it comes to this kind of scores.

Defiance is easily one of the most beautiful and organic musical works for film, for 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I have to agree with you there D. I honestly didn't think much of it on my first listen but it's slowly revealing itself. The more delicate moments are just beautiful but on the whole I admire the approach to this score, very moody and atmospheric.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    I have to agree with you there D. I honestly didn't think much of it on my first listen but it's slowly revealing itself. The more delicate moments are just beautiful but on the whole I admire the approach to this score, very moody and atmospheric.

Check out my playlist in the NP thread to see if it makes a better listen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Check out my playlist in the NP thread to see if it makes a better listen?

I didn't think it had so much underscore in it? Most the cues are led by the passionate soli of Joshua and cello passages into wholly melodic and emotional results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yeah there aren't too many uninteresting moments but thanks for the suggestion Steven. I'm sure I'll love this score soon though. JNH rarely disappoints (me). wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The album has different cue names, so hopefully it makes for a better listen than the online one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defiance-Origin … amp;sr=8-3

I'm really looking forward to it, this is one I will actually buy! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, now I'm confused. The 'album' you download in the media package is different to the official album. The album on the website is the official album except for the last track; 15. The Bielski Brothers/Ikh Bin A Mame.

Weird.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    I have only listened to the 7 first tracks and i liked it... a lot. spin

Not really what i was expecting (i had no idea of what the movie is about, i had Blood Diamond in my mind), but i'm glad is totally different. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    Give it listens, you'll bound to love it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Okay, now I'm confused. The 'album' you download in the media package is different to the official album. The album on the website is the official album except for the last track; 15. The Bielski Brothers/Ikh Bin A Mame.

Weird.

Well, since that site is meant to be encouraging people to vote for the score, not the additional track, i think it's quite logic that they didn't include the 15th song.

Aaaaah... i love free music (kinda) spin
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  2. No, no, no

The soundtrack in the media kit is the whole score. Look at the track titles, they sound very cue sheet like. Tuvia Kills Policeman? Two "Camp Montages"?

I think that's what an Academy Promo would be. The official release will be different.

Also "Bielski Brothers" may be an end credit suite.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Here is the final Track Listing with running times for the CD realise:

1 Defiance Main Titles Simple Track 2:28

2 Survivors Simple Track 2:12

3 Make Them Count Simple Track 2:37

4 Your Wife Simple Track 3:07

5 The Bielski Otriad Simple Track 5:17

6 Bella and Zus Simple Track 2:16

7 Exodus Simple Track 4:29

8 Camp Montage Simple Track 2:22

9 The Wedding Simple Track 1:35

10 Winter Simple Track 2:00

11 Escaping the Ghetto Simple Track 1:32

12 Police Station Simple Track 4:37

13 Tuvia Kisses Lilka Simple Track 3:16

14 Nothing is Impossible Simple Track 7:32

15 The Bielski Brothers/Ikh Bin A Mame Simple Track 4:21

Source: Sony classical

All beste,
    -Basil
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks. Do you have a url for that please? I tried searching but they have one of the most confusing, full of "404" links-sites i've ever seen.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Actually no, sorry!

I've got the informations of the labelmanager himself.
  3. What is "Simple Track"?
  4. That will certainly be a bit shorter than the press kit!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    Academy disqualifies 'Dark' score
    By JON BURLINGAME

The score for "The Dark Knight" has been disqualified by the executive committee of the Academy music branch.

Formal letters to that effect are expected to go out this week to composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, who collaborated on the music.

Their previous collaboration, on "Batman Begins," was similarly disqualified in 2005.

Sources inside the committee said that the big issue was the fact that five names were listed as composers on the music cue sheet, the official studio document that specifies every piece of music (along with its duration and copyright owner) in the film.

Zimmer said, in an interview with Variety prior to this week's Acad action, that listing multiple names on the cue sheet was a way of financially rewarding parts of the music team who helped make the overall work successful. (Performing-rights societies like ASCAP and BMI use the cue sheet to distribute royalties to composers.)

Zimmer, Howard and the other three individuals -- music editor Alex Gibson, ambient music designer Mel Wesson and composer Lorne Balfe -- reportedly signed an affidavit stating that the score was primarily the work of Zimmer and Howard.

That apparently wasn't enough for the majority of the committee, which was also supplied with documentation indicating that more than 60%, but less than 70%, of the score was credited to Zimmer and Howard.

The "Dark Knight" score -- and the whole issue of multiple-composer collaboration, which is on the rise in Hollywood these days -- has occupied about four hours of discussion over the past two executive committee meetings.

Some members sided with Zimmer and Howard; citing the originality and cutting-edge nature of the music, they urged others to keep the "Dark Knight" score eligible despite the cue-sheet issue.

Both Zimmer and Howard declined comment on the ruling. Both are seven-time nominees; Zimmer won for "The Lion King."

Discuss. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Doesn't really bother me. It is indeed effective for the film, but on its own... slant
    I would hope it would not win anyway. But every since Brokeback...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Doesn't really bother me. It is indeed effective for the film, but on its own... slant
    I would hope it would not win anyway. But every since Brokeback...

The score to Dark Knight was wallpaper IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This should only be in the Zimmer thread, imo wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    Discuss. smile

Shrug.
    Discussion closed. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    lp wrote
    Discuss. smile

Shrug.
    Discussion closed. smile

Hahahaha...LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What's the news value of this?

Again, the marketing surrounding this soundtrack is extreme.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    This should only be in the Zimmer thread, imo wink

I would rather discuss here. I like Howard better. biggrin

Martijn wrote
    lp wrote
    Discuss. smile

Shrug.