• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008 edited
    confused

I am a little bit disappointed to see that this site endorses bootlegs by publishing reviews of them - although 1001 Nights is not available commercially, I do believe that this sends very dubious signals.

rolleyes

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008 edited
    Finally a comment.

I know. smile

Thomas used to publish reviews of bootlegs regularly. No one ever commented on that (probably because of the not so big amount of visitors, although, they pop up high in searh engines). Also a lot of people visited his site because of that reason, including several of the regular forum members here.

Anyway, I wanted to know the reaction when published on this site.

Not sure what I'll do now.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    In my opinion, if Thomas wants to review scores in this "grey zone", stick to promos that at least are endorsed by the composer or the studio. And if you want to review "1001 Nights" by David Newman specifically, why not review the score "as heard in the film"?

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    moviescore wrote
    In my opinion, if Thomas wants to review scores in this "grey zone", stick to promos that at least are endorsed by the composer or the studio. And if you want to review "1001 Nights" by David Newman specifically, why not review the score "as heard in the film"?

mc

A better idea indeed.

Most of them are discovered that way anyway.
    Kazoo
  1. moviescore wrote

mc

Yeah, we were waiting for a remark on that reviewing bootlegs. I have indeed reviewed various bootlegs and promo's before. Because for me it was important to review how many good scores were still out there, unreleased so to speak off. My concern was never to promote bootlegs because I'm totally against that.

However I think "reviewing bootleg and promo's" in a section as heard in the film sounds much safer and wise to me as well. I think we can work something out on that fact, don't we Bregt?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Already taken care of.
    Kazoo
  2. I'd keep it listed under 'Recent Reviews' all the same. Reviews should be read, whether someone has found it fit to release the score or not.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Mikael, with your knowledge of what's been endorsed as a composer promo or is just a bootleg (sometimes boots are paraded as being legitimate promos) would you be willing to give an opinion if you were PM'd with a question?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008
    Sure!

mc
  4. Big honkin' deal; his site won't get shut down because of reviews. Bregt can whatever, and unless there are plans to release scores in the future, there is no line to tip-toe on. Even FSM started selling their CDs through a label that was selling bootleg and promos regularly.

And, lest you all forgot, people talk about them in the Now Playing threads.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008
    No one can prevent fans to discuss their favourite music, be it bootlegs or promos or whatever. But reviewing them is a big difference in my opinion. What the reviewer is writing about a CD that 1) few will ever get their hands on, 2) probably doesn't present the work the way the composer intended it, 3) does violate copyright laws.

mc
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Big honkin' deal; her site won't get shut down because of reviews. Bregt can whatever,....

You are aware that Bregt is a man? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    shocked shocked shocked

An unbelievable revelation!

Yer shittin me shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Well, there's a female member called Bregje and a male site owner called Bregt. No wonder people get confused.

Sometimes in my darker moments I consider changing my nick to Bregtje just to make the confusion complete.

Peter smile
  6. Oh, come on Mikael, reviewing is not illegal. Owning or duplicating, or making a bootleg is.

IF you really want ot get into it, you don't have any Academey promos do you? Because those are only for memebers.

And also, sometimes bootlegs get official release. Why, just these passed three years these bootlegs had official releases (from memory):

"Saturn 3"
    "Capricorn One"
    "Bill & Ted 2"
    "Matilda"
    "Ghostbusters"
    "The Monster Squad"
    and, of course, "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Sometimes in my darker moments I consider changing my nick to Bregtje just to make the confusion complete.

That's my nickname my friends called me because I was a not so tall guy. Now I'm slightly taller then them. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    justin boggan wrote
    Oh, come on Mikael, reviewing is not illegal. Owning or duplicating, or making a bootleg is.

Of course it's not illegal - but is it any way relevant to review bootlegs? The problem is that the reviewer is judging a score from a presentation that is (usually) not endorsed by the artist or the studio. Many boots just contain the full unedited score recording, not properly mixed for CD.

Promos is a different ballgame.

mc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    plindboe wrote

That's my nickname my friends called me because I was a not so tall guy. Now I'm slightly taller then them. biggrin

Hah! Now you can beat them up and give them 'chinese burns' cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. moviescore wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Oh, come on Mikael, reviewing is not illegal. Owning or duplicating, or making a bootleg is.

Of course it's not illegal - but is it any way relevant to review bootlegs? The problem is that the reviewer is judging a score from a presentation that is (usually) not endorsed by the artist or the studio. Many boots just contain the full unedited score recording, not properly mixed for CD.

Promos is a different ballgame.

mc

Anyhoo, I've decided with Bregt that we will review the bootlegs as heard in the film. Considering Baby: Secret of a Lost Legend, Mathilda, Bill & Ted Bogus Journey, ... are now available as legit releases, I strongly believe that others will follow and soon bootlegs will be largely diminished in number.

I however don't know all the time if this is a boot or a promo, a question Alan pointed out in this tread. I would love to know more of it actually
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is certainly more than enough material that is legitimate to review that is available to most on this forum. I'm not sure that I understand the reasoning about discussing material that you can't get. Perhaps all of this material is something for a separate site?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  8. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be much unreleased material that isn't available in some form - and once it is available, it doesn't seem to take long for it to circulate (Giacchino's music for Cloverfield is a good case in point). I can see how reviewing unreleased material can be an aid for people who are thinking of acquiring the score-in-question.

Reviewing the music "as heard in the film" is quite a good way of getting around the issue of providing an opinion on the unreleased music - you just need to remember to refer back to the film once in a while!!

I think that Tom makes a good point - there's more than enough official releases to review. Maybe keeping back reviews of unreleased material until Intrada/FSM/etc finally release the music would be a good compromise?

I'm not sure how a music label would feel sending promo copies of CDs to a site for reviewing when the site reviews unreleased music. Any comments on this last point, Mikael, as someone who owns a label?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Whether you hate or love the release of bootlegs you can look at it this way: the more bootlegs find their way to people (by reading reviews, by discussing it, by hearing it) the more people will push the companies to release the undiscovered gems. The company execs discover there really is a market for scores that are 10, 20 or 30 years old. People will buy them, where they were only available on the black market before. In the past bootlegs were all over the place, but slowly they're replaced with the real deal. So you cannot ignore that bootlegs have or have had their importance. If my favourites (Aliens, Predator, Ghostbusters, etc.) weren't released by now, I'd still be holding on to my copies. And reading about them can only inject more interest in them. And record companies take notice (hopefully), which is great for us.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. There's always the comment that bootlegs would reduce the level of sales for any of these scores if they were to appear as official releases. But isn't it the case that time after time this is proved wrong when limited official releases of bootlegged CDs sell out?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not sure how a music label would feel sending promo copies of CDs to a site for reviewing when the site reviews unreleased music. Any comments on this last point, Mikael, as someone who owns a label?

Nah... while I don't like to see bootlegs reviewed for the reasons given earlier, I don't mind having my own CDs reviewed at the same place. One of my points is: why review bootlegs no one can buy legally when there are so many commercially released score albums coming out every week?

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Whether you hate or love the release of bootlegs you can look at it this way: the more bootlegs find their way to people (by reading reviews, by discussing it, by hearing it) the more people will push the companies to release the undiscovered gems. The company execs discover there really is a market for scores that are 10, 20 or 30 years old. People will buy them, where they were only available on the black market before. In the past bootlegs were all over the place, but slowly they're replaced with the real deal. So you cannot ignore that bootlegs have or have had their importance. If my favourites (Aliens, Predator, Ghostbusters, etc.) weren't released by now, I'd still be holding on to my copies. And reading about them can only inject more interest in them. And record companies take notice (hopefully), which is great for us.

Quoted for brilliance.

I'd hate to think this place becoming like FSM, with the almost religious zeal concerning boots and downloading. I understand their arguments and agree with some of what they say, but I think the knee-jerk anger might be counterproductive to their cause. If DreamTheater is right; that boots might raise awareness and demand, then they should be encouraged.

Peter smile
  11. Its true that there is enough material out there that warrants reviews. The thing is that most of these were reviewed years before the sudden splash of releases. So I guess we'll stick to the more common releases considering practically everything is released nowadays. We'll see how this continues

But I think my brother might be right about one thing. Take for instance Transformers, a bootleg and popular demand took the label's interest so firmly that they decided to inject money into an already circulating score. I hate going for the black market deal but I guess we all must admit that we all heard or have scores like Spider-Man 3 in our possession. Its because we believe and think that good music warrants a release and that there is an audience for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008
    But we want your take on the music Tommy! People value my opinion on a particular old score as to whether or not to make a $20 investment.
    listen to more classical music!
  12. sdtom wrote
    But we want your take on the music Tommy! People value my opinion on a particular old score as to whether or not to make a $20 investment.

Uhu, and I'll do my best not to let those people down shame biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008
    Tommy_Boy, you always let me down, 24 hours per day! I hope that makes you feel better tongue