• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    This is what a score would sound like if you designed a piece of software to compose a Horner score.

Well, you're not wrong. But I bet there are many who would pay a rather absurd amount of money for such software were it able to accept a variety of parameters... wave
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    There'd be no getting round the Four Note Danger motif. The software would crash if you tried to stop it from using that.
  1. Southall wrote
    You see, I'm (fairly obviously) a big Horner nutcase and I've never noticed any similarity with Zorro. Is there a chance that if you're not looking, you don't find? And you can enjoy more as a result?

I felt it quite strongly with We're Cristeros Now. Frankly, the reason why I started to pick things out was being quite bored on my first listen and suddenly noticed like 80% of his career made its way there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    Southall wrote
    You see, I'm (fairly obviously) a big Horner nutcase and I've never noticed any similarity with Zorro. Is there a chance that if you're not looking, you don't find? And you can enjoy more as a result?

Blinded by love in your case I think! biggrin

Like I've said, self-borrowing usually doesn't bother me, and I even go further than most seem to and actually enjoy that aspect of Horner's approach. But this score seemed to rely far too much on reusing old material without actually coming up with its own unique 'colour', as Horner would say. This score might as well be a Horner compilation.
  2. I happened to love Cristiada/For Greater Glory. Even with the borrowing, which I usually don't care about, and the Danger motif, there was enough quality and good music for me to enjoy it.
  3. I actually really like For Greater Glory. It's my favorite of his post-Avatar scores (having not heard Wolf Totem yet, mind you). When it comes to derivative scores, I basically play it by gut. Someone who takes the temp-track and alters it slightly without much effort I'll roll my eyes at. Someone who takes prior material and reworks it in (more or less) new ways that feel fresh, I really don't care about. Plus I'll take anything from Horner that sounds like Zorro, even a little. punk

The one moment in that score that takes it too far for me is the Braveheart inspirational speech rip in "Men Will Fire Bullets, But God Will Decide When to Write Unwieldy Cue Titles".
  4. It downright cracked me up when I watched the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015
    Another new Horner concert work (Collage: Concerto for four horns and orchestra) premieres in London three weeks from today:

http://www.lpo.org.uk/whats-on-and-tick … ssics.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015 edited
    I'd forgotten about that, despite tweeting it last June!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Another new Horner concert work (Collage: Concerto for four horns and orchestra) premieres in London three weeks from today:

http://www.lpo.org.uk/whats-on-and-tick … ssics.html

That's nice. What's up with the turban fellow in the new avatar?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a recent picture of myself. (I changed religion.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Figures.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not tolerate apostates.
  5. Southall wrote

Salam aleikum, sayyid. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Southall when listening to a bad score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

Salam aleikum, sayyid. wink

How dare you? No man passes wind before my wife.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something and forgive me if so, but, is such humor really considered appropriate here? slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Namaste Sri Mr James Mr James Singh.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something and forgive me if so, but, is such humor really considered appropriate here? slant

I just consulted with the bhagwan orange sky mountain tulip and he said Yes! it IS alright!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Between Southall's new avatar (is that from Tintin???) and Scribe having one in the first place, I don't know where I am anymore. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

You're quite right, this is all quite offensive. We need some sensitivity training!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hmm. I guess my sense of humor is missing a section. tongue
  8. I get it! It's the cult of the Super Duper, Super Natural, Third Eye! wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. My review of WOLF TOTEM, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/03/11/wolf- … es-horner/

Jon
  10. Jon, I want to listen to WOLF TOTEM with you, discus great film music and in the process get seriously drunk. wink

Volker
  11. If you're ever in Los Angeles, it's a date! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015
    I just heard the word 'drunk'. I'm gAME!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015
    Question for everyone: consider the main theme of Wolf Totem. If you could ascribe one word or phrase to the emotion or abstract sensation this theme creates in your mind/heart/spirit, what would it be? Feel free to elaborate on your choice.